• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Joe Maddon and LA Angels agree to three-year deal to become next manager

rafibomb

2 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

this is a common misconception for both Scioscia and Maddon.  They both use numbers a fair amount.  It's what guided their 'instinct'.  All good managers do and it's what has made them good managers.  Before advanced metrics were presented to all these guys on an ipad, the numbers were hand written or rolling around in the manager's brain somewhere.  It was their ability to assimilate all that info and turn it into useful info to help win games.  

That's a lot of "words" for Troll Daddy so don't be discouraged if his response is the verbal equivalent of someone falling down the stairs.  He's under the impression that the great managers of yore kept a finger bone Al Spalding in their pocket for good luck and that they would regularly commune with the infield dirt for who to start that afternoon.

13 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

Why?

The top reply to the /r/baseball reddit thread on it is a joke:
"Update: Mike Trout now bats 9th"
"And left-handed because that decreases your time to 1st base"

Obviously a joke, but the point is, Maddon likes to play as hard as he can to statistics and to what spreadsheets say. I believe he was the first manager to heavily employ the shift, for example. Often it works out, and especially often it works out over a large enough sample size. But when he does something that goes against baseball "common sense" and it doesn't work out...That's the kind of thing that pisses a fan off.

Edit - don't get me wrong, I'm SUPER excited about him, and I think he's the guy who can lead us to the next level. But, he seems like the kind of guy who makes choices that really rub a certain kind of fan the wrong way, and I think we have a lot of that certain kind of fan here. I expect a lot of head-scratching bullpen choices that will lead to a lot of "Fire Joe!" threads.

2 hours ago,  krAbs said: 

I'm stoked about this, but I think a lot on here are going to Facking HATE him.

Why?

1.  Because they don't like people who wear black glasses.

2.  Because he doesn't give a crap about what his critics think.

3.  Because he likes Mike Scioscia and Arte Moreno.

4.  Because he likes wine, cigars and parties on yachts.

•