• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Noah Syndergaard - Angels Agree to 1-Year, $21 Million Deal

Lhalo

1 hour ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

I saw an interview on a Mets podcast that basically said that Noah went to the Angels where players go to die. Said how the are squandering Trouts prime and how the state tax in CA is so bad. Following segment praising the hire of billy eppler….LOL

They aren't wrong.

2 hours ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

When comparing any of those to NY…yes they are 😂

The Angels have a history of signing players who decline and Trout’s career has been wasted.  They are also correct about Ca taxes being bad but not as bad as NY.

I hope Perry can change that perception, but based on his choices last year, I am not too hopeful.

54 minutes ago, eligrba said:

The Angels have a history of signing players who decline and Trout’s career has been wasted.  They are also correct about Ca taxes being bad but not as bad as NY.

I hope Perry can change that perception, but based on his choices last year, I am not too hopeful.

He basically took over 1.5 months into the offseason and had to construct his FO and offseason plans on the fly.  He made some pretty good moves (Cobb, Raisel Iglesias) and was also part of the organization when Ohtani made his gigantic leap into full-fledged stardom.

Sure, not every move panned out (Jose Iglesias, Quintana), but that's basically true for every GM.  Even the best ones (i.e. Friedman) have their significant misses in free agency (he signed Kazmir, McCarthy, Bauer, etc - lots of very expensive misses).

Whether Minasian is ultimately successful or not is largely contingent on how strong of a farm system he is able to build, his ability to find diamonds in the rough, and his ability to avoid long-term awful contracts (i.e. Pujols, Upton, etc).  We already have the stars in place (Ohtani, Trout, Rendon) - he just needs to surround those stars with solid young players and undervalued players.

On 11/16/2021 at 10:21 PM, failos said:

Terrible comparison. 

Also, would you rather have Thor or Teheran and Quintana?

Well, we shall see - the comparison part is to Kazmir using the Halos contract time and money to rehab and working that into at least two more lucrative contracts for teams other than the Anglels where he was in the starting rotation and did fairly well to some really good starts. Sure he fizzled out (with the Giants but was actually in the 2021 post-season series for them as an 'opener' in one of the playoff games).   Point well taken is that Syndergaard is 18 to 23 months post years TJ surgery and YES some pitchers seem to have a bionic stronger arm after TJ.

Kazmir was a NY Mets phenom prospect who went to Tampa Bay in a trade.

Just now, disarcina said:

Well, we shall see - the comparison part is to Kazmir using the Halos contract time and money to rehab and working that into at least two more lucrative contracts for teams other than the Anglels where he was in the starting rotation and did fairly well to some really good starts. Sure he fizzled out (with the Giants but was actually in the 2021 post-season series for them as an 'opener' in one of the playoff games).   Point well taken is that Syndergaard is 18 to 23 months post years TJ surgery and YES some pitchers seem to have a bionic stronger arm after TJ.

Kazmir was a NY Mets phenom prospect who went to Tampa Bay in a trade.

I could see Syndergaard perhaps not being ready in April / May. - pitch in about mud-June - do fairly well and then sign a multi-year deal elsewhere - perhaps back with the NY Mets.

12 hours ago, disarcina said:

I could see Syndergaard perhaps not being ready in April / May. - pitch in about mud-June - do fairly well and then sign a multi-year deal elsewhere - perhaps back with the NY Mets.

I was thinking same thing but start of May. Halos get 110 to 120 inn. 18 to 20 starts. Too much money for him to rush back. Minasian will need 2 more starters plus strong bullpen. SLC shuttle to John Wayne will be in full swing.

3 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Why wouldn't Syndergaard be ready? He pitched the end of last year and is 100% wrapped with his recovery.

Only pitched 2 inn Angels have already said he will be on inn limit. I think that is one of reasons he signed with halos. 6 man rotation and he will not be rushed. He pitches 110 to 120 inn and pitches like he has in past 100 million for him in next contract. 

39 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Only pitched 2 inn Angels have already said he will be on inn limit. I think that is one of reasons he signed with halos. 6 man rotation and he will not be rushed. He pitches 110 to 120 inn and pitches like he has in past 100 million for him in next contract. 

That doesn't mean that he'll be held back weeks into the season. 

They'll use the 6-man and he'll be in the Opening Day rotation unless he gets hurt in ST. 

1 hour ago, Angels 1961 said:

Maybe or maybe not. I hope he is healthy and pitches 200 inn but I believe halos take it slow with him.

There's no way he pitches 200 innings. I'm guessing the Angels are hoping for 130-150 or so, max, and having a 6-man helps them do that. Basically what Ohtani did last year, maybe with an extra 3-4 starts given that he won't be hitting. Shohei had a couple starts bounced too. Same plan. 

But holding him from the Opening Day rotation makes zero sense, unless he gets hurt in ST. They'll cut a start or two throughout the season or have him do a couple 1-3 IP starts if they need to slow him down.

Edited by totdprods