• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2022-23 Offseason Hot Stove Thread

mmc

2 hours ago, CanadianHalo said:

I think it was Contreras or bust as far as upgrading catcher went. I’ve wanted Contreras for years. I floated out the idea of flipping Fletch for Contreras when his value was really high.

Perry saw an opportunity here and took his shot. It’s a damn shame he missed. I’m really encouraged to hear that he tried though. Whenever you can get the type of offensive production at the plate from the catcher position that Contreras brings it’s a HUGE plus. It would’ve done a lot overall for this lineup. 

My perfect offseason would’ve been Contreras, Bassit and Abreu. All in that 3-5 year range at 17-20 per.

Like I said, I’m not sure where you pivot to from here. We need a lot more than a Carlos Correa if we’re going to make a run at the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

Again, it’s probably that they liked the player and decided to place a semi-competitive bid. If it worked out - great! Worry about the ramifications after the fact. Maybe O’Hoppe immediately became the missing piece in a trade for Hoerner or Rodgers or who knows. Maybe they viewed them as a tandem with Contreras eventually getting more 1B work or DH work if Ohtani left.

I’d hope they’re bidding with just about any quality name on the market.

I hear what you are both saying and largely agree with it, but notably, he did seem to pursue McCann the other year too.  So it seems, perhaps, he is keeping an eye out for certain catchers.  Not sure, but it's just interesting to note.

10 hours ago, ukyah said:

having said that, what if you could get tatis from the padres for a doable trade? would you do it?

My best friend is a Padres fan and they are fed up with Tatis and his yearly problems. He shows no maturity or accountability and why should he, his contract is guaranteed and there is nothing the club can do about it. 

Let's put it this way, Machado thinks he's a douche. So, do you really want 12 more years of that? 

31 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Based on the comment from Perry it seems like he's finally going to be able to build something competitive and he knows he's going to do everything he can to make a winner. 

Don't really think Ohtani will leave now. Look at Judge. Aside from money, Ohtani could become a legacy thing for the Angels. All depends who the new owner is. 

Man, I really hope so.  I think Ohtani is loyal, but I think a lot of his future will be dictated by how the team does this year.  If we post another non-winning season, he might very well take off, even if we submit the highest offer.

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

Again, it’s probably that they liked the player and decided to place a semi-competitive bid. If it worked out - great! Worry about the ramifications after the fact. Maybe O’Hoppe immediately became the missing piece in a trade for Hoerner or Rodgers or who knows. Maybe they viewed them as a tandem with Contreras eventually getting more 1B work or DH work if Ohtani left.

I’d hope they’re bidding with just about any quality name on the market.

3 hours ago, CanadianHalo said:

I think it was Contreras or bust as far as upgrading catcher went. I’ve wanted Contreras for years. I floated out the idea of flipping Fletch for Contreras when his value was really high.

Perry saw an opportunity here and took his shot. It’s a damn shame he missed. I’m really encouraged to hear that he tried though. Whenever you can get the type of offensive production at the plate from the catcher position that Contreras brings it’s a HUGE plus. It would’ve done a lot overall for this lineup. 

My perfect offseason would’ve been Contreras, Bassit and Abreu. All in that 3-5 year range at 17-20 per.

Like I said, I’m not sure where you pivot to from here. We need a lot more than a Carlos Correa if we’re going to make a run at the playoffs. 

I don't have a problem with these thoughts but I guess my question is, do we have other needs more pressing than catcher that we need to fit in to the budget (whatever the budget is)?  I guess Perry could have signed Contreras and moved Stassi, kept O'Hoppe and still made a trade for a SS that wasn't a budget killer.....Dunno.....

25 minutes ago, DMVol said:

I don't have a problem with these thoughts but I guess my question is, do we have other needs more pressing than catcher that we need to fit in to the budget (whatever the budget is)?  I guess Perry could have signed Contreras and moved Stassi, kept O'Hoppe and still made a trade for a SS that wasn't a budget killer.....Dunno.....

I think the value was simply too good to ignore. Look at the contract these shortstops are getting. I’ll gladly take Contreras at 1/3 of the cost. Plus he’d be a massive upgrade over what we have. 

I think Contreras was just a move Perry saw a ton of value in. From a cost perspective and roster perspective. 

I think Perry is keeping all options open and whenever there’s value he’s going to explore it. After thinking this through I have a tough time believing he’ll be pursuing Correa. Which is why I always thought if we ended up with 1 of the 4 shortstops it would be Swanson. However, Xander contract might have Swanson thinking bigger now

8 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

I think the value was simply too good to ignore. Look at the contract these shortstops are getting. I’ll gladly take Contreras at 1/3 of the cost. Plus he’d be a massive upgrade over what we have. 

