• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Noah Syndergaard - Angels Agree to 1-Year, $21 Million Deal

Lhalo

1 minute ago, ScruffytheJanitor said:

Uh.... so you'd be cool rolling into the season with a dumpster fire in the bull pen, a giant hole at SS, and a massive question mark at catcher? Don't get me wrong, I'd be thrilled if we get Sherzer, but can we at least get Aaron Loup and a few warm bodies to fill out the roster?

Sorry, I didn't mean to say just those 2 signings and nothing else, but rather, those 2 signings and replacement-level type options to fill out the roster.  Benches and bullpens can be cobbled together fairly easily to generate decent results, at least by strong FOs.  No, they wouldn't be lockdown, but with a top 3 rotation in baseball and one of the top offenses, we could get by with a middling/subpar bench and/or bullpen.

3 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

You have to assume hes "healthy". If not the guy he was, at least able to get through the year. 

If thats the case, and he comes here pitching for a multi-year deal, then this should be pretty good.

Im as leary as a few of you on here. But even though its expensive, its roughly the same as we've wasted on the usual suspect trash the past several years 

The deal is pending a physical.  He either shows as healthy or he doesn’t.  If he shows as healthy, I want this guy.

I like it, dont really care about the draft pick right now this club needs to win at the ML level, now.
The only question i have is whether this is the beginning, or the end?  Is he the piece, or the compliment.
Will we still either go out and sign another to a longer term deal such as a Stroman, or make a trade for one such as the rumored Mia or Cin options.
If i had to guess right now, i think more likely a trade is coming as we still have other issues to address.
But this is definitely an encouraging start, i hope 🙂

2 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Sorry, I didn't mean to say just those 2 signings and nothing else, but rather, those 2 signings and replacement-level type options to fill out the roster.  Benches and bullpens can be cobbled together fairly easily to generate decent results, at least by strong FOs.  No, they wouldn't be lockdown, but with a top 3 rotation in baseball and one of the top offenses, we could get by with a middling/subpar bench and/or bullpen.

I misread your post. I think Catcher and SS could easily be filled with defensive or replacement level players in that scenario. I'd still prefer we add SOME certainty to the bullpen. 

1 minute ago, ScruffytheJanitor said:

I misread your post. I think Catcher and SS could easily be filled with defensive or replacement level players in that scenario. I'd still prefer we add SOME certainty to the bullpen. 

I agree.  Remember, Minasian did trade basically nothing to acquire Iglesias last winter.  I'm optimistic he can utilize some creativity to find a decent replacement via trade and/or free agency.  It's much harder to find legit SP.

SS will likely be a hole we'll have, but if we can find someone who at least plays good defense, I'm willing to accept that hole if it's in the context of having a trio of Scherzer/Ohtani/Syndergaard at the top of the rotation.

7 minutes ago, ScruffytheJanitor said:

Uh.... so you'd be cool rolling into the season with a dumpster fire in the bull pen, a giant hole at SS, and a massive question mark at catcher? Don't get me wrong, I'd be thrilled if we get Sherzer, but can we at least get Aaron Loup while we are getting warm bodies to fill out the roster?

Except there is documented history of being able to address a bullpen with smart, not necessarily expensive moves.  There is documented history of teams being able to win with an OK shortstop.  And I honestly don’t see the panic at catcher.

There is really not a whole lot of documented history of teams winning with no decent starting pitching.

The Angels are not done.  I expect many, many more moves.

Not having those other things resolved yet does not make this signing a bad move.

This offseason for our rotation I wanted..

1:  One SP potential ace with high floor. 180 innings a good expectation. One of Ray / Gausman / or Stroman would be a good fit.

2: One SP potential ace with risk. Could be amazing but could flop due to injury or age. Thor absolutely fits this. (Also Kershaw and Verlander) 

3. One SP serviceable, but with low risk. One of Cobb / Wood / Gray even Greinke or many others. 

We're on our way!

Edited by Erstad Grit

1 minute ago, Erstad Grit said:

This offseason for our rotation I wanted..

1:  One SP potential ace with high floor. 180 innings a good expectation. One of Ray / Gausman / or Stroman would a be fit.

2: One SP potential ace with risk. Could be amazing but could flop due to injury or age. Thor absolutely fits this. (Also Kershaw and Verlander) 

3. One SP serviceable, but with low risk. One of Cobb / Wood / Gray even Greinke or many others. 

We're on our way!

I get the feeling this FO will probably shy away from long contracts for SPs for the most part.  I don't see a Ray/Gausman/etc, or anyone who commands 5 or more years.

I think they will save that long-term contract for Ohtani, and instead search for shorter-term commitments for FA SPs.

What would really be a Halos thing is signing Thor for one season and lose the 2nd round pick AND Thor.

Who trades a second round pick for a one season rental?   And can’t offer that rental a QO?

They better be focused on re-signing him if he pitches well!

Edited by Angel Oracle

Just now, Angel Oracle said:

What would really be a Halos thing is signing Thor for one season and lose the 2nd round pick AND Thor.

Who trades a second round pick for a one season rental?

They better be focused on re-signing him if he pitches well!

I would think that is part of the plan. There is a real chance they don't get a talented arm had they not made a deal like this