• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gerrit Cole signs with the Yankees (9 years, $324 million)

mmc

What an offseason so far for the Angels. I’m glad they’re “all in” though. I was really pissed odd earlier and now I’ve had a chance to calm down. I’m still incredibly upset with the news. Now our Plan D option of Ryu/Bumgarner as our top targets feels so damn underwhelming. At this point there’s not even a guarantee we can grab those guys. Grandal, Wheeler, Stras, Cole. Goose egg on all of them. It’s very frustrating. More so with Arte. I can’t blame Eppler on this. I don’t get why others are either. Even if we get Rendon we'll be in a similar spot as the 2013 team trying to slug our way to wins. Looking at next offseason there’s really nothing great on the board either. This was the chance to nail down an anchor to lead this retooled team back to the post season or at least get on the right path. Not looking good at the moment. Sure things can change but ehhh. I’m not holding my breath. 

3 minutes ago, Jamey Colin Hodgin said:

Sour grapes y’all. You guys wanted Cole so bad you could taste it. Cole just didn’t want you. This money is nothing for the Yankees. He is now pitching for THE premiere franchise in baseball. You weren’t making the playoffs with him. To hear some of you with the well we didn’t want him anyway bs makes it that much better. What makes you think anybody wants to play for the angels? It’s a 3rd tier franchise with no hope of the playoffs in sight. Not only do the yanks have cole but a stacked team and farm system. Long live the kings. 

Actually, it IS something for the Yankees. With this contract, they'll actually be paying around $50 million/year for Cole, so there's that. Enjoy your $200 concessions trip each time you buy a snack. 

Premiere franchise? Yeah, maybe last century.

Since 2001, the Angels have as many WS championships as the Yankees. So do the Marlins. The Giants have won 3x as many. The Red Sox 4x as many. Suck on that. Premiere franchise, my ass. 

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Never said I was looking for value.  Ok so Vernon Wells was 3 GMs ago.  

Ok the Wells comment was not strictly relevant to your post. My point is that this scenario that played out was not unlikely. Yes none of us expected to see Strasberg sign for what he did, but the Angels should’ve been prepared for the Cole contract to reach $300 million from the get go and if they weren’t ok with that then they should’ve been far more proactive with other targets. If Cole really wanted to play here he would be, buying into that hype is a mistake by the front office.

1 minute ago, Mark68 said:

Actually, it IS something for the Yankees. With this contract, they'll actually be paying around $50 million/year for Cole, so there's that. Enjoy your $200 concessions trip each time you buy a snack. 

Since 2001, the Angels have as many WS championships as the Yankees. So do the Marlins. The Giants have won 3x as many. The Red Sox 4x as many. Suck on that. Premiere franchise, my ass. 

Lol wasn’t even worth a reply bro.

Well shit, i actually allowed myself to believe it for a minute.  

The Yankees are the only team that could do that, time and time again, and its why we all hate them, but the reality is we also have ourselves to blame. 

We would have had to overpay, by a ton, to get him to come to what has been an average at best team in recent years.  Its clear the decision came down to winning baseball, something we have not done.  This is why you dont waste years waiting for the time to be right.

Curse him if you wish, but the reality is almost every one of us would have done the same.   If we couldnt convince the guy that grew up a fan of this org to help rebuild it, im not sure where that leaves us until we start winning games again. 

1 minute ago, Mark68 said:

Now he's going to remind you of what some dead people did before he was born

5 minutes ago, Second Base said:

No they just received a gigantic leap forward from Berrios, Odorizzi and Pineda and had breakout stars on offense, had Miguel Sano finally make good on all that stupid potential, and had the Indians pitching staff fall apart and no other competition in the division.

So now the Angels just need to convince the A's to suck, infect the Astros rotation with the Ebola virus and inject every swinging dick on the team with enough anabolic steroids to impregnate a lion and we'll be good to go.

Shit.... That felt good. 

Oh yeah Pineda... there is another guy we didn’t need.

Just now, Second Base said:

I guess the good thing is New York payroll just crossed 241 million. So they're paying Cole basically 52 million this year. Not that it matters when you have more money than George Foreman has sperm cells.

Or sons named after himself.

6 minutes ago, Mark68 said:

god damn GIF

shocked chris tucker GIF

7 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I haven’t read that quote from him.

"According to Ken Rosenthal of FOX and The Athletic, the Chicago White Sox offered Wheeler more than Philadelphia did. However, Wheeler chose the opportunity to play closer to his wife’s native New Jersey over additional cash."

7 minutes ago, floplag said:

Well shit, i actually allowed myself to believe it for a minute.  

The Yankees are the only team that could do that, time and time again, and its why we all hate them, but the reality is we also have ourselves to blame. 

We would have had to overpay, by a ton, to get him to come to what has been an average at best team in recent years.  Its clear the decision came down to winning baseball, something we have not done.  This is why you dont waste years waiting for the time to be right.

Curse him if you wish, but the reality is almost every one of us would have done the same.   If we couldnt convince the guy that grew up a fan of this org to help rebuild it, im not sure where that leaves us until we start winning games again. 

They were also the highest bidder so, you know, it was always about the money, then winning, then geography..

10 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

$100 mill for five years seems reasonable. Bumgarner...great pitcher who's a beast on the mound, with a will to win. I think you get three really good years out of him. Not Cole, but not bad, and a helluva lot cheaper.

The Angels have a fist-full of holes to plug. It will be an uphill climb. You really can't expect Cole to join a crew where Max Stassi is presently the only catcher in sight.

Just now, Lou said:

"According to Ken Rosenthal of FOX and The Athletic, the Chicago White Sox offered Wheeler more than Philadelphia did. However, Wheeler chose the opportunity to play closer to his wife’s native New Jersey over additional cash."

So no quote from Wheeler about not wanting to play on the west coast?