• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Noah Syndergaard - Angels Agree to 1-Year, $21 Million Deal

Amazing Larry

1 hour ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I don’t love this move or hate this move but there is a pretty good chance I fall into one of these camps by the end of next year.

This isn’t a good or bad move, this is a risk where the upside is a top of the rotation starter at way under market rate and the down side is a third of our off season budget down the drain.

Like with all the moves they make this of season I don’t really care what they are as long as they work out. They have to get this one right.

much happier to have that be for one year considering the risk than to commit more than that to a guy for the next 5 and potentially damage our ability to retain Ohtani.  If Syndergaard fails then that would suck but meh.  Move on after a year.  If Stroman or Gausman or Ray fail then you're screwed for awhile.  

$21 million for ONE YEAR for a guy who was once lights out but has only pitched two innings in two years?  Why do I feel like this is Scott Kazmir all over again (another former Met phenom prospect at one time).  Kazmir was last seen pitching as an 'opener' for the Giants in the 2021 post- season.

but back when he was signed by the Halos to a pretty lucrative two year deal as I recall. He pitched a bit for us but then got hurt and then was moving slowly in rehab. He was in rehab for almost a year and a half - when he came back , lost velocity , was criticized for not working hard/ smart enough to develop a better repertoire of pitches (he was once a fireballing phenom and with Tampa Bay was among the AL league leaders in K's for about a four year period).  Long story longer, Kazmir rehabbed on the Halos dime , seemed washed up, and wound top resurfacing in Oakland rotation and did well enough to ink another lucrative contract with the LA Dodgers, bounced around a bit and was just in the post-season with the SF Giants - kind of like a bad penny (or a lot of them based one the Angels and Dodgers contracts he signed after he was 'washed uo"

So - with this latest signing -Syndergaard (spelled wrong) seems about to do the same thing -- get paid $21 million to rehab with the Halos - perhaps have moments of his old self - enough to sign a big contract elsewhere in 2023.  Meanwhile, the Halos commit a large part of their 2022 budget to the guy so forget signing some of the big names.

3 hours ago, daygloman said:

Like it or not, as of NOW, the pitching staff is better than last season.

Go Halos!

ANOTHER thing, we were paying Uncle Albert $29.5 mil to play for the Dodgers last season, so signing the Viking for $21 mil, AND it's possible he'll be an Ace! So I ain't sweat'n this signing AT ALL!

28 minutes ago, disarcina said:

$21 million for ONE YEAR for a guy who was once lights out but has only pitched two innings in two years?  Why do I feel like this is Scott Kazmir all over again (another former Met phenom prospect at one time).  Kazmir was last seen pitching as an 'opener' for the Giants in the 2021 post- season.

but back when he was signed by the Halos to a pretty lucrative two year deal as I recall. He pitched a bit for us but then got hurt and then was moving slowly in rehab. He was in rehab for almost a year and a half - when he came back , lost velocity , was criticized for not working hard/ smart enough to develop a better repertoire of pitches (he was once a fireballing phenom and with Tampa Bay was among the AL league leaders in K's for about a four year period).  Long story longer, Kazmir rehabbed on the Halos dime , seemed washed up, and wound top resurfacing in Oakland rotation and did well enough to ink another lucrative contract with the LA Dodgers, bounced around a bit and was just in the post-season with the SF Giants - kind of like a bad penny (or a lot of them based one the Angels and Dodgers contracts he signed after he was 'washed uo"

So - with this latest signing -Syndergaard (spelled wrong) seems about to do the same thing -- get paid $21 million to rehab with the Halos - perhaps have moments of his old self - enough to sign a big contract elsewhere in 2023.  Meanwhile, the Halos commit a large part of their 2022 budget to the guy so forget signing some of the big names.

Terrible comparison. 

Also, would you rather have Thor or Teheran and Quintana?

22 minutes ago, disarcina said:

Syndergaard has been out for 18 months… it’ll be 23 in ST. The rehab is over.  A lot of guys post TJ  take the better part of two years to rehab. This is why Ohtani wasn’t right until 2021. 

As for Kazmir, he was acquired in a trade. He barely pitched for the Mets in the minors, being moved to Tampa. Angels acquired him a few years later for prospects that never turned into stars on the Rays or in MLB. Alex Torres and Matt Sweeney, plus a PTBNL who turned it to be Sean Rodriguez. He made around $20M Over two full seasons in Anaheim. 

Torres had one good year before being shipped to The Padres. He also just sucked, he was dealing with injuries but not TJ. His mechanics were out of whack but he was only 25.

I don’t think you can compare the two. 

4 hours ago, ettin said:

Yes, but that was before Rendon signed his multi-year deal and that leaves only room for one more bigger contract and I would greatly prefer they extend Ohtani. The team can take on near-term money, but long-term would be difficult, potentially.

What

7 hours ago, Lou said:

Syndergaard is nothing like Kazmir 

Lou,

You are of course correct.  When Kazmir was a Met prospect the powers that be Al Leiter and John Franco walked in on him and didn't approve of the music he was listening to and shut it off and went to Jeff Wilpon and demanded that he be traded which he was to Tampa for Victor Zambrano LOL.

In ST when Syndergaard was a prospect the powers that be David Wright and another may have been the closer at the time Parnell simply tossed his lunch but didn't demand that he be traded.  LOL