I think Contreras was just a move Perry saw a ton of value in. From a cost perspective and roster perspective. 

I think Perry is keeping all options open and whenever there’s value he’s going to explore it. After thinking this through I have a tough time believing he’ll be pursuing Correa. Which is why I always thought if we ended up with 1 of the 4 shortstops it would be Swanson. However, Xander contract might have Swanson thinking bigger now

I agree. Nimmo and benintendi still out there. If it drags on I can see him snagging one. 

58 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Maybe if we signed Contreras, they could have done a salary swap of Stassi to St. Louis for DeJong.

I would think O’Hoppe would’ve either been kept, or immediately been used in a trade for Hoerner, Rosario, Rodgers…

Keep in mind the other side of this - demand for young catching. Maybe Perry was noticing a sky-high asking price for Sean Murphy and thought there was opportunity to swoop in, take Contreras, and take advantage of a good market to move O’Hoppe for another need. Young catching is a premium. I know that’s counterintuitive, but if you just locked up Contreras and thought high enough of Queen (or Stassi as a long-term back-up), it makes perfect sense to see what O’Hoppe could command if it’s an inflated market for catching return.

Edited by totdprods

21 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Where would they play, though?  Unless you are thinking we would trade Ward perhaps?

Those things always work themselves out.

After hearing Nevin comment on Adell being rushed I wouldn’t be surprised if they just told him to go get settled in AAA all year with a plan

Trout will miss time it’s inevitable. Good chance Ward does too. 

If there’s value to be had you jump on it. Renfroe is a FA after this season. Adell or Moniak are far from sure things.

Ward was one of our best players, it would be a disservice to him, IMO, to make him a depth piece.  He had that rough patch in the middle, possibly due to injuries, but he was fantastic to start and end the year.

I agree with this. But what does he project as? I honestly don't know.

But like Walsh the year before, I don't remember either of the two ever being highly regarded prospects. Should we expect them to actually be good players? Or did we get lucky for a little bit? And again, I obviously don't know.

But I do think counting on both together is probably a bad idea. 

Ward was one of our best players, it would be a disservice to him, IMO, to make him a depth piece.  He had that rough patch in the middle, possibly due to injuries, but he was fantastic to start and end the year.

I agree with this. But what does he project as? I honestly don't know.

But like Walsh the year before, I don't remember either of the two ever being highly regarded prospects. Should we expect them to actually be good players? Or did we get lucky for a little bit? And again, I obviously don't know.

But I do think counting on both together is probably a bad idea. 

10 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

Those things always work themselves out.

After hearing Nevin comment on Adell being rushed I wouldn’t be surprised if they just told him to go get settled in AAA all year with a plan

Trout will miss time it’s inevitable. Good chance Ward does too. 

If there’s value to be had you jump on it. Renfroe is a FA after this season. Adell or Moniak are far from sure things.

I agree with the general idea of depth, but I think ideally one of these OFers would need to be more of a Chris Taylor type player that can literally play all over.  Maybe Ward can play at 1B and 3B a bit?  There would be some redundancy with Urshela, but that’s okay.

I’m all for Nimmo as an acquisition in that I think we really need his offense on this team.  But I kind of assumed that ship sailed after the Renfroe acquisition.  I’m also assuming Nimmo probably wants to play CF.

9 hours ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Based on the comment from Perry it seems like he's finally going to be able to build something competitive and he knows he's going to do everything he can to make a winner. 

Don't really think Ohtani will leave now. Look at Judge. Aside from money, Ohtani could become a legacy thing for the Angels. All depends who the new owner is. 

I hope you’re right, and I do believe it. However, unless we lock Ohtani up before next off season, it won’t stop the Dodgers from making a big run. 

My hope is that all parties interested in buying have had talks with Arte and Perry and are ok with them spending to improve this team. We have to make a big jump next year. 

9 hours ago, Blarg said:

My best friend is a Padres fan and they are fed up with Tatis and his yearly problems. He shows no maturity or accountability and why should he, his contract is guaranteed and there is nothing the club can do about it. 

Let's put it this way, Machado thinks he's a douche. So, do you really want 12 more years of that? 

I married into a Padres family and have this become a fan myself. And that's partially true. Tatis pisses us off to no end, and even Manny, Mr. Immaturity himself gets pissed at him from time to time.

Having said that, when you go to a game, there's still Tatis jerseys everywhere, and he's still mentioned in the same breath as his like Soto, Acuna, Guerrero and Bichette. And he also hasn't become the villain in the same way someone like A-Rod did. He's more just young and stupid, than anything.