• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Should Mike Scioscia Be Fired Poll

Should Mike Scioscia Be Fired Poll  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Should Mike Scioscia Be Fired?

• No. I'm a Mike Scioscia Supporter.
    • Yes, Mike Scioscia Out! Fire Him!

You guys are making it sound like Pujols is a terrible first baseman, he is not.  I've seen virtually all the games this year, and he has turned a lot of bad throws to first into outs.  He is by far the best first baseman in the system right now.  Is he an ideal clean up hitter, .....no.  However, I think, as has already happened in a couple of games, Ohtani will displace him in that role, first against right handed pitching.  Even as he can't execute as well as he once did, he's a veteran team leader, and is smart about baseball.  Trout doesn't hang with him because they like the same music, they talk baseball and strategy.  And before some wise ass says that's Scioscia's job, no it's not his job during the game.

11 hours ago, Torridd said:

Why should he be fired? Half the lineup isn't hitting and the bullpen isn't pitching. 

after reading through this thread, it's depressing to see how many fans here just don't get that.

On 5/21/2018 at 3:10 PM, Jeff Fletcher said:

You mean so Jefry Marte and Luis Valbuena can play more?

The lack of talent and depth is why this thread even exists. Houston will be pulling away soon leaving us to battle for the second wild card again. It will be Scioscia’s last season regardless. 

14 hours ago, SuperTroopers said:

No not yet.   Chris Carter isn’t a real upgrade.  Our talent is a year or two away.  

Our talent always seems to be a year or two (or three) away. And then when it gets here it's often a dud, or in the case of the pitchers, their arms fall apart.

That's a big part of the recent (last decade?) problems.

Trout, of course, was an exception.

Edited by fan_since79

15 hours ago, Kevinb said:

Is that the only option? I don’t know the minors much anymore. But is there no one down there who could put up what Pujols is doing dh’ing/first base ? I’m seriously asking that’s not some snide way of being condescending 

Well, they just promoted Thaiss and Ward to AAA..  So..   Who knows what the team may be thinking at the all star break and if AP's circling the drain at an even faster clip...

4 hours ago, OHTANILAND said:

The lack of talent and depth is why this thread even exists. Houston will be pulling away soon leaving us to battle for the second wild card again. It will be Scioscia’s season regardless. 

then that should be the exact reason for a Fire Eppler thread. The manager can only manage the players given to him by the gm. He is not responsible for the myriad of things that too many here want to dump on his doorstep.

assigning  blame to the manager because pitchers get injured or the right fielder isn't hitting his IQ is misplaced.

Edited by Tank

38 minutes ago, Tank said:

then that should be the exact reason for a Fire Eppler thread. The manager can only manage the players given to him by the gm. He is not responsible for the myriad of things that too many here want to dump on his doorstep.

assigning  blame to the manager because pitchers get injured or the right fielder isn't hitting his IQ is misplaced.

This will be Scioscia’s last season as manager so next year will be a season of transition. I’m pretty sure that Eppler will bring in his own manager. I’m looking forward to a new voice and someone that has a vested interest in the future of the franchise. Sosh has nearly completed his obligation so he has about 4 months left to prepare for his retirement. His first twelve seasons were great, his next eight seasons weren’t much to talk about. 

• 4 weeks later...

I also agree that firing Scioscia now is kind of pointless...it should have happened years ago.

In my opinion Scioscia got a lot of credit for the work of Joe Maddon and wouldn't have had even half of his success of the past without him.  I came to this theory after watching Joe Maddon's continued success after his departure from the Angels in 2006 and Mike Scioscia's decline without him.

Since leaving the Angels to manage in 2006 Joe Maddon has been to the playoffs 7 times with two teams.  He has a .485 winning percentage (32-34) with two pennants and 1 world series title.

Since Joe Maddon left the Angels in 2006 Mike Scioscia has been to the playoffs 4 times, all with the Angels.  He has a .316 winning percentage (6-13) with no pennants or world series titles.

I know this is all my theory but I believe that Joe Maddon had a huge influence on Mike's past success and is the reason he's been so unsuccessful since he left.

In Joe's 15 years as a manager he's got a .540 winning percentage

In Mike's 19 years as a manager he's got a .538 winning percentage

Just now, Dick B Back said:

Doesn’t look like a ballplayer there, looks like the VP of Nebraska Savings & Loan.

