• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Noah Syndergaard - Angels Agree to 1-Year, $21 Million Deal

Lhalo

I’m mixed on it but 

angels are gonna have to overpay to get talent here. This isn’t a top destination at the moment. Especially with players that want to contend 

I’ll take this one year deal over any one year deals to a lot of the bargain picking they’ve done in the last 

An excerpt from the article:

"Justin Verlander and Max Scherzer would obviously be ideal but are also probably unlikely. A trade for a younger, more controllable arm is probably the more practical route.

Syndergaard was a dynamo early on, with a 2.93 ERA and 573 strikeouts in 518 1/3 innings from 2015 to 2018 despite missing significant time with a torn lat muscle. In 2019, which amounted to his last full season, he posted a 4.28 ERA and a 3.60 fielding independent pitching in 197 2/3 innings, striking out 202 batters and walking 50. His four-seam and two-seam fastballs still clocked in the upper-90s, but he didn't miss nearly as many bats as he should have.

Then came Tommy John surgery in March of 2020, then a setback stemming from elbow inflammation in May of 2021, then a return in late September. It amounted to two one-inning stints, where his fastballs navigated in the mid-90s. But it's probably best not to draw anything from that, which means who Syndergaard is moving forward, and specifically what he can be for the Angels in 2022, is a mystery. It also means there's no telling whether this deal will finally help the pitching-deprived Angels get over the top or whether it will leave them near the middle of the pack.

But it's the type of move they needed to make.

Grade: B"

"When we suck again in 2022, we just want another injury to blame." ~ Perry Minasian

This is a...strange move. $21M? Jeez. First of all, I'm surprised Syndergaard didn't accept his QO, which is reasonable for a guy in his situation. But he held out and he got the Angels to give him a lottery ticket.

It does make me think that Arte's opening up the purse strings beyond the predicted $50M. Now they really need a second starter, and a dependable one - Stroman being the most likely candidate, or possibly Gausman (my preference). If they had started with Stroman, I'd think they could either fill out the rotation with in-house guys or maybe re-up Cobb or go after DeScaflani. But I doubt their plan is Syndergaard/Cobb.

Another glass half full element of this: It signals to other free agents that the Angels mean business. Stroman, Gausman, Raisel, even Taylor, see this move and think, "OK, they want to win. I'm listening."

Bottom line (for me): I'm OK with this move if it means that Arte is OK with surpassing the luxury tax this year, and this is considered their second starter acquisition. I'm not OK with this if its Syndergaard instead of Stroman or Gausman.

2 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

Except there is documented history of being able to address a bullpen with smart, not necessarily expensive moves.  There is documented history of teams being able to win with an OK shortstop.  And I honestly don’t see the panic at catcher.

There is really not a whole lot of documented history of teams winning with no decent starting pitching.

The Angels are not done.  I expect many, many more moves.

Not having those other things resolved yet does not make this signing a bad move.

Certainly not with recent Angel teams.

I'd prefer to sign one of the big five that's left over when the rest of them sign, but I also think there are more teams in need of a SS than legit FA SS.

Yankees will definitely sign one. Seager is my guess.

Dodgers may bring back Seager, but likely will not. They also probably resign Chris Taylor. Lux can play SS or 2nd, which ever Trea Turner does not. I doubt they'd be in play for Correa, Baez, Story, or Semien even though they have unlimited budget.

Astros could resign Correa, or try to bring in one of the others.

Blue Jays are in on a SS. Probably Semien.

Mariners could, but it's unlikely with Crawford.

Texas will be in play for a SS. Story probably.

Tigers probably try to sign Correa to reunite him with his former manager.

So Angels will have to pay for Semien, Story or Baez, and I don't see it happening if they sign another big arm and also bring back Raisel.

So who's left via trade? Certainly Paul DeJong and Didi Gregorious or Jean Segura will be available, perhaps Ketel Marte to play second. Merrifeld is always rumored. Andrus could be had, but why. And I'm sure there are more names too.

So just to clarify, I'm pretty sure that if someone else signs Iglesias then the Angels would lose that pick and not their 2nd rounder.  I believe it's the 2nd pick you have and not just the 2nd rounder.  Which to me makes not trading Iglesias that much more stupid but I'm already on record for that.  

I like this deal if he's healthy of course.  My favorite part is that it decreases the chances of trading away Adell or Marsh to get a TOR starter but I'm still very anxious.  

But it also means that we're not getting one of a FA SS or Iglesias unless Arte decides to go big.  I'm not gonna stop being worried until those two pieces plus another SP happens.  But it's a solid first step.  

