• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Noah Syndergaard - Angels Agree to 1-Year, $21 Million Deal

Lhalo

Just to add to the conversation re how much value does a 2nd round pick have. Some nice players here (to be honest there is more quality here than I was expecting), but also some misses. Angels' 2nd round picks since 2010: 

2021 - Ky Bush

2020 - No 2nd round pick - David Calabrese 3rd round

2019 - Kyren Paris

2018 - Jeremiah Jackson

2017 - Griffin Canning

2016 - Brandon Marsh

2015 - Jahmai Jones

2014 - Joe Gatto

2013 - Hunter Green

2012 - Alex Yarborough

2011 - Nick Maronde

2010 - Cam Bedrosian

Small sample size but Eppler's drafting looks to be streets ahead of Dipoto's here.

4 hours ago, Dochalo said:

my sense is that you don't do what they did and even remotely stop there.  If that's the only FA signing they make then it probably doesn't make much sense, but the timing of him being available meant they probably are going to do some stuff out of order.  So it would really surprise me if they didn't go after another player or maybe even two where they lost draft picks.  I'm not saying that's a great long term solution but how do you sign a guy like Syndergaard or any guy that expensive for one year where you don't get draft comp and not do everything you can to win in that year.  

Otherwise, what's the point?  Which is why it will really piss me off if they go out and get a couple pitchers but leave other holes unfilled like in the pen or MIF.  Or go cheap on depth.  

So it's a dumb move if they end up with Cobb as the additional starter and Rengifo at SS with Wallach and Gosselin coming off the bench.  

I'd be really surprised if that's all they did.

Minasian has already said they need multiple SPs and relievers.

Given last year's budget was 180mil, and they are at 150mil, they have a good amount to work with still.  I suspect we could see the budget in the 185ish range, maybe 190 if Arte really wants to push.

I think any smart GM these days largely avoids long-term deals, or at least too many long-term deals.  We already have 2, and will (hopefully) soon have a 3rd in Ohtani.  That means that Minasian will likely have to fill out the remaining roster with young players (a la Marsh, Adell, Sandoval, Walsh, etc) and some high-priced veterans on short term deals (a la Syndergaard).

I have mentioned I'd love Scherzer, but signing him means we probably only about 5-10mil at most to fill the remaining gaps (relievers, MIF, backup C).  That would mean we'd likely need to either trade for a young closer or hope someone emerges.  

I think we'll see maybe two pitchers in the Alex Wood-type category (maybe Wood and Cobb, for example), a closer (whether that's Iglesias, Jansen, or someone in that category), and then probably fill the remaining gaps with very modest contracts.  I also hope that they look into signing Stassi into an extension of some kind, so that we can have some stability at catcher for the next few years.

Our biggest hole will probably be SS, but perhaps we can at least find a reliable defensive SS via FA, so that if Rengifo doesn't pan out, we have someone who can at least play steady defense.

14 hours ago, Kotchman said:

Desperate is one take but I say this was resourceful. Sometimes the bar isn’t over flowing with super models. Sometimes you have to find the skinniest  chubby girl that is ready to bang. Yes we could have saved our beer money for next weekend but the goal was to bang now. 

I’m pretty sure I don’t like you, but credit where credit is due.  This is the second best post of the off season. This is a truly great post. 

7 hours ago, beatlesrule said:

I don't mind giving up a draft pick but you give up the same draft pick regardless if you sign a player for 1 year or 5 years. You'd think it would make more sense to optimize giving up that draft pick and also using it to get a pitcher that has actually pitched the last two years and isn't coming off of major surgery.

The offseason has just begun but so far, this is par the course for this organization. This narrative that they can get back the draft pick if they don't sign Raisel is depressing. He should be their next signing.

If only we had Yelich. 

7 hours ago, Dochalo said:

my sense is that you don't do what they did and even remotely stop there.  If that's the only FA signing they make then it probably doesn't make much sense, but the timing of him being available meant they probably are going to do some stuff out of order.  So it would really surprise me if they didn't go after another player or maybe even two where they lost draft picks.  I'm not saying that's a great long term solution but how do you sign a guy like Syndergaard or any guy that expensive for one year where you don't get draft comp and not do everything you can to win in that year.  

Otherwise, what's the point?  Which is why it will really piss me off if they go out and get a couple pitchers but leave other holes unfilled like in the pen or MIF.  Or go cheap on depth.  

So it's a dumb move if they end up with Cobb as the additional starter and Rengifo at SS with Wallach and Gosselin coming off the bench.  

That's my expectation - maybe I'm being overly optimistic - but this doesn't make a heck of a lot of sense if you don't plan to build a team to make a run *this* season - 1 season of Snydergaard - no matter how good he might be - isn't gonna move the needle enough.  I'm hoping Stroman now - and while I'd love to get Iglesias back, I don't know that we'll be able to afford him.  Then wait out the market for the other gaps.   

(I guess a small case could be made that if Snydergaard has a good year, you offer him a QO next year and get a comp pick "back")

The cautionary thing here is money to extend Ohtani - where will that come from?  Which makes me wonder if NS really *is* a stopgap, a 1-year thing, with the hope that some other cost-controlled guys are ready to contribute in 2023 so we can then have the funds to extend Ohtani.

8 minutes ago, DCAngelsFan said:

(I guess a small case could be made that if Snydergaard has a good year, you offer him a QO next year and get a comp pick "back")

A player can only get a qualifying offer once in his career, so the Angels wouldn't be able to do that. If he leaves after next season, the Angels wouldn't get any compensation. 

2 minutes ago, Mark68 said:

If this is The Big Move this offseason, I would be...disappointed.

i believe more is in store...but may have to wait for the new CBA to play out.

What I really want is for the off season to play out like this isn't the big signing or acquisition, then his performance tells us this was exactly what we needed.  

1 hour ago, DCAngelsFan said:

That's my expectation - maybe I'm being overly optimistic - but this doesn't make a heck of a lot of sense if you don't plan to build a team to make a run *this* season - 1 season of Snydergaard - no matter how good he might be - isn't gonna move the needle enough.  I'm hoping Stroman now - and while I'd love to get Iglesias back, I don't know that we'll be able to afford him.  Then wait out the market for the other gaps.   

The cautionary thing here is money to extend Ohtani - where will that come from?  Which makes me wonder if NS really *is* a stopgap, a 1-year thing, with the hope that some other cost-controlled guys are ready to contribute in 2023 so we can then have the funds to extend Ohtani.

Im in the stroman boat, too (which sounds gross, for some reason).

As for the Ohtani money, I think thats super important. But...Ill almost say Ohtani/Trout window is more important.... and I hate to say that.

Next pitcher gets albert / uptons money....

Ohtani gets super deal starting in 2 years....if its slightly backloaded, he gets rendon's money.... which sounds weird, but he'll only have 3 years left when Ohtani gets super money.

I think its doable. But Im always broke, too

5 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Im in the stroman boat, too (which sounds gross, for some reason).

As for the Ohtani money, I think thats super important. But...Ill almost say Ohtani/Trout window is more important.... and I hate to say that.

Next pitcher gets albert / uptons money....

Ohtani gets super deal starting in 2 years....if its slightly backloaded, he gets rendon's money.... which sounds weird, but he'll only have 3 years left when Ohtani gets super money.

I think its doable. But Im always broke, too

I’m in the same boat. Stop rubbing my leg dude…

I would also like to see them grab Luis Castillo after stroman and trade a marsh or adell. Ultimately the prospect capital is needed because you’ll need that money that theoretically would go to 1 of them to cover the next contract for Castillo. You lose 3-4 years of arb but gain instant upgrade to the staff.