• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Noah Syndergaard - Angels Agree to 1-Year, $21 Million Deal

Lhalo

Something to consider too - we will likely be employing a 6-man rotation again this upcoming season.  

Given that it's unlikely to expect Syndergaard to pitch a full slate, this will help manage his innings on the whole.

I like this move in terms of upside.  Sure, it's a risk, but I'd much prefer this over signing someone like Gausman to a 5 year deal in terms of balancing risk and upside.

2 minutes ago, Torridd said:

Why do you say that? I hope you're wrong.

Most long-term deals for SPs end poorly.  Scherzer is noteworthy as one of the rare instances that it has worked out well.

Look at how well the Giants did last season, signing guys like Wood and Gausman to one year deals.  Savvy FOs can get away with high-upside, short-term contracts.  

I love the signing. I’m high on Thor. I’d rather take this gamble than gamble on a Kazmir, Harvey, etc… I’m not too worried about the tommy john surgery. 

we still need pieces but this is a gamble I love. Hopefully they’re in the market for another arm whether it’s trade or FA I don’t care. 

18 minutes ago, aznhockeyguy said:

I'm happy about the signing, but the team has had a terrible history of signing injured pitchers looking for a bounce back season and just being awful.  I know this is different due to age and other factors, but my optimism isn't very strong.

In general, yes, but each GM is different.  Minasian does have pretty strong ties to Syndergaard - he was in the TOR FO when they drafted and developed him, so he likely knows him better than simply just doing his due diligence from an outsider's perspective.

Even the best FOs have a share of misses (look at the Dodgers and Bauer).  We have taken a number of fliers on pitchers for 1 year, but Syndergaard has by far the highest upside of any of these gambles that I can recall.

34 minutes ago, Torridd said:

I can't see this as the main option. I think the Angels are in on multiple pitchers. I read that we were close to getting E-Rod.

This would obviously be our highest hopes... i like the idea of short term deals to buy time for the kids as well.
This was a good signing on every level in my view.   Yes it has risk, but its a lower risk than others and sends the right message.

• mmc changed the title to Noah Syndergaard - Angels Agree to 1-Year, $21 Million Deal