• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gerrit Cole signs with the Yankees (9 years, $324 million)

mmc

8 minutes ago, failos said:

Dude why would he say yes to the Angels when they offered him ~$50M less? The Angels were outbid, everything else is speculation at best.

And no, Cole alone would’ve netted the Angels at least 18 more wins than 2019.

give me a break, Cole wouldn't equate to 18 more wins.  Why would he say yes to the Angels if they offered him $50 million less?  Because he would still be getting more money than he could have ever spent and pitched where he grew up.  I don't care, I am over it, but to pretend it is all Boras's fault is stupid.  Hell it isn't Arte's fault.  It is just something that happened.  

Just now, Stradling said:

give me a break, Cole wouldn't equate to 18 more wins.  Why would he say yes to the Angels if they offered him $50 million less?  Because he would still be getting more money than he could have ever spent and pitched where he grew up.  I don't care, I am over it, but to pretend it is all Boras's fault is stupid.  Hell it isn't Arte's fault.  It is just something that happened.  

Let’s say the Angels offered him $350 and the Yanks offered him $280. You really think he’d still go to the Yankees? That’s insane.

Cole couldn’t win 18 games in a season, really?

No way I'm reading this entire thread, but I argued with several of you around this time yesterday saying that as soon as the rumors were it was going to take 300+ million to sign Cole, the Angels needed to move on.  While I agree it sucks not to get a pitcher of Cole's talent, this contract is simply horrible.  The Angels were smart not trying to match or pass it.  Arte and Eppler made the right decision.

IMO, the move now is to sign Rendon and Teheran (or a pitcher like him) and then look into a trade for a very good starter.  It doesn't need to be an ace, just a solid top end of the rotation type of guy.

3 minutes ago, failos said:

Let’s say the Angels offered him $350 and the Yanks offered him $280. You really think he’d still go to the Yankees? That’s insane.

Cole couldn’t win 18 games in a season, really?

yes, Cole would probably win 18 games, that isn't an 18 game swing.  Sure he probably signs with us if we gave him $70 million more.  

6 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

No way I'm reading this entire thread, but I argued with several of you around this time yesterday saying that as soon as the rumors were it was going to take 300+ million to sign Cole, the Angels needed to move on.  While I agree it sucks not to get a pitcher of Cole's talent, this contract is simply horrible.  The Angels were smart not trying to match or pass it.  Arte and Eppler made the right decision.

IMO, the move now is to sign Rendon and Teheran (or a pitcher like him) and then look into a trade for a very good starter.  It doesn't need to be an ace, just a solid top end of the rotation type of guy.

Agree. Rendon would make our lineup nasty.

I see. So we have opted to lose instead of spending money. There are two options teams have: spend the money it takes to win, or lose.

We all need to remember when our team slides in at .500 and Trout continues to not see the post season: at least Arte is saving money.

29 minutes ago, failos said:

$$$ is the only language Boras speaks. There are no hometown discounts with that guy, and both the Yanks and Angels give Cole a chance to win. It’s not like we’re the Orioles or something. This was about money—I mean look at the disparity between the Angels’ and Yanks’ offers.

Weave agrees.

1 minute ago, krAbs said:

I see. So we have opted to lose instead of spending money. There are two options teams have: spend the money it takes to win, or lose.

We all need to remember when our team slides in at .500 and Trout continues to not see the post season: at least Arte is saving money.

once again we made an offer, we didn't know what the Yankees offer was.  So we offered the most any pitcher had ever received plus $50 million.  We still fell $30 million shy.  This isn't a silent auction where you see the last bid.  

6 minutes ago, Bronson said:

Agree. Rendon would make our lineup nasty.

The reality is the Angels can still have a much improved rotation for 2020 and with Rendon in the line-up, the offense, which was already pretty good, becomes very good.  Can you imagine what Trout can do with Rendon hitting behind him in the line-up?

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

once again we made an offer, we didn't know what the Yankees offer was.  So we offered the most any pitcher had ever received plus $50 million.  We still fell $30 million shy.  This isn't a silent auction where you see the last bid.  

Yeah man, I'm sure we had no idea what the Yankees were offering. If there is one thing we know about Boras, its that he tries to make sure that teams don't bid against each other, and makes sure his players get paid as little as possible.

Just now, failos said:

Well look how many games Cahill lost. Imagine if Cole pitched instead (200+ IP). There’s your answer.

There is zero chance we would win 18 more games with Cole.  Sure he could go 20-0 but it still doesn't mean we would go 0-20 without him.  

1 minute ago, VariousCrap said:

The reality is the Angels can still have a much improved rotation for 2020 and with Rendon in the line-up, the offense, which was already pretty good, becomes very good.  Can you imagine what Trout can do with Rendon hitting behind him in the line-up?

Yeah I was telling everyone last night.

Trout will finally get proper protection. They won’t be able to pitch around him. 

A top 4 of Fletcher, Trout, Rendon and Ohtani is NASTY.

I'd like to see some of the Diamond Jim Brady lifestyles some of the board complainers live.

Premium gas on every fill up.

Wagyu steaks every time out.

Designer shirts with a tailor on call for custom fitting.

It was (checks calendar) all of one year ago that Arte gave the biggest contract by far.  $100 million MORE than Cole.

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

My guess is the Angels offered around 8/280 which is a huge offer.

I don't know if we'll ever find out for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if it went down like this:

Angels final offer is 8/280.
Yanks offer is 8/288.

Boras goes the Yanks and tells them if they add another season, Cole is theirs otherwise he is going home.  They add the extra year and get him.

Just now, Stradling said:

There is zero chance we would win 18 more games with Cole.  Sure he could go 20-0 but it still doesn't mean we would go 0-20 without him.  

Cahil pitched ~100 Innings

Barria pitched ~80 innings

Both had 19 losses combined.

8-19

Cole pitched ~200 innings

20-5

so maybe he wouldn’t net us 18+ wins but the difference is still striking enough