• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Holy Hell, Trevor Bauer!

Chuck

im 100% all in on this idea, BUT... Arte would have to be willing to blow the budget to hell for a year till Alberts moves upstairs or wherever they plan to do with him post baseball.
WE have other needs, to fill them AND sign him doesnt fit in 30M
Now if Arte wants to go 50. maybe 60, knowing that 30+ drops off before it becomes a tax issue, its doable. 

1 hour ago, floplag said:

im 100% all in on this idea, BUT... Arte would have to be willing to blow the budget to hell for a year till Alberts moves upstairs or wherever they plan to do with him post baseball.
WE have other needs, to fill them AND sign him doesnt fit in 30M
Now if Arte wants to go 50. maybe 60, knowing that 30+ drops off before it becomes a tax issue, its doable. 

it wouldn't be for just one year.  Getting Bauer now eats a huge chunk of whatever we can spend for the next several years.  If he wants the team to be competitive for more than 1 year, he's gonna have to increase payroll for at least 3 years and maybe 4 or trade significant capital from the farm system.  

the other option is to do a little bit of each and hover around that 86-90 win threshold.  Which would be a shame in my opinion considering that the division is pretty wide open and should be for the next 3-4 year span.  

7 hours ago, Dochalo said:

it wouldn't be for just one year.  Getting Bauer now eats a huge chunk of whatever we can spend for the next several years.  If he wants the team to be competitive for more than 1 year, he's gonna have to increase payroll for at least 3 years and maybe 4 or trade significant capital from the farm system.  

the other option is to do a little bit of each and hover around that 86-90 win threshold.  Which would be a shame in my opinion considering that the division is pretty wide open and should be for the next 3-4 year span.  

Fair point and probably true, just pointing out that in theory, Pujols balances the overages and if the gaps are in fact filled it may not be as bad tax wise and the results might justify it.
As you say, now is the time to strike, if winning is the true goal, then it should be worth it. 

8 hours ago, Dochalo said:

he other option is to do a little bit of each and hover around that 86-90 win threshold.  Which would be a shame in my opinion considering that the division is pretty wide open and should be for the next 3-4 year span.  

I am becoming more convinced that Arte and company should be a focused buyer this off-season rather than a trader.  The free agent market conditions are unlike any other time in history.  I don't think the Angels will get a deal considered "great" this off-season, but I suspect in a couple of years the contracts signed this off-season will be looked upon as "club friendly" when considering the talent and production.

3 hours ago, eligrba said:

I am becoming more convinced that Arte and company should be a focused buyer this off-season rather than a trader.  The free agent market conditions are unlike any other time in history.  I don't think the Angels will get a deal considered "great" this off-season, but I suspect in a couple of years the contracts signed this off-season will be looked upon as "club friendly" when considering the talent and production.

Well - consider, some teams are looking to desperately unload salary, which means that we can acquire some very good players for very little, too.  I think a buyer can leverage both free agency and the trade market to find what they're looking for this offseason at relatively good value.

3 hours ago, eligrba said:

trade or FA.  There are deals to be had if you're willing to spend.  Trades can happen more quickly and don't rely on the deliberation process of a free agent.  

4 minutes ago, ScottT said:

I watched a minute of that video, then skipped ahead and heard him talking about star wars.

I wasn't entertained, interested, o amused... 

I am fascinated that some people are, though.

It’s because of how cool you are, isn’t it?