• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gerrit Cole signs with the Yankees (9 years, $324 million)

mmc

Yes I wanted him but I'm also not going to call the guy all sorts of names or anything. You can't fault a guy for accepting a deal to be the highest paid pitcher ever and play for his childhood team. The guy is really living the dream. He may have gone for the most money, but he also went to the team he rooted for growing up. That's a huge factor for some people I'd say. And no one here can deny the Yankees are in a much, much (much) better position than us to win a few championships. 

Side note: Did we ever find out what Jeff Fletcher was talking about with his eyes, pancakes, and bear emojis? Get bad info? Too many drinks? Unrelated?

47 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

Lol @ you freaking imbeciles.

You spent months telling yourself every single day how Gerrit Cole was going to sign with the angels. Yet no one ever saw this sign?

If Angelswin were running intelligence for the Allies in World War II, we'd all be speaking German right now.

a5dcfee2000ea92574cef8a76602a732.jpg

Yankees paid the most by one more guaranteed year plus $36 ml but it was his nostalgia that won him over...

Sure, buddy.. 

Cole will face pressure like never before. At the ballpark and everywhere else. Media and tabloids lurking everywhere. Celebrity photo ops and distractions. Private life fair game for snooping. Pittsburgh and Houston were nothing like what's coming next. 

Top money equals highest expectations. Immediately. Every pitch will be scrutinized. Anything less than domination will be questioned. And the honeymoon period will be over quickly if he doesn't live up to expectations. 

And his salary will be brought up constantly over the coming years as an impediment to the team if he isn't elite and wins the biggest games. Or gets hurt and shows regression. A la Pujols. 

Right now he is at the very peak of his career. That's why all this developed the way it did. He will either fulfill his dreams or not. Become a legend or not. Either way he will have more pressure on him than anyone else. 

I would have thought he'd have gone to the Dodgers had the offers been close enough. Probably even more of a certainty for the playoffs. A better pitcher's ballpark and more stable weather. A deeper rotation than the Yankees and a stream of young elite talent everywhere in their lineup. The 'hometown' factor more or less. 

Maybe his desire to 'win now' and often,  was what kept the Angels out of the mix. Looks like he doesn't have the desire to go through a multi year roster reconstruction but wants an instant winner.

In the end, it probably was 99% money/term  and readiness to win and maybe 1% childhood fantasy brought to life. 

Out of curiosity I'd like to know what the Angels and Dodgers offers were and who had the second best bid. And if it came down to a two team choice with one dropping out. 

1 hour ago, yk9001 said:

Lol @ you freaking imbeciles.

You spent months telling yourself every single day how Gerrit Cole was going to sign with the angels. Yet no one ever saw this sign?

If Angelswin were running intelligence for the Allies in World War II, we'd all be speaking German right now.

a5dcfee2000ea92574cef8a76602a732.jpg

Many Yankee fans were upset last summer when their team failed to sign their first round draft pick, Gerrit Cole, who instead elected to go to college.

But Cole doesn’t regret that decision. Actually quite the opposite and something that Alex Rodriguez said during the conference is what really made him feel like he made the right choice in choosing UCLA over the fast track to the Bronx.

“He said the one thing he regrets most is being so young and going into Major League Baseball,” Cole said. “He said he wished he would have gone to college and grown up.”

Just now, Stradling said:

Maybe, then he came to us because he wanted to be close to where he grew up.  

$$$ is the only language Boras speaks. There are no hometown discounts with that guy, and both the Yanks and Angels give Cole a chance to win. It’s not like we’re the Orioles or something. This was about money—I mean look at the disparity between the Angels’ and Yanks’ offers.

Just now, failos said:

$$$ is the only language Boras speaks. There are no hometown discounts with that guy, and both the Yanks and Angels give Cole a chance to win. It’s not like we’re the Orioles or something. This was about money—I mean look at the disparity between the Angels’ and Yanks’ offers.

Once again, Boras works for Cole.  All Cole had to do was say yes to the Angels offer, he didn't.  I obviously love the Angels and am as optimistic as the next guy, but objectively the Yankees give him a much better chance to win.  They are now the favorites to win the World Series.  If we got him we might be the favorites for the 2nd Wild Card.  

Just now, Stradling said:

Once again, Boras works for Cole.  All Cole had to do was say yes to the Angels offer, he didn't.  I obviously love the Angels and am as optimistic as the next guy, but objectively the Yankees give him a much better chance to win.  They are now the favorites to win the World Series.  If we got him we might be the favorites for the 2nd Wild Card.  

Dude why would he say yes to the Angels when they offered him ~$50M less? The Angels were outbid, everything else is speculation at best.

And no, Cole alone would’ve netted the Angels at least 18 more wins than 2019.