Looks like the letter "N" with Erstad's head as the letter "O" = NO.

The Angels have won 2 games in a row, so Scioscia keeps his job.

If they lose tonight, he should be fired.

If they lose tonight because of the bullpen, he should be excommunicated from baseball.

But if they win again tonight, sign him to an extension.

On 6/19/2018 at 5:43 PM, nmiller0113 said:

In my opinion Scioscia got a lot of credit for the work of Joe Maddon

God I am so sick and tired of this false narrative. Joe Maddon was part of the most disasterous collapse in Angels history. He was on the Collins team that self distructed taking out the coaching staff and led to Edmonds being traded and sparked Disney to consider selling the team.

He had zero success moving the Angels anywhere towards a playoff until Scioscia came aboard and changed the entire philosophy of the Angels. Maddon learned under Scioscia how to be a manager. Up until that time he was just a coach, a nice guy and someone you may want on the bench and that's why he was the only coach Sciocia kept from the purge.

Had Scioscia ejected him with the rest of Collin's squad he'd probably still be some teams bench coach without any World Series experience. The resume he took to the Rays (the bottom feeder franchise) was the one built on Scioscia's managing. He then instituted every thing Scioscia does to make the Ray's successful including 120 different lineups every year. 

Shit people get a grip. 

3 minutes ago, Blarg said:

God I am so sick and tired of this false narrative. Joe Maddon was part of the most disasterous collapse in Angels history. He was on the Collins team that self distructed taking out the coaching staff and led to Edmonds being traded and sparked Disney to consider selling the team.

He had zero success moving the Angels anywhere towards a playoff until Scioscia came aboard and changed the entire philosophy of the Angels. Maddon learned under Scioscia how to be a manager. Up until that time he was just a coach, a nice guy and someone you may want on the bench and that's why he was the only coach Sciocia kept from the purge.

Had Scioscia ejected him with the rest of Collin's squad he'd probably still be some teams bench coach without any World Series experience. The resume he took to the Rays (the bottom feeder franchise) was the one built on Scioscia's managing. He then instituted every thing Scioscia does to make the Ray's successful including 120 different lineups every year. 

Shit people get a grip. 

If it is anti Scioscia it will get attention and consideration.  

On 6/19/2018 at 5:43 PM, nmiller0113 said:

I also agree that firing Scioscia now is kind of pointless...it should have happened years ago.

In my opinion Scioscia got a lot of credit for the work of Joe Maddon and wouldn't have had even half of his success of the past without him.  I came to this theory after watching Joe Maddon's continued success after his departure from the Angels in 2006 and Mike Scioscia's decline without him.

Since leaving the Angels to manage in 2006 Joe Maddon has been to the playoffs 7 times with two teams.  He has a .485 winning percentage (32-34) with two pennants and 1 world series title.

Since Joe Maddon left the Angels in 2006 Mike Scioscia has been to the playoffs 4 times, all with the Angels.  He has a .316 winning percentage (6-13) with no pennants or world series titles.

I know this is all my theory but I believe that Joe Maddon had a huge influence on Mike's past success and is the reason he's been so unsuccessful since he left.

In Joe's 15 years as a manager he's got a .540 winning percentage

In Mike's 19 years as a manager he's got a .538 winning percentage

Thank you AnaheimBob.

40 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Shit people get a grip. 

@Blarg you gotta remember that a bunch of AW posters were either crapping their diapers or Dodger fans prior to 2002. They have zero knowledge of the history of this franchise.

I'm not saying Maddon isn't a great manager but he was just a bench coach before he teamed up with Scioscia. His resume to become a manager never took place before Scioscia managed the Angels to a World Series then a run of playoffs never before seen in this franchise's history. That is resume building for the bench coaches and created three new managers from that success. They were part of it, but they were not fully responsible for any of it.

Love him or hate him, Scioscia is, imo, the best manager the Angels have ever had. I would however like to see a change but not just for change sake. I'd like to see someone from within the organization or perhaps a former Angel player or coach as the next manager. 

Just throwing some names out there:

Erstad

Percy

Ebel..(I know he's a former Dodger but he's been here a long time)

Wally Joyner

Bobby Grich

Jack Howell

Bengie Molina

Jose Molina