• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

THE Official 2019-2020 Hot Stove Thread

T.G.

2 minutes ago, Second Base said:

That's ultimately why I am concerned as well. Next season, assuming there's some regression to the mean in regards to health, the Angels are likely a 78 win team (around that). 

Gerrit Cole alone, likely makes them at 84 win team, which is great, but it won't make the Angels even a contender. More just a middling team.  

Quite literally, this team needs Cole AND Strasburg just to get back to 90 wins. Obviously, there probably isn't enough money for that. But getting someone like Ryu and Cole, as well as a starting catcher like Castro puts the Angels in that 90 win range. 

But if Cole costs more than 35 million a year, it's going to be incredibly difficult to pull that off. They'll need to seriously backload some contracts.

There are a lot of negative war innings to be eaten up as well. If Cole is a 6 win pitcher he easily adds 8 wins to the standings over last year. Getting Bundy covers a lot of negative war innings as well. These guys will be more than the sum of their parts.

37 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Assisting with this post. Post.  POST.

So, if the Angels land Cole (which sounds likely given leaks like this) you are looking at:

Cole

Ohtani

Heaney

Canning

Bundy

followed by:

Barria

Sandoval

Peters

Suarez

Pena

Get one more in there and you can have a 6 man rotation/swing man to account for Ohtani's once a week starts and keeping the innings low for Canning.

4 minutes ago, Second Base said:

As long as Bundy isn't the "second pitcher" Eppler was talking about, we are going to be fine. 

Cole, Ohtani, Bundy, Heaney and Canning isn't good enough.

Cole, Ryu, Ohtani, Canning, Bundy and Heaney is. 

Cole, Ohtani, Miley, Bundy, Canning and Heaney..... Borderline. Probably not.

I think you better be prepared for:

Cole, Ohtani, Bundy, Teheran (or someone like him), Canning and Heaney

12 minutes ago, Second Base said:

As long as Bundy isn't the "second pitcher" Eppler was talking about, we are going to be fine. 

Cole, Ohtani, Bundy, Heaney and Canning isn't good enough.

Cole, Ryu, Ohtani, Canning, Bundy and Heaney is. 

Cole, Ohtani, Miley, Bundy, Canning and Heaney..... Borderline. Probably not.

The fact we were in (apparently) on Wheeler and heavy favorites to land Cole sounds promising that Bundy might be the 3rd get and not 2nd.

Given the fact Bundy is scheduled to make about 5.7 million this season it gives me hope that this move wasn’t made because they lost out on Wheeler

5 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

I completely agree.  It may not be the best rotation in the league, but it would be pretty damn good and a huge improvement over last season.

ANYTHING is an improvement over last season. I don't care about improvement, I care about making the playoffs. If it's Bundy and Teheran rounding out the rotation.... Why would that inspire more confidence that Harvey and Cahill? 

11 minutes ago, Second Base said:

ANYTHING is an improvement over last season. I don't care about improvement, I care about making the playoffs. If it's Bundy and Teheran rounding out the rotation.... Why would that inspire more confidence that Harvey and Cahill? 

Because we have Cole and Ohtani fronting the rotation?

19 minutes ago, Second Base said:

First, because we are assuming we will have Cole as the ace of the staff.  Second, Ohtani is back.  Third, Bundy and Teheran are way better than Harvey and Cahill.

14 minutes ago, floplag said:

Im going to guess more like:
Cole
Kuechel/Teheran
Ohtani
Heaney
Bundy
Canning
Which will stil be miles ahead of last year especially if we add a bat to go along with it, or two 🙂 (see Cubs trade)

I agree. It definitely is putting a lot of confidence and pressure on ohtani. 

21 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

First, because we are assuming we will have Cole as the ace of the staff.  Second, Ohtani is back.  Third, Bundy and Teheran are way better than Harvey and Cahill.

No....not really. 

Look at Harvey and Cahill's 2018 numbers, and you'll see what we expected from them in 2019. 

Bundy and Teheran, their numbers are significantly worse in 2019 than Harvey-Cahill in 2018. So if they regress, at all.... And pretty much every major free agent target has regressed upon coming to Anaheim, then Bundy and Teharan may end up being worse than Harvey and Cahill.

This team needs more than Bundy and Teheran. A LOT more. Cole is a start, but replace Teheran with a Ryu, or Gray, then you'll be in business.

17 minutes ago, Second Base said:

No....not really. 

Look at Harvey and Cahill's 2018 numbers, and you'll see what we expected from them in 2019. 

Bundy and Teheran, their numbers are significantly worse in 2019 than Harvey-Cahill in 2018. So if they regress, at all.... And pretty much every major free agent target has regressed upon coming to Anaheim, then Bundy and Teharan may end up being worse than Harvey and Cahill.

This team needs more than Bundy and Teheran. A LOT more. Cole is a start, but replace Teheran with a Ryu, or Gray, then you'll be in business.

Well good thing Bundy isn’t a major free agent target. He was traded for. Bundy will be much improved with a better organization, players and coaching staff around him. 

1 hour ago, Erstad Grit said:

1. Cole/Stras

2. Ryu/Madbum

3. Ohtani

4. Heaney

5. Bundy

6. Canning

I'd love this

A top 5 rotation for sure.  And having Sandoval, Barria, Sandoval as depth makes it all the better.  Pena can be converted back to the pen to help strengthen us on that front, too.

6:27
Do I move forward on Maldonado or Castro.

Connor Byrne
6:27
Angels GM Billy Eppler should try for Jason Castro, the best catcher left on the market
6:36
How risky is our Dylan Bundy trade? Will we beat the Yanks to signing Cole?

Connor Byrne
6:37
I like the Bundy trade for both sides. He's at least an OK innings eater (and an affordable one at that), which the Angels needed toward the back of their rotation. Of course, they MUST land a front-line type as well. I still think they'll get Cole.

6:53
We get those trash cans out of Astro dugout we win west next year, right Connor?

Connor Byrne
6:53
Maybe if the Angels get Cole/Strasburg, but even then, the Astros and A's will be extremely tough to jump