• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2022-23 Offseason Hot Stove Thread

mmc

46 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Houston, Dodgers, Padres, Mets, Phillies, Yankees, Mariners, Braves

Theres 8. Plus teams that upgrade throughout the season. 

You do realize i said its getting there not that its there now. 

While there will always be a handful of teams not in a position to compete, it should not be half the league. Those owners should look to sale at this point if they can keep up. I would if I were them. 

If the Mets are serious about Senga, that could potentially take them out of Bassit and Evolidi.

I'm perfectly fine with not getting SS, I'd rather focus on the BP and maybe add a starter. 

on that note, At the moment Gio looks like the Starting 2b, while Rengifo at ss. I would not mind bring in some like Longoria to Backup 3rd and 1st, if he doesn't get a starting offer.  

24 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

If the Mets are serious about Senga, that could potentially take them out of Bassit and Evolidi.

I'm perfectly fine with not getting SS, I'd rather focus on the BP and maybe add a starter. 

on that note, At the moment Gio looks like the Starting 2b, while Rengifo at ss. I would not mind bring in some like Longoria to Backup 3rd and 1st, if he doesn't get a starting offer.  

I agree, not a big fan of Swanson as he strikeouts at high rate. Commitment will be 5 to 6 years. Correa will be over 300 mill. Gio is same as Longoria so I stay away from him. Yes, another SP and BP help. 

32 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Urshela is already earmarked for that exact role.  Roster construction usually priorities flexibility and options - having two guys essentially serving the same role (3B/1B backup) is suboptimal.

This team, instead, needs another middle infielder.  Ideally a starter at SS, but worst case would be someone who can capably backup the two positions.  Starting the season with either Velazquez or Soto *REQUIRED* to be on the roster is rather suboptimal.

1 hour ago, mmc said:

With the way things are shaping up, he probably could

For pitcher with arm issues in past I would stay away from that type of deal. Bassitt will want 5 years now. This is why Angels should keep all the starters they have this year. Let younger pitcher develop in minors. Money insane this off season. Dodgers seem to be sitting out that may be one of the reasons.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/12/angels-pursued-willson-contreras-prior-to-cardinals-deal.html

Snippet:

We don’t know exactly how much the Angels were willing to spend on Contreras, but something in this vicinity would have gotten them close to luxury tax territory. Assuming the Angels still have that money to spend on other players, it’s a good sign for Angel fans.

4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

The Dodgers resetting the luxury tax, even though their ownership group is probably 2nd to the Mets in value and they bring in the most revenue in baseball.  Their TV contract is $300 million annually.  

Dodgers have done very little so far. Waiting to see outcome of Bauer arbitration. 

44 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/12/angels-pursued-willson-contreras-prior-to-cardinals-deal.html

Snippet:

We don’t know exactly how much the Angels were willing to spend on Contreras, but something in this vicinity would have gotten them close to luxury tax territory. Assuming the Angels still have that money to spend on other players, it’s a good sign for Angel fans.

I’m in agreement that 11 years is absurd (and the teams know it) but I think the landscape has changed and you can no longer look at the years as much as you can total commitment. 

By tacking on more years teams are significantly reducing the luxury tax they pay on the total contract and therefore narrowing the gap between the cost of a shorter commitment.

I’d say it’s reasonable to think star players will give your team decent production/value for 5-6 years. 

If you offered Xander Boegarts 8 years and 250MM you are putting forth a competitive bid and the cost of getting him is expecting you will pay for 2 bad but hopefully not worthless seasons at the end. But, now your luxury tax number is 6.25MM a year higher and you can tack on another few million to his cost for the tax you’ll pay as a team with a payroll above the limit.  It’s also going to make future contracts more difficult if you ever try to get back under the threshold.

By giving him three extra years you’ve gained the right to him in those declining years as a gamble where he may at least give you some value. It might cost 10MM plus per WAR in the near future and if he’s even a 1 WAR player for those last years it’s not a total loss. But, even if you have to release him you can view those extra 30 - 40MM you spent on him with more years tacked on as a deferred and interest free signing bonus. A bonus which has saved you anywhere from 3-15MM over the course of the 11 years (dependent on how long and which level you run you payroll above the limit) on luxury tax payments. 

We can all agree on the ridiculous lengths to these contracts but obviously the reasons behind them have been well thought out by the Management and Owners. The gamble is they turn out like Pujols and they decline sharply in years 1 or 2. 

And if you think baseball contracts are absurd have you seen Ronaldo’s new soccer contract of around $200MM PER YEAR!