• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Noah Syndergaard - Angels Agree to 1-Year, $21 Million Deal

Lhalo

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Say what you will about the merits or risks of getting Syndergaard -- at least they are assured ONE pitcher who wasn't the bottom of the barrel all other options were taken type of signing.

Whether or not it pays off ... no clue.  But's it's an improvement over the dumpster diving.

I really can’t imagine a scenario where this is the only move they make to bolster the rotation.  I would prefer something a little more of a sure thing with the next signing, even if they don’t have the upside of a Verlander.  

I think resigning Cobb at a reasonable price would be be a solid move. He seemed healthy enough late in the season, and can be a good enough inning eating 3-5 starter. Hardly top tier, but a veteran who knows how to pitch. At this stage it looks like Arte is spending to win now, and having veterans may be more of an option than rolling the dice with some of the younger guys for 2022.  Canning, Sandoval, Detmers and others may have longer term upside but for the upcoming season it looks like a veteran rotation may be the safer route. It's not going to be a developmental season on the mound. 

7 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Say what you will about the merits or risks of getting Syndergaard -- at least they are assured ONE pitcher who wasn't the bottom of the barrel all other options were taken type of signing.

Whether or not it pays off ... no clue.  But's it's an improvement over the dumpster diving.

That's where I'm at. I appreciate they aren't going with more half measures when it comes to the rotation

This is the Halos.

How often do signings like this turn out well enough for them.

History is not kind to them.

I get that this is better than the dumpster diving.  

I get that it’s better to do this with a 6 man rotation (27 starts max) vs 5 man rotation (32 starts max).    Doing it with a 5 man rotation would be the height of stupidity.

Still, there is A LOT of risk, and worried this will become their M.O. going forward (one year deals for starters).   And worried they will also bring in Verlander and his TJS in the recent past.

Better hope the pitchers develop well enough on the farm.

If I’m wrong, I’ll gladly eat my words.

Edited by Angel Oracle

40 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Look, if you all want to be Eeyore go for it.  Arte signed a pitcher with tremendous upside to a $21 million deal today.  But that doesn’t stop the bitching.  One thing Arte has been successful at is turning fans into victims.  Well done Arturo

The article posted above states that price could be an issue in regards to the remaining free agents. That’s what I was specifically referring to. If it is, then the Halos will not get another starter and will rely on their young guys. Maybe they pitch great and that would be awesome but then again they may be mediocre like last season. There aren’t many here bitching about the Syndergaard signing but we have to keep expectations reasonable as the amount of inning he will be able to pitch could likely be an issue. 

13 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

This is the Halos.

I get that this is better than the dumpster diving.   Still, there is A LOT of risk, and worried this will become their M.O. going forward (one year deals for starters).

Just because their track record hasn't been good doesn't mean you still don't try.

24 minutes ago, Duren, Duren said:

I think resigning Cobb at a reasonable price would be be a solid move. He seemed healthy enough late in the season, and can be a good enough inning eating 3-5 starter. Hardly top tier, but a veteran who knows how to pitch. At this stage it looks like Arte is spending to win now, and having veterans may be more of an option than rolling the dice with some of the younger guys for 2022.  Canning, Sandoval, Detmers and others may have longer term upside but for the upcoming season it looks like a veteran rotation may be the safer route. It's not going to be a developmental season on the mound. 

Cobb would be good addition or Alex Wood

18 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

This is the Halos.

I get that this is better than the dumpster diving.  

I get that it’s better to do this with a 6 man rotation (27 starts max) vs 5 man rotation (32 starts max).    Doing it with a 5 man rotation would be the height of stupidity.

Still, there is A LOT of risk, and worried this will become their M.O. going forward (one year deals for starters).   And worried they will also bring in Verlander and his TJS in the recent past.

If I’m wrong, I’ll gladly eat my words.

How is Perry’s track record in signing/trading for arms?  Because isn’t that what matters?  I have him as batting .500. Cobb good.  Quintana bad.  
If you extend that to the bullpen then Iglesias good, Cishek good, and the lefty we traded to SF good. 

32 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I really can’t imagine a scenario where this is the only move they make to bolster the rotation.  I would prefer something a little more of a sure thing with the next signing, even if they don’t have the upside of a Verlander.  

Who is more of a sure thing?

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

How is Perry’s track record in signing/trading for arms?  Because isn’t that what matters?  I have him as batting .500. Cobb good.  Quintana bad.  
If you extend that to the bullpen then Iglesias good, Cishek good, and the lefty we traded to SF good. 

But 6 years ago....!

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

A rival thinks the Angels are desperate..  and he closes with, that's the situation the Angels are in.   So, Rosenthal thinks the Angels made a desperation move. 

The halos should be desperate to win now. If this is a desperation move then I’m ok with it because the rotation is now better than 2021 

1 hour ago, Hubs said:

A team that neither exceeded the luxury tax in the preceding season nor receives revenue sharing will lose its second-highest selection in the following year's Draft as well as $500,000 from its international bonus pool. If it signs two such players, it will also forfeit its third-highest remaining pick. If that team loses a free agent, it will be awarded a Draft pick immediately following Competitive Balance Round B. The 13 clubs that fall into this category during the 2020-21 offseason are the Angels, Athletics, Blue Jays, Braves, Cardinals, Dodgers, Giants, Mets, Nationals, Phillies, Rangers, Red Sox and White Sox.

So they'll lose their 2nd round pick, then if Iglesias signs somewhere else, get a pick after the 2nd round and competitive balance round B, so basically get a 3rd.

baseball's version of the quadratic equation.

1 minute ago, Jason said:

The halos should be desperate to win now. If this is a desperation move then I’m ok with it because the rotation is now better than 2021 

Yep. One thing I'm not worried about is our 2025 roster. Hell, i won't even be living here anymore by then.