• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Noah Syndergaard - Angels Agree to 1-Year, $21 Million Deal

Lhalo

9 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Pretty good chunk of dough. If we are really at $50m to spend for 2022, that’s a big hit, especially if Iglesias re-signs.

Optimistic though. Hope they sign one more SP with some durability and a good closer. Stroman? He has Toronto ties to Minasian as well and has been pretty durable.

"Durable" is always a plus with this team. Stroman, 199 IP average over 162 games. 3.63 career ERA.

Snydergaard is fun to dream on.  Probably the biggest upside of any of the guys out there this year.  We’ve gotta hope that Art is jacking up the payroll though because they need more than this.  Especially with the uncertainty around the guy.  

Edited by UndertheHalo

16 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Pretty good chunk of dough. If we are really at $50m to spend for 2022, that’s a big hit, especially if Iglesias re-signs.

Optimistic though. Hope they sign one more SP with some durability and a good closer. Stroman? He has Toronto ties to Minasian as well and has been pretty durable.

About to dump Upton

Weird idea - What about Carlos Rodon? He looked awesome until he ran out of gas later in the season, and he's QO-free. Ohtani/Syndergaard/Rodon would be a heck of a 3-headed limited-innings monster. Toss in Sandoval/Detmers/Barria/Suarez/Canning and suddenly you have a deep rotation with a top-three that could (potentially) go toe-to-toe with almost any other in the league. Could be a relative bargain and would allow Minasian to focus on SS and the bullpen. 

1 minute ago, ScruffytheJanitor said:

Weird idea - What about Carlos Rodon? He looked awesome until he ran out of gas later in the season, and he's QO-free. Ohtani/Syndergaard/Rodon would be a heck of a 3-headed limited-innings monster. Toss in Sandoval/Detmers/Barria/Suarez/Canning and suddenly you have a deep rotation with a top-three that could (potentially) go toe-to-toe with almost any other in the league. Could be a relative bargain and would allow Minasian to focus on SS and the bullpen. 

I like the idea but I think the 2nd pitcher the Angels acquire NEEDS to have a history of durability. Imagine Rodon and Syndergaard both get hurt and were back to square 1

18 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

The upside to a healthy Syndergaard is huge.  I'd like for this deal to have a 2nd year option that vests with a certain # of innings/etc, but doesn't appear there is one.

Still, if he's close to healthy, that is a gigantic upgrade to our rotation.  He's close to an ace when healthy.

"The upside to a healthy "fill in blank"

Has been the Angels starting pitching signings for the past ten years.

I do not like the trade.  Give up a draft pick for one year.  Many are speculating loss of Iglesias.  If true we sign a risky starter and lose a lockdown closer.

• Chuck changed the title to Noah Syndergaard - Angels Agree to 1-Year Deal
21 minutes ago, Junkballer said:

Considering that they could potentially sign a solid closer and setup man for the price of Iglesias, not re-signing him could potentially be the move that allows budget for significant TOR signings and still be considered win-now.

Than Minasian should be fired for not trading Iglesias at deadline.

I would not be surprised if this is the only starting pitcher the Angels pick up. They still need bullpen help and a starting catcher. They may even consider a better defensive shortstop and keep Rengifo as the utility infielder. That is where the rest of the budget may be spent. 

24 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I would have made a 3 year offer or at least 2 with a third year option but my guess is Noah wants to do two things. One is get the hell out of New York. The second is improve his market value through a one year deal. 

I think this is probably what he wanted as well. The Angels will also have the first window to re-sign him if things go well.

3 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Than Minasian should be fired for not trading Iglesias at deadline.

According to @Jeff Fletcher

The only explanation I got was that they didn’t want to give up entirely at that time. If there’s more to it (which seems likely) no one has admitted it to me

This appears to imply that it was not solely a Minasian decision.  Even if it was, to make any single GM personnel move a cause for firing, outside the body of his work is dubious, particularly in their freshman GM year.