• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Noah Syndergaard - Angels Agree to 1-Year, $21 Million Deal

Lhalo

13 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

Only pitched 2 inn Angels have already said he will be on inn limit. I think that is one of reasons he signed with halos. 6 man rotation and he will not be rushed. He pitches 110 to 120 inn and pitches like he has in past 100 million for him in next contract. 

next contract with his 'new' team having utilized the $21 million one year contract as his rehab year. Thanks Angels.

5 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

you do realize angels will limit his inn

At 180? Sure. 27-30 starts 6 innings average. Also it benefits them how to limit his innings further? He’s not under contract for 5/120.

He’s gonna pitch a lot. Sorry you don’t agree. When I’m right in October you can say we always agreed and I’ll bump this thread.

1 minute ago, Hubs said:

At 180? Sure. 27-30 starts 6 innings average. Also it benefits them how to limit his innings further? He’s not under contract for 5/120.

He’s gonna pitch a lot. Sorry you don’t agree. When I’m right in October you can say we always agreed and I’ll bump this thread.

If he throws 180 innings @Chuckster70 will let you use the angelswin yacht.

maybe it's just me not wanting to believe the reality of the cost of  MLB rotations.

I mean Syndergaard was once a near ace type pitcher but two innings over two years, yeah I am sure the Halos have scouted his work outs and he probably even did a bullpen session for the Halos front office personnel to watch before singing him (I hope so) -- but $21 million for one year for an innings limited pitcher who has not pitched competitively at the big league level (did he make some minor league rehab appearances at the end of 2021 ?) seems a but rich for me for a team like the Halos that has not been willing to commit to signing top line starters but instead look to one year patch work deals.   I would think an incentive laden (G, IP etc.) would be the better approach towards a pitcher coming off a long. lay off due to injury/ surgery.  But that's me.

I guess we picked up the NY Mets lefty reliever today - $7.5 million a year for two years with a third year club/. player option ? that sounds ok and bolsters our pen -- I hope he's signed to complement Iglesias and not be his replacement.

8 hours ago, Hubs said:

I think it's reasonable to see him pitch a similar amount as Ohtani did last year - around 130 innings, given or take some.

I would put the chances of him hitting 180+ innings at near zero.  We'll mainly use a 6 man rotation, and that in of itself will preclude him from getting close to 180 innings.

That said, if he can hit 120-140 innings and pitch like his former self, he will be more than worth the contract he has gotten.

23 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

Only pitched 2 inn Angels have already said he will be on inn limit. I think that is one of reasons he signed with halos. 6 man rotation and he will not be rushed. He pitches 110 to 120 inn and pitches like he has in past 100 million for him in next contract. 

23 hours ago, totdprods said:

That doesn't mean that he'll be held back weeks into the season. 

They'll use the 6-man and he'll be in the Opening Day rotation unless he gets hurt in ST. 

I think you are both right 

18 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

you do realize angels will limit his inn

Here's a great article for you friend, which says that Minasian has said there will be a limit, but he expects the 6-man rotation to take care of it, and that he doesn't really believe in innings limits anyway.

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/mlb/noah-syndergaard-and-justin-verlander-what-to-expect-in-their-return-from-tommy-john-surgery

It's interesting to note that recently, guys in this position have included 27 names, where they've missed the majority of two seasons.

On average, they've given teams 21 starts and 132 IP... but 14 of the 27 have given teams 28 starts, and 8 of those gave them 175 innings.

Matt Harvey, Jamison Taillon, Kris Medlen, Steven Strasburg, Zach Wheeler, etc.

I'm gonna say we get 26 starts and 6.1 IP per start, for 164.2 IP. He hopefully has an ERA in the high 2's or low 3's.

And if they sign another high caliber pitcher, they'll have a great rotation with him and Syndergaard, Ohtani, Sandoval, Suarez, Detmers, and Canning in some form.

27 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Here's a great article for you friend, which says that Minasian has said there will be a limit, but he expects the 6-man rotation to take care of it, and that he doesn't really believe in innings limits anyway.

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/mlb/noah-syndergaard-and-justin-verlander-what-to-expect-in-their-return-from-tommy-john-surgery

It's interesting to note that recently, guys in this position have included 27 names, where they've missed the majority of two seasons.

On average, they've given teams 21 starts and 132 IP... but 14 of the 27 have given teams 28 starts, and 8 of those gave them 175 innings.

Matt Harvey, Jamison Taillon, Kris Medlen, Steven Strasburg, Zach Wheeler, etc.

I'm gonna say we get 26 starts and 6.1 IP per start, for 164.2 IP. He hopefully has an ERA in the high 2's or low 3's.

And if they sign another high caliber pitcher, they'll have a great rotation with him and Syndergaard, Ohtani, Sandoval, Suarez, Detmers, and Canning in some form.

I hope you are right as we are both Angel fans and tired of losing. I would like another TOR pitcher and Cobb with Detmers, Canning and Barria in reserve

Just now, Angels 1961 said:

I hope you are right as we are both Angel fans and tired of losing. I would like another TOR pitcher and Cobb with Detmers, Canning and Barria in reserve

Barria doesn't have options.

17 hours ago, disarcina said:

maybe it's just me not wanting to believe the reality of the cost of  MLB rotations.

I mean Syndergaard was once a near ace type pitcher but two innings over two years, yeah I am sure the Halos have scouted his work outs and he probably even did a bullpen session for the Halos front office personnel to watch before singing him (I hope so) -- but $21 million for one year for an innings limited pitcher who has not pitched competitively at the big league level (did he make some minor league rehab appearances at the end of 2021 ?) seems a but rich for me for a team like the Halos that has not been willing to commit to signing top line starters but instead look to one year patch work deals.   I would think an incentive laden (G, IP etc.) would be the better approach towards a pitcher coming off a long. lay off due to injury/ surgery.  But that's me.

I guess we picked up the NY Mets lefty reliever today - $7.5 million a year for two years with a third year club/. player option ? that sounds ok and bolsters our pen -- I hope he's signed to complement Iglesias and not be his replacement.

All the Angels starters will effectively be innings limited because of the 6 man rotation. They simply won't have as many starts so their inning would cap by default. You are working pretty hard to dislike this deal.