• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gerrit Cole signs with the Yankees (9 years, $324 million)

mmc

1 minute ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

As for the "lowball" offer (under 300), I wonder if that was the top offer, and yankees last second upped it. Which if so, I think would signal they would do it again.

That's the point. When the Yankees want a player, they are going to get him as long as that player cares about getting the most money. Luckily for the Yankees, most players only care about getting the most money. With Cole, he gets the most money and a better chance to win a WS than even if he signed the exact same contract with the Angels. Winning a WS was very important to him according to that quote.  Worked out for Tex so let's see if it works out for Cole.

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

turns out the old SOB was pretty much spot on sans the political rants of course.  

Yep. 

If he was right all along, i wonder what took so long.

Looking back, that was last Saturday...

Maybe we made some crazy offer on sunday night... pre strass deal....

.... which leads to the fletcher emoji....

Yankees counter, and viola.

3 minutes ago, floplag said:

Well as usual we dont know that and were assuming, but lets assume for a moment that both were equal, who do you choose? 

We do know that...they disclosed Yankees offered the most

"Hearing that #Angels and #Dodgers offers to Gerrit Cole were behind in both years and average annual value to the nine-year, $324-million deal the RHP got from #Yankees."

Just now, ten ocho recon scout said:

Yep. 

If he was right all along, i wonder what took so long.

Looking back, that was last Saturday...

Maybe we made some crazy offer on sunday night... pre strass deal....

.... which leads to the fletcher emoji....

Yankees counter, and viola.

Damn you’re probably right... Boras kept getting Stras’s number higher and higher and when he got that record deal inked the sky was the limit for Cole

3 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

We do know that...they disclosed Yankees offered the most

"Hearing that #Angels and #Dodgers offers to Gerrit Cole were behind in both years and average annual value to the nine-year, $324-million deal the RHP got from #Yankees."

WE could have matched, im betting it became clear to those in the room what was going on and they stopped, rightfully so.  He had many chances to accept, and didnt.  Based on his comments about what his friend told him about it not mattering where you sleep if your goal is to win a title, we were never actually in it.

You can blame Epp is you want, i think its misplaced.   If anything we probably screwed over the Yanks on this one and ran them up. 

1 minute ago, floplag said:

WE could have matched, im betting it became clear to those in the room what was going on and they stopped, rightfully so.  He had many chances to accept, and didnt.  Based on his comments about what his friend told him about it not mattering where you sleep if your goal is to win a title, we were never actually in it.

You can blame Epp is you want, i think its misplaced.   If anything we probably screwed over the Yanks on this one and ran them up. 

Yeah, we could have matched and he still would have gone with NYY...we had to beat them and that would have been ridiculous.

I don't blame Eppler at all...it's Arte's call and the it was the right one.

10 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Also, WTF were those eyes about Fletcher

I took it as he saw the numbers being discussed around Cole and that's behind the surprise eyes.

For all those chatting about Rendon going to the Rangers or Dodgers over the Angels, you are forgetting that Texas has no state income tax so the Angels or Dodgers would have to offer considerably more to get Rendon to play for them over the Rangers.

14 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

"Loud Noises!!!"

I wanted Cole, I also knew the Yankees would be the biggest obstacle for them given their future rotation issues.   So, I'm not one of those people shocked or all that put out by this other than Cole would have been a ridiculously amazing stroke of luck had he fallen into the Angels laps -- if you can consider having to pay a guy a top three salary "lucky".   I just know it took a lot of the pressure off the team by filling a glaring hole...

What I am annoyed with is guys like Gibson and Pineda being gone.   There is a reason I was calling for them to sign a guy early, there is a reason I made a thread about value buys...    Ryu is probably the best chance at getting a non ridiculous deal and that guy comes with all kinds of past injury issues.  Bumgarner is not someone I have a whole lot of confidence in moving forward.   Price?  Meh...  Only if they can get him for 15-17 mil a year and if that happens I would expect there to be other teams willing to take on that deal.

The Rendon talk...    I see the Angels as being third on his wish list.   Dodgers offer him a better chance to win now, they have just as much money.  The Rangers rotation makes the Angels staff look like a joke by comparison and Texas is home -- sure our offense is better, does he think the team will be?  Who knows..

All I know is that Gibson for 3/30 and Pineda for 2/20 would look really good right now -- and that is very very frustrating to me.

It’s just amazing to me that we let all the more reasonable buys go in order for us to be left at the alter with Cole. How did they not see this scenario playing out in front of them?