• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gerrit Cole signs with the Yankees (9 years, $324 million)

mmc

Just now, Stradling said:

But even though we need Cole a helluva a lot more than we need Rendon, I'd say Rendon will live up to whatever contract he gets much more so than Cole living up to $324 million.  

Very true.  324 million for a guy who only plays every fifth game is nuts.  Rendon will impact every game with his bat and protecting Trout in the line-up.

20 minutes ago, krAbs said:

I see. So we have opted to lose instead of spending money. There are two options teams have: spend the money it takes to win, or lose.

We all need to remember when our team slides in at .500 and Trout continues to not see the post season: at least Arte is saving money.

The third option is to develop talent in house, but it remains to be seen if we're capable of doing that. Ultimately the free agent route is only a temporary bandaid and used to supplement an already robust internal talent pipeline, like the Yankees have. 

3 minutes ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

The third option is to develop talent in house, but it remains to be seen if we're capable of doing that. Ultimately the free agent route is only a temporary bandaid and used to supplement an already robust internal talent pipeline, like the Yankees have. 

I think its more of a "yes, and" than an "either, or" type situation. Most high preforming teams right now have a core who developed in house, supplemented by high end signings (and also often trades). We're trying to to a "re-tool" where we don't tear down and build the farm, but also don't spend on the free market. It ain't gonna work.

Edit - maybe we go balls-to-the-wall and end up with Ryu, Rendon, and another pitcher. But...I'm not sure why we wouldn't be outbid for at least Rendon also.

Cole knew he wanted to play for the Yankees when he was drafted by them back in 2008 in the 1st round pick #28 out of OLU... He was very close to walking away from UCLA then "pushed by dad", but had made a commitment and went on to UCLA anyways. Always in the back of his mind he wondered what would had been when he was drafted by them. When you've got guys like Jeter and Pettitte chatting you up as a high schooler you always remember that!

They ran Pettitte back on him due to the relationship from before in 2008!

I've said it before. The only way he was signing here was if, the yankees showed zero interest!

41 minutes ago, zenmaster said:

You think we'd go 0-18 in those games with a pitcher other than him?

When your bullpen gets taxed to the point they are ineffective, yes.  a 7 inning pitcher makes a hell of a difference.

Of course we should be able to do that for a lot less than $36 mill a season.

3 hours ago, yk9001 said:

Lol @ you freaking imbeciles.

You spent months telling yourself every single day how Gerrit Cole was going to sign with the angels. Yet no one ever saw this sign?

If Angelswin were running intelligence for the Allies in World War II, we'd all be speaking German right now.

a5dcfee2000ea92574cef8a76602a732.jpg

"Was hast du bekommen, Billy?"

"Ich habe einen Stein."

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS6bWVhQXgLJnvKCJyssuw

25 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

Imagine what the market will be for him when he reaches free agency.

A brilliant pitcher and slugger. 10 years/$1 Billion??

I actually don’t know how these contracts are sustainable. It’s amazing to look at the salaries of the likes of Mantle, Maris or Aaron. People aren’t watching baseball or any sport like they used too. Yet, salaries keep going skyward. 

7 minutes ago, mymerlincat said:

Apparently, the Dodgers outbid us as well.

Not surprised..

They are the two teams in baseball that have endless money compared to us. They're also the two teams that were a Cole away from being WS favorites if everyone stays healthy.

I've accepted it. I wanted Cole bad, but reality was that we were probably always a distant 3rd due to the state of our team vs the Dogs and Skanks. I'll be interested to see what the Dogs final offer was. 

I browsed through this thread but didn't read every post but many of the suggestions for trades and free agent signings are realistic and I hope the Angels are aggressive in getting something done. My thought on this is Cole going to the Yankees weakens the Astros, the team the Angels have to overtake to win the West and the door is open to improve the club to make a run for the post season in 2020.  

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

once again we made an offer, we didn't know what the Yankees offer was.  So we offered the most any pitcher had ever received plus $50 million.  We still fell $30 million shy.  This isn't a silent auction where you see the last bid.  

One thing I will say is that the Angels maybe need to go beyond their valuation model in cases of high-end talent and if they are aware that other large payroll teams are involved in the bidding. Those are the moments where a free agent pricing modeling software will give you a number and you have to decide how much higher you really go because of the target and the competition. I think it is this judgement call of breaking the model interferes with the Angels success in capturing the best free agents (Teixeira, Sabathia, Cole). It was a substantial offer but they lost the game of chicken by a mile.

13 hours ago, RBM said:

Zack Wheeler's 5/118 is looking pretty good right now.

Wheeler was my choice and my prediction to be an Angel at the start of the off season. When we couldn't snatch him up I felt this was probably going to be another feeble winter with Arte and the gang "trying" and not getting it done. Been a familiar theme in Haloland for a long time.
 Time to search BBR to find a Vernon Wells clone..