• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Holy Hell, Trevor Bauer!

Chuck

1 hour ago, eligrba said:

Roseenthal predicts Bauer signs with Los Angeles..........

https://dodgersway.com/2020/12/10/dodgers-rumors-trevor-bauer-free-agency-ken-rosenthal/

Dodgers

To be fair, he said it was just a guess.  Don't think it's based on any inside information that he has.  He also said he doesn't expect the Dodgers to spend that much money this offseason, so not really sure how the math works out there.

Dodgers have played it safe for years. If they were gonna go for it, don't know why they didn't have the biggest bid on Cole, who was a safer option than Bauer. Now that they've just won the WS? They have zero reason to make risky moves unless they feel really confident the risk is lower than appears on the surface. I just don't see it. Mets? Sure. Probably a few other teams also. 

Mets make sense because Cohen has stupid money to spend. How far they actually will go remains to be seen. Padres are possible, although they've been conservative to date and may not be eager to spend that much. White Sox have already gone out and gotten Lance Lynn. Braves picked up Charlie Morton. Couple of dark horse picks I'd throw out there: Giants and Red Sox.

I think the Angels have as big a need as anyone, but I don't know how strong Arte feels about Bauer or how much he's willing to spend this offseason. So I get why a lot of teams are picking the Angels - they make probably the most sense on paper (and I guarantee that at least some in the Angels org are aware of the big time social media push by Angels fans for Bauer), but that doesn't mean anything if say, Cohen, or Henry decides to go big.

I'm not opposed to signing Bauer. I'm opposed to signing Bauer for more than 30 million a year across 6+ years, particularly when Sonny Gray, Blake Snell and Yu Darvish are available on the trade market, and Odorizzi and Musgrove can be had affordably as complimentary pieces. 

I'll be ecstatic if Bauer is an Angel at 5/125, but I know that's just not in the cards. It'll probably run you at least 6/180. That kind of deal cripples a teams ability to extend high quality players or sign high quality free agents for years to come. Angels fans know that better than anyone, I think. GMJ, Pujols, Hamilton, Weaver, Wilson, Wells...

The Angels already have to hope and pray Trout and Rendon age well. I wouldn't want Bauer to up that gamble.

14 minutes ago, Stradling said:

A lot of people are thinking Bauer gets $30 million a year.   I just don’t see it.  

Me either. 

I don't know who he is. Is he a guy who has finally figured it out or a guy who was good over a short period of time, who is cashing in?

There are very few pitchers who are "sure things" and I'm not convinced he is one of them. 

Do I want him on the Angels? Yes, because he's an upgrade - but I'm not in the "Bauer or bust" camp.

21 minutes ago, Fourts said:

I don’t mind the $30m annual salary to Bauer....it’s he amount of years thats a concern. It was same problem/concern I had with Cole.  If we sign Bauer, my first reaction will be “how many years?” 

Bauer admittedly doesn't like long year deals. He initially wanted 1yr deals so I'd 5yrs would be an absolute max. I think he honestly gets 3-4 years.

39 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Bauer admittedly doesn't like long year deals. He initially wanted 1yr deals so I'd 5yrs would be an absolute max. I think he honestly gets 3-4 years.

He wanted 1 year to avoid getting a paintball gunshot to the nuts. If he's over the one year idea, he'll want to max out (although I could see an opt out). 

2 hours ago, nando714 said:

You wanna give Bauer 30m/ yr 

But couldn’t give Cole 36m/ yr 

bauer just isn’t worth it 

Are you touched?

Cole's contract is for 9 years at $36 million per year. He will be 38 years old when it ends. 

Tell us now about the affordability of player A over B when A is talking about a five year deal. 

3 hours ago, Stradling said:

A lot of people are thinking Bauer gets $30 million a year.   I just don’t see it.  I don’t think the market supports that.  My guess is he’s about $24-26 million for about 6 years. 

Hope you're right.  I think it's either 4/120 or 6/150.  I keep going back and forth as the guy is a wild card.  Most free agents will absolutely take the money.  He might end up being the same but with Bauer I think there's at least a chance he doesn't take the most money and goes where he really wants to be.  Maybe they're all the same and he's full of shit or he's handed a deal that's just too good to pass on.  And frankly, I don't know whether that helps or hurts the Angels.  

He's certainly made things interesting and I've fallen into the old hope trap.  Dammit!  I hate when I do that.  

4 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Hope you're right.  I think it's either 4/120 or 6/150.  I keep going back and forth as the guy is a wild card.  Most free agents will absolutely take the money.  He might end up being the same but with Bauer I think there's at least a chance he doesn't take the most money and goes where he really wants to be.  Maybe they're all the same and he's full of shit or he's handed a deal that's just too good to pass on.  And frankly, I don't know whether that helps or hurts the Angels.  

He's certainly made things interesting and I've fallen into the old hope trap.  Dammit!  I hate when I do that.  

If Arte is willing to spend above the luxury tax level for one year, I'd opt for 4/120.  Bauer had a great year, but his track record is not nearly as impressive as Cole's, so I don't see him remotely approaching Cole's deal.  And, of course, he's a free agent in likely the worst free agency year ever in terms of financials, so he has that working against him, too.

I've mentioned before, but I'd sign Bauer (4/120?), trade Adell for a good catching prospect + backend SP type, and basically go from there.  We can fill the rest of the bullpen cheaply with some good arms, and we can probably find a platoon LHH OF fairly cheaply too.  

Bauer, Bundy, Heaney, Canning, Barria, Ohtani* should form a pretty good pitching core.  Sandoval can kick over to the pen, which would give us a strong five of Iglesias, Mayers, Pena, Buttrey, Sandoval, along with Rivera who will basically be a mop-up guy.  Reyes holds a lot of promise and can quickly become another strong relief option.  We'd just need one to two more under-the-radar bullpen signings.

19 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

And, of course, he's a free agent in likely the worst free agency year ever in terms of financials, so he has that working against him, too

This is one reason to be looking at one-year deals.