• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Should Mike Scioscia Be Fired Poll

Should Mike Scioscia Be Fired Poll  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Should Mike Scioscia Be Fired?

• No. I'm a Mike Scioscia Supporter.
    • Yes, Mike Scioscia Out! Fire Him!

One thing to consider with Madden is that after he took over from Collins in September 1999, they went from being 53-80 to being 17-12 while he managed the team.

Granted that could have been partly due to relief from not having Collins around anymore, although the hothead Larry Bowa was still there on the staff.

2 hours ago, Kevin said:

I think Joe Maddon would feel uncomfortable with all the Joe Maddon love trolls give him. 

He'd probably be the first to tell everyone how great of a manager Mike is and how much he learned from him. 

Just a hunch. 

Yes but dude definitely likes attention.  Have you seen how he has his team dress on road trips a couple of times a year?   I think it’s cool but it’s certainly more of a look at us kind of attitude versus Mike. 

11 hours ago, Tank said:

Still find it amazing that while our starting pitching has been depleted and we don't have a terribly talented bullpen and the offense gets colder than a witches' tits in winter, yet people still want to fire the manager.

I'm hoping Scioscia doesn't return and we win the division next year, just to watch people go apeshit all year. 

2 minutes ago, Lou said:

I'm hoping Scioscia doesn't return and we win the division next year, just to watch people go apeshit all year. 

or if he stays and they win - you'll get the same craziness from people

14 hours ago, Tank said:

Still find it amazing that while our starting pitching has been depleted and we don't have a terribly talented bullpen and the offense gets colder than a witches' tits in winter, yet people still want to fire the manager.

I argue that the manager has minimal impact, but lately, I've been questioning his decisions, especially with his handling of pitchers.  Examples include, pulling starters early when they're cruising along and pulling relievers after pitching an easy inning or even in a handful of cases one batter.  The main weakness has been the bullpen but it doesn't help if Scioscia is CONSTANTLY using them frequently and essentially burning the bullpen to the ground with overuse.  I couldn't find with certainty but according to baseball reference, the Angels have used their relievers the 2nd most this season.  

Mike Scioscia should absolutely be let go after this season.  I'm not sure about midway through the season but whatever message he is selling is and has been falling on deaf ears as this is a VERY soft baseball team.  MS has had a top 7 payroll for a decade+ and hasn't won squat.  Multiple GMs, Multiple players, yada yada yada.  This team could manage themselves to a similar record. The players and fans deserve much better.  Team is flat and wasting away the first half of Trout's career.  What a waste of talent!

On 6/23/2018 at 9:05 AM, Blarg said:

God I am so sick and tired of this false narrative. Joe Maddon was part of the most disasterous collapse in Angels history. He was on the Collins team that self distructed taking out the coaching staff and led to Edmonds being traded and sparked Disney to consider selling the team.

He had zero success moving the Angels anywhere towards a playoff until Scioscia came aboard and changed the entire philosophy of the Angels. Maddon learned under Scioscia how to be a manager. Up until that time he was just a coach, a nice guy and someone you may want on the bench and that's why he was the only coach Sciocia kept from the purge.

Had Scioscia ejected him with the rest of Collin's squad he'd probably still be some teams bench coach without any World Series experience. The resume he took to the Rays (the bottom feeder franchise) was the one built on Scioscia's managing. He then instituted every thing Scioscia does to make the Ray's successful including 120 different lineups every year. 

Shit people get a grip. 

Actually, I know all about the history.  Just because I never chose to post previously doesn't mean I don't know about the Angels, or baseball.  The point of my statement is who has changed with the times, who has made adjustments?  Scioscia has been in a downward spiral for quite some time now while Maddon has not.  I was also posting regarding what I've observed over the years.  While you mention he'd be a nobody if Scioscia hadn't kept him on staff, there's obviously a reason he did...I'm not faulting Scioscia as a manager as a whole, in fact, the reason he kept Maddon on board shows that he can recognize good leadership.  I think Scioscia struggles at managing a team without strong leadership like Maddon on board.  He lost all his strong leaders in Roenicke and Black as well...and again...he's been in a downward spiral ever since.  It's funny you call out Joe Maddon as a failure, since he's obviously not now, and if Scioscia did a great job mentoring to the point where Maddon showed his value, then YES, Maddon should still get credit.