• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2022-23 Offseason Hot Stove Thread

mmc

2 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

What the heck is this bull crap?

Players either need to get straight or get out. Not cool. 

being that nevin did a pretty good job of turning around a sinking ship. i'd take this with a grain of salt. 

i would also say, if the clubhouse was that fractured to begin with, then what was joe maddon even good at then?

2 minutes ago, ukyah said:

being that nevin did a pretty good job of turning around a sinking ship. i'd take this with a grain of salt. 

i would also say, if the clubhouse was that fractured to begin with, then what was joe maddon even good at then?

No wonder things were such a disaster last year if this is true. 

These extra long contracts are very interesting actually.   They're almost going to function like void years in NFL deal.  

Helps hold the AAV down for these guys during their peak years and gets them to their total number.  They're essentially kicking the can down the road. 

Plus, it does add some risk to the player in that they can't retire if they want their money.  If you're gonna do 8 or 9 years, you might as well do 11 for a few mil more.  

6 hours ago, ukyah said:

let me just extrapolate what you said fairly because it is what you just said.

if rengifo plays well, if fletcher plays better, if valezquez plays well, if soto plays well, then the 2b/ss looks OK.

i think SS might be more needful than a 4th OF.

I agree a SS would have more impact but there may be better value in the OF.  Since the goal is to improve the offense, given the SS  acquisition costs as discussed, it may just be too expensive.  Trading a SP (Sandoval and Suarez have been mentioned) and Rengifo is too much.  

6 hours ago, Pancake Bear said:

No kidding. Where would a fourth outfield play? 😂 If anything, we need a glove first guy to ride the bench in case of injury. 

Trout and Ward played a combined 254 games, Renfroe played 125 for a total of 379 out of 486 possible outfield games games last year.  The fourth outfielder will get plenty of games and at bats.  Ward can give Trout days off in center.  

Moniak’s hitting is nowhere nears ready for 80 OF starts.

Halos still need a 4th OF, solid enough SS, RH starter, and late innings guy if they want to seriously contend in 2023.

Maybe there are options for the latter 3 in the org, but there is NO ONE who is ready for 80 OF starts.

Edited by Angel Oracle

8 hours ago, CanadianHalo said:

Pain. Well Perry, I’m impressed you wanted Contreras. Damn shame you didn’t land him but I’m glad to hear you tried 

This got lost in the Bogaerts shuffle, but this seems rather notable - Perry attempted to land the top catcher on the market.

So - maybe a big priority is catcher?

And if we had, in theory, gotten Contreras - what would have the subsequent dominoes have been?  Would Contreras and O'Hoppe be the future at the position, or would O'Hoppe be flipped in a trade later?

As for the Padres moves - they are REALLY going all in, and it's awesome to see.  You can see the door possibly slamming shut soon - they have a ton of FAs next year (Darvish, Snell, Hader) and a lot of committed payroll, and then soon Soto thereafter, and a depleted farm system now.  So it does behoove them to absolutely go for it.  And props to their ownership group, that is exactly what they are doing now.

2 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

This got lost in the Bogaerts shuffle, but this seems rather notable - Perry attempted to land the top catcher on the market.

I think it was Contreras or bust as far as upgrading catcher went. I’ve wanted Contreras for years. I floated out the idea of flipping Fletch for Contreras when his value was really high.

Perry saw an opportunity here and took his shot. It’s a damn shame he missed. I’m really encouraged to hear that he tried though. Whenever you can get the type of offensive production at the plate from the catcher position that Contreras brings it’s a HUGE plus. It would’ve done a lot overall for this lineup. 

My perfect offseason would’ve been Contreras, Bassit and Abreu. All in that 3-5 year range at 17-20 per.

Like I said, I’m not sure where you pivot to from here. We need a lot more than a Carlos Correa if we’re going to make a run at the playoffs. 

5 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

As for the Padres moves - they are REALLY going all in, and it's awesome to see.  You can see the door possibly slamming shut soon - they have a ton of FAs next year (Darvish, Snell, Hader) and a lot of committed payroll, and then soon Soto thereafter, and a depleted farm system now.  So it does behoove them to absolutely go for it.  And props to their ownership group, that is exactly what they are doing now.

With the way some of these top teams are throwing around money the Angels are being sold at a good time

In a year or two it’s going to be really tough for teams that aren’t spending crazy money to compete

The NL playoffs are pretty much on lock for the next few years with the Dodgers, Mets, Padres, Phillies, Braves and one NL central team 

I assume the Giants will be players for Correa but man, unless I’m just wanting to get paid signing with the Giants right now sounds like an awful idea given the division they’re in

1 hour ago, Warfarin said:

And if we had, in theory, gotten Contreras - what would have the subsequent dominoes have been?  Would Contreras and O'Hoppe be the future at the position, or would O'Hoppe be flipped in a trade later?

That doesn't make much sense after the trade for O'Hoppe and Quero being maybe a couple of years away from the bigs...but there may be other things involved....the Astros were looking at using Contreras in LF some, with Maldanado sharing C duties...🙅‍♂️

1 hour ago, Warfarin said:

Again, it’s probably that they liked the player and decided to place a semi-competitive bid. If it worked out - great! Worry about the ramifications after the fact. Maybe O’Hoppe immediately became the missing piece in a trade for Hoerner or Rodgers or who knows. Maybe they viewed them as a tandem with Contreras eventually getting more 1B work or DH work if Ohtani left.

I’d hope they’re bidding with just about any quality name on the market.

Edited by totdprods

9 minutes ago, Angels_Make_Me_Drink said:

The Dodgers are preserving payroll to extend their talent and make a run @ Ohtani. 

Based on the comment from Perry it seems like he's finally going to be able to build something competitive and he knows he's going to do everything he can to make a winner. 

Don't really think Ohtani will leave now. Look at Judge. Aside from money, Ohtani could become a legacy thing for the Angels. All depends who the new owner is.