• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Joe Maddon and LA Angels agree to three-year deal to become next manager

rafibomb

1 hour ago, krAbs said:

The top reply to the /r/baseball reddit thread on it is a joke:
"Update: Mike Trout now bats 9th"
"And left-handed because that decreases your time to 1st base"

Obviously a joke, but the point is, Maddon likes to play as hard as he can to statistics and to what spreadsheets say. I believe he was the first manager to heavily employ the shift, for example. Often it works out, and especially often it works out over a large enough sample size. But when he does something that goes against baseball "common sense" and it doesn't work out...That's the kind of thing that pisses a fan off.

Edit - don't get me wrong, I'm SUPER excited about him, and I think he's the guy who can lead us to the next level. But, he seems like the kind of guy who makes choices that really rub a certain kind of fan the wrong way, and I think we have a lot of that certain kind of fan here. I expect a lot of head-scratching bullpen choices that will lead to a lot of "Fire Joe!" threads.

Kind of like the shift the Nats put on Ozuna last night and he delivered the base hit to where the 2nd baseman would had been playing normally? When Doolittle was pitching...8th inning 2 outs? No one on base should had been playing him straight away.

I'm also happy and excited that Joe Maddon came home.

What I like about this hire is that it injects some optimism into the organization.  That being said, it needs to be more than just a cool story. 

Today is a good day.  Angel fans needed a day like today, but it's just the first step.

And to those out there who continue to question Arte's competitive fire and desire to win - FU, with all due respect.

2 hours ago, Lou said:

he should switch to the Optigrab 

giphy (9).gif

A friend of mine visited the set for this movie - the gas station was a closed station they had set back up.  They also had put up some ungodly amount that they were charging for gas like $3.50 a gallon (gas then was around $0.80) and some lady came up the station and was pissed that no one would pump her gas.  She also wouldn't believe it was a movie set.

The Angels have a list of things they need to accomplish in order to win in 2020...

1. Hire a really good manager with the knowledge on how to build a winner on the field, in the clubhouse and in the farm system.

2. Hire a really good pitching coach to guide all the young arms the Angels have.

3. Get an ace starting pitcher that can match up with anybody and throw 180 innings plus each year.

4. Get a mid rotation starter that you can count on for 180 innings a year.

5. Get a good catcher that will help guide or young and unsure pitchers through in game obstacles.

6. Get a captain among starting pitchers. Someone that is a leader in the clubhouse. This could be the ace, the mid rotation starter or it could be someone that pictures at the backend. But we need a veteran the players can turn to.

----------

Signing Joe Maddon is the perfect first step.

6 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Premium Memberships are for those who have paid either a one-year or lifetime ad-free subscription. 

Gold Memberships are for those who have contributed their time or donated to the website in one way or another. They see just our basic, non-intrusive advertisements (no videos, pop-ups, etc.)

It seems like Jeff Fletcher should have a Gold Membership.