• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Noah Syndergaard - Angels Agree to 1-Year, $21 Million Deal

Lhalo

1 minute ago, Blarg said:

I would not be surprised if this is the only starting pitcher the Angels pick up. They still need bullpen help and a starting catcher. They may even consider a better defensive shortstop and keep Rengifo as the utility infielder. That is where the rest of the budget may be spent. 

If we're assuming they are only spending about $50M then they still might be able to get Stroman on a backloaded deal and some bullpen arms. 

If the budget is raised then Everyone is still on the table. 

18 minutes ago, stormngt said:

"The upside to a healthy "fill in blank"

Has been the Angels starting pitching signings for the past ten years.

I do not like the trade.  Give up a draft pick for one year.  Many are speculating loss of Iglesias.  If true we sign a risky starter and lose a lockdown closer.

I understand the skepticism, but this is somewhat true for a lot of SPs.  That said, I think Syndergaard has the highest upside of any pitcher we have "gambled" on in that sense.

Also, consider - if we aren't good again this year, and Syndergaard is actually fairly healthy and pitching to his capabilities, then we could likely trade him at the deadline for some pretty good prospects.

Haven't read the entire thread but why not sign Iglesias and trade Marsh or Adell for a controllable Marlins pitcher? Still a huge chunk for Iglesias but you don't have to sign another pricy FA starter....and it gives us a proven closer, rather than hoping for the best....

Likely, given Syndergaard has thrown only 2 innings in the last 2 years, it would be unrealistic to expect a full season out of him.  Still, if they can get 120+ innings, and if we're actually in playoff contention, having a top two of Ohtani and Syndergaard would be dominant.

We should complement this move with signing a durable SP.  What if our next move is to sign Scherzer, and then we fill whatever remaining holes (SS, closer, backup catcher, etc) with bargain-basement type players?  Would we be satisfied with that offseason?

5 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

I'm surprised we've managed to reach the 3rd page of a thread for a pitcher signing a 1-year deal and no one has mentioned Quintana, Harvey or Teheran.

30 minutes ago, vladdy#27 said:

Hopefully this works out better than the last superhero we signed from the Mets

3 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Likely, given Syndergaard has thrown only 2 innings in the last 2 years, it would be unrealistic to expect a full season out of him.  Still, if they can get 120+ innings, and if we're actually in playoff contention, having a top two of Ohtani and Syndergaard would be dominant.

We should complement this move with signing a durable SP.  What if our next move is to sign Scherzer, and then we fill whatever remaining holes (SS, closer, backup catcher, etc) with bargain-basement type players?  Would we be satisfied with that offseason?

if sandoval is the angels number 4 starter next season, then the angels had a good offseason in some regards at least.

Stupid ass move.  For a team who's pitchers regularly go on the DL, we sign a good chunk of our offseason money on someone who pretty much hasn't been good and healthy since 2016, with the fans thinking things will magically change.  Meanwhile, we still have gapping holes at relief pitching, and starting pitching.  

Just now, ukyah said:

if sandoval is the angels number 4 starter next season, then the angels had a good offseason in some regards at least.

Right.  If *all* we did was sign Scherzer and filled the rest with stop-gaps, having a rotation of Scherzer, Ohtani, Syndergaard, Sandoval, Suarez, with Detmers, Barria, Canning, etc as depth, should win a lot of games.  Our lineup would still be very good if Trout and Rendon are reasonably healthy.  Our bench and bullpen would be possible weaknesses, but I'd be very satisfied with our team going into the season if those were basically our only two moves, so to speak.

You have to assume hes "healthy". If not the guy he was, at least able to get through the year. 

If thats the case, and he comes here pitching for a multi-year deal, then this should be pretty good.

Im as leary as a few of you on here. But even though its expensive, its roughly the same as we've wasted on the usual suspect trash the past several years 

9 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Right.  If *all* we did was sign Scherzer and filled the rest with stop-gaps, having a rotation of Scherzer, Ohtani, Syndergaard, Sandoval, Suarez, with Detmers, Barria, Canning, etc as depth, should win a lot of games.  Our lineup would still be very good if Trout and Rendon are reasonably healthy.  Our bench and bullpen would be possible weaknesses, but I'd be very satisfied with our team going into the season if those were basically our only two moves, so to speak.

Uh.... so you'd be cool rolling into the season with a dumpster fire in the bull pen, a giant hole at SS, and a massive question mark at catcher? Don't get me wrong, I'd be thrilled if we get Sherzer, but can we at least get Aaron Loup while we are getting warm bodies to fill out the roster?