• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2022-23 Offseason Hot Stove Thread

mmc

2 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I'm curious - it seemed like most were not too eager to sign Swanson when all the SS options were being discussed.  If it turns out that is indeed Perry's target, and he signs something like a 6/150 deal (25mil AAV) - will people here be excited or disappointed?

In that scenario, Id rather give that to someone like Nimmo and then trade Ward+ for a SS. 

If no other moves are possible, id be fine with it.

2 hours ago, TempeAngel said:

I just think it's BS that some of us Angels fans want to discount the Dodgers WS win. Every team played by the same rules. 

Now what about in regards to past WS winning teams?

Imagine winning a marathon the year it was only 6 miles.

The Angels this past year had one of the best records in baseball after the first 50 games...

2 hours ago, TempeAngel said:

I just think it's BS that some of us Angels fans want to discount the Dodgers WS win. Every team played by the same rules. 

Now what about in regards to past WS winning teams?

Imagine winning a marathon the year it was only 6 miles.

The Angels this past year had one of the best records in baseball after the first 50 games...

39 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I'm curious - it seemed like most were not too eager to sign Swanson when all the SS options were being discussed.  If it turns out that is indeed Perry's target, and he signs something like a 6/150 deal (25mil AAV) - will people here be excited or disappointed?

I’d be excited, especially if we could hold on to existing ML players, add without subtracting.  If this happened, Swanson will play almost every game if healthy.  I’d like to keep Fletcher and Rengifo both.  

Edited by Revad
E

Andrus would just be an insult after such clear targeting of a SS and all the speak of needing to upgrade SS as a priority with no budget restraint. Plus there was such a big class of stellar SS’s.  It would be more than the perennial angle fan letdown, it would be a smack in the face because we’d arguably be the same with the internal options and platooning.

at least my grumpy ass would take it that way lol

The Judge deal won't age well. There always is a personal drop off after a major record is set. But he should still give them a few quality seasons. But that's how the market is now and the Yankees had extra fan pressure to keep their latest hero. Especially coming off a historic season. Possibly a preview of the Angels/Ohtani scenario. Imagine if Ohtani again has an MVP/Cy Young season? Probably a 45 - 50 million per range with multiple teams competing. 

Regarding the Dodgers 60 game Series win. They survived the circumstances and won, but it was more like a self contained tournament. All the normal baseball dynamics about pitching rotations and roster deployment were skewered.  And historically it will be immediately dismissed as an anomaly. 

Historically the toughest era to win were the 1961 (AL) 1962 (NL) - 1968 years. Ten teams each league, only pennant winners playing post season. With the Angels and Astros expansion teams diluting the depth of talent,  the quality of competition was a bit less than in the traditional eight team leagues. But that decade saw some really good teams never make the post season. 

The 1961 Yankees were probably the best in those years. I actually have a few audio files of their games, including one with the expansion Angels. And don't forget about 1968, the 'year of the pitcher.' Talk about pitching, speed and defense.

I have an old PC game called Baseball Manager,that let's you make your own changes, trades and so on if desired. And where you can replay any year in history. Quite a way to get the feel of what the game was like at any given time. 

3 minutes ago, Duren, Duren said:

The Judge deal won't age well. There always is a personal drop off after a major record is set. But he should still give them a few quality seasons. But that's how the market is now and the Yankees had extra fan pressure to keep their latest hero. Especially coming off a historic season. Possibly a preview of the Angels/Ohtani scenario. Imagine if Ohtani again has an MVP/Cy Young season? Probably a 45 - 50 million per range with multiple teams competing. 

Regarding the Dodgers 60 game Series win. They survived the circumstances and won, but it was more like a self contained tournament. All the normal baseball dynamics about pitching rotations and roster deployment were skewered.  And historically it will be immediately dismissed as an anomaly. 

Historically the toughest era to win were the 1961 (AL) 1962 (NL) - 1968 years. Ten teams each league, only pennant winners playing post season. With the Angels and Astros expansion teams diluting the depth of talent,  the quality of competition was a bit less than in the traditional eight team leagues. But that decade saw some really good teams never make the post season. 

The 1961 Yankees were probably the best in those years. I actually have a few audio files of their games, including one with the expansion Angels. And don't forget about 1968, the 'year of the pitcher.' Talk about pitching, speed and defense.

I have an old PC game called Baseball Manager,that let's you make your own changes, trades and so on if desired. And where you can replay any year in history. Quite a way to get the feel of what the game was like at any given time. 

Sure, but if they win 1 World Series in the next 9 years then i'm sure it'd age just fine. 

3 hours ago, TempeAngel said:

I just think it's BS that some of us Angels fans want to discount the Dodgers WS win. Every team played by the same rules. Get over it.

In a 60 game season all it would take is a 3 week slump and a team may not even make the playoffs. Over 162 games it's likely the best teams are playing in October.

And it also allowed the Marlins to actually make the post-season.

Lugo makes sense as being in a 6-man gives him a chance to stretch out to a starter a little more comfortably, like Lorenzen. I imagine he’d also be a one-year deal so he could potentially re-enter market after a year of starting and hope for bigger money. Comes down to whether or not someone is offering him more already either to relieve or multi-year.

Edited by totdprods