And Minasian can be wrong on this.  If he's not healthy or doesn't perform well then it's likely going to be the difference between whether the Angels make the playoffs or not.  And if he does well and other stuff falls apart around it then you've got a monster trade piece for the deadline which I really like as well.  

4 minutes ago, Lou said:

Can someone post a list of our 2nd round picks over the last decade? 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/?team_ID=ANA&draft_round=2&draft_type=junreg&query_type=franch_round

Last seven years (2015-21, no pick 2020): Ky Bush, Kyren Paris, Jeremiah Jackson, Griffin Canning, Brandon Marsh, Jahmai Jones

1st rounders over the same period: Sam Bachman, Reid Detmers, Will Wilson, Jordyn Adams, Joe Adell, Matt Thaiss, Taylor Ward

Just now, Dochalo said:

So just to clarify, I'm pretty sure that if someone else signs Iglesias then the Angels would lose that pick and not their 2nd rounder.  I believe it's the 2nd pick you have and not just the 2nd rounder.  Which to me makes not trading Iglesias that much more stupid but I'm already on record for that.  

I like this deal if he's healthy of course.  My favorite part is that it decreases the chances of trading away Adell or Marsh to get a TOR starter but I'm still very anxious.  

But it also means that we're not getting one of a FA SS or Iglesias unless Arte decides to go big.  I'm not gonna stop being worried until those two pieces plus another SP happens.  But it's a solid first step.  

And Minasian can be wrong on this.  If he's not healthy or doesn't perform well then it's likely going to be the difference between whether the Angels make the playoffs or not.  And if he does well and other stuff falls apart around it then you've got a monster trade piece for the deadline which I really like as well.  

What am I missing here?  The pick they get if someone else signs Iglesias would still be a 2nd round pick.  Depending on who signs him, it could be a higher or lower pick in the 2nd round than the one the Angels would have based on their record from this season--but it would still be a 2nd round pick.  So they'd lose either their own 2nd rounder or the one from the team that signs Iglesias.

Hope his one year turns out better than the last former Met pitcher acquisition, Harvey. 

If he has a good year he likely leaves for a bigger deal. If he has a poor year, lots of money wasted that could have been used elsewhere.

It seems that Arte is fed up with so many years of disappointment and is going all in for 2022. Expect more wheeling and dealing. 

Hopefully mostly focussed on pitching. And if it's all in for 2022 then might as well go for the best veterans and worry about the long term later. Scherzer certainly should have a couple more years left as an ace. I would also think about Kershaw. It's not Texas, but he'd still be in the same environment he's used to. He was pitching pretty good till shut down. 

Stroman is probably the best option though. A proven record, and likely good for a four or five year contract. 

It's all about pitching. That's what will turn the Angels into real contenders. There are enough mid tier shortstops around to get the job done. And of course, securing a closer factors into the pitching equation. Whether it's Iglesias or someone else. 

Should be an interesting off season. Go for broke and see what happens. 

3 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

What am I missing here?  The pick they get if someone else signs Iglesias would still be a 2nd round pick.  Depending on who signs him, it could be a higher or lower pick in the 2nd round than the one the Angels would have based on their record from this season--but it would still be a 2nd round pick.  So they'd lose either their own 2nd rounder or the one from the team that signs Iglesias.

the pick for Iglesias would be a supplemental first.  

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

the pick for Iglesias would be a supplemental first.  

Actually, I think we're both wrong?  Ha.

https://www.mlb.com/news/2021-22-qualifying-offer-candidates-and-decisions

"If Iglesias signs with a different team as a free agent this offseason, the Angels will receive a compensatory pick after Competitive Balance Round B in the 2022 Draft, which is after the second round."

46 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

"When we suck again in 2022, we just want another injury to blame." ~ Perry Minasian

This is a...strange move. $21M? Jeez. First of all, I'm surprised Syndergaard didn't accept his QO, which is reasonable for a guy in his situation. But he held out and he got the Angels to give him a lottery ticket.

It does make me think that Arte's opening up the purse strings beyond the predicted $50M. Now they really need a second starter, and a dependable one - Stroman being the most likely candidate, or possibly Gausman (my preference). If they had started with Stroman, I'd think they could either fill out the rotation with in-house guys or maybe re-up Cobb or go after DeScaflani. But I doubt their plan is Syndergaard/Cobb.

Another glass half full element of this: It signals to other free agents that the Angels mean business. Stroman, Gausman, Raisel, even Taylor, see this move and think, "OK, they want to win. I'm listening."

Bottom line (for me): I'm OK with this move if it means that Arte is OK with surpassing the luxury tax this year, and this is considered their second starter acquisition. I'm not OK with this if its Syndergaard instead of Stroman or Gausman.

Again I say 6 man rotation for this year for Thor is a good thing. Gausman going back to Giants