• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Noah Syndergaard - Angels Agree to 1-Year, $21 Million Deal

Lhalo

Just now, ScruffytheJanitor said:

Beat me to it.  This makes no sense to me;even if you like the fit,  if you are going to forfeit a pick, why just one year long?

I’d be pretty leery committing long-term to Syndergaard given his health.

Perhaps a one-year deal offers some hope that Arte will be willing to spend a little more than expected this winter. 

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Perhaps a one-year deal offers some hope that Arte will be willing to spend a little more than expected this winter. 

That's true; if the Angels assume they are surrendering a pick anyway, Syndergaard might be more acceptable.

Counter thought, they know they won’t re-sign Iglesias and will gain a pick there, cancelling this out.

I think they’re going to go win-now mode for next two-three years, and that pick wouldn’t have impacted that timeline anyways.

Edited by totdprods

7 minutes ago, totdprods said:

That's what i'm thinking. I thought Thor would hands down accept the QO, but this is interesting. 

Makes me think Minasian and Arte have something up their sleeve. 

No way they will say this is the Ace they wanted since who knows how the arm will be. 

Pretty good chunk of dough. If we are really at $50m to spend for 2022, that’s a big hit, especially if Iglesias re-signs.

Optimistic though. Hope they sign one more SP with some durability and a good closer. Stroman? He has Toronto ties to Minasian as well and has been pretty durable.

Also, I’ll put out that Syndergaard at $21m, Matz at $9m, Luis Castillo at $7.5m, and Iglesias, Jansen or Graveman with a $13m 2022 salary would be almost a square $50m. 

Wouldn’t address SS, RP, C much but would be a pretty significant boost to the pitching staff. If Arte goes for $60m spent there’s room to work still.

Edited by totdprods

8 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Counter thought, they know they won’t re-sign Iglesias and will gain a pick there, cancelling this out.

I think they’re going to go win-now mode for next two-three years, and that pick wouldn’t have impacted that timeline anyways.

That was actually my thought as well.  They give up a 2nd to sign Syndergaard but gain one back by letting Iglesias go.

Just now, totdprods said:

Pretty good chunk of dough. If we are really at $50m to spend for 2022, that’s a big hit, especially if Iglesias re-signs.

Optimistic though. Hope they sign one more SP with some durability and a good closer.

The upside to a healthy Syndergaard is huge.  I'd like for this deal to have a 2nd year option that vests with a certain # of innings/etc, but doesn't appear there is one.

Still, if he's close to healthy, that is a gigantic upgrade to our rotation.  He's close to an ace when healthy.

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

Optimistic though. Hope they sign one more SP with some durability and a good closer. Stroman? He has Toronto ties to Minasian as well and has been pretty durable.

Angels losing their 2nd rounder to the Mets leaves me to believe that the Angels will lose Iglesias. Basically gave his money to someone else and will collect a pick so it all equals out. 

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Considering that they could potentially sign a solid closer and setup man for the price of Iglesias, not re-signing him could potentially be the move that allows budget for significant TOR signings and still be considered win-now.

3 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Optimistic though. Hope they sign one more SP with some durability and a good closer.

Yeah, this really makes me think that either a) Iglesias is gone, or b) Arte will let Minasian spend big this year.  Otherwise, you're looking at ~$36M or so for next year wrapped up in 2 guys, one of whom you don't control beyond next year.  I've just got to believe there's something else going on if they only signed Syndergaard for one year. 

1 minute ago, Blarg said:

I would have made a 3 year offer or at least 2 with a third year option but my guess is Noah wants to do two things. One is get the hell out of New York. The second is improve his market value through a one year deal. 

Big problem is that Syndergaard probably feels like he's one big season from seeing Bauer money. No way he's "settling" for something like 3 years/60 Mil. 

2 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Yeah, this really makes me think that either a) Iglesias is gone, or b) Arte will let Minasian spend big this year.  Otherwise, you're looking at ~$36M or so for next year wrapped up in 2 guys, one of whom you don't control beyond next year.  I've just got to believe there's something else going on if they only signed Syndergaard for one year. 

Could be both. If we also add someone like Robbie Ray, it might be a smarter use of cash to let Iglesias go and go after multiple bull pen arms -- which we would need anyway. 

2 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I would have made a 3 year offer or at least 2 with a third year option but my guess is Noah wants to do two things. One is get the hell out of New York. The second is improve his market value through a one year deal. 

I think he wants to improve his market value. Halo 6 man rotation works in his favor. Angels rolling dice and they have to, many top arms want to go to top contender.