• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Joe Maddon and LA Angels agree to three-year deal to become next manager

rafibomb

3 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

Just Telling you what Rogin and Rodney were saying on my drive home.. They also Said Maddon will have the Same Power as Scioscia had 

And so the narrative begins....

There is a difference between someone giving their opinion and stating the facts....

Edited by True Grich

2 hours ago, True Grich said:

What I like about this hire is that it injects some optimism into the organization.  That being said, it needs to be more than just a cool story. 

Today is a good day.  Angel fans needed a day like today, but it's just the first step.

And to those out there who continue to question Arte's competitive fire and desire to win - FU, with all due respect.

Presumably his coaches get named next. Should show some insight into his thinking. He basically had a clean slate to fill in who he wants. 

Considering the needs and issues, I am curious how he goes about dealing with the pitching. Who he brings in as pitching coach and bullpen coach. Trusted associates or new people? 

Will he endorse a patient, teaching philosophy or be more demanding of his pitching coach? Clearly no one can create talent when it isn't there, but by fine tuning and  adjustments to mechanics it may be possible to get better results from returning veterans. And obviously more established talent will bolster the starters. 

Also they need a philosophy that differs from last year. Starters have to have their mindset adjusted to expect to pitch longer. Better sequencing and control should be emphasized. More first pitch strikes, more use of the edges of the strike zone. In game, the catcher factors in too. I hope for an upgrade here too.

7 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

I am happy to have Maddon.  May I have one request though?  Can we all ignore and get over the fact that he wears that style of glasses?  No Maddon glasses night, don’t wear Maddon glasses to get on TV, and please Angel announcers, don’t pretend the glasses are interesting as a subject of discussion.

Are you kidding, this is right up Gubi's alley. 

Honestly, I can’t blame Arte for being pissed. I think the main thing saving Eppler thus far is his improvement in the minor league system and bringing on Ohtani. His free agent additions and manager addition have been underwhelming to say the least. But I still think Eppler can turn a corner this off season if he can land the big fish. 

Edited by jordan

21 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Ken Rosenthal is the TJ Simers of whatever outlet Ken Rosenthal reports for.

Or he had insight. Guys been in the baseball industry for what seems like forever. I doubt he just makes stuff up just to make stuff up. It has to come from somewhere. He’s a well respected baseball journalist. 

7 hours ago, ettin said:

Joe might help the pitchers get stronger and not be like glass arms all the time.....

(walking out to the mound) "What's wrong, _______________? (insert name of Angels pitcher clutching his arm on the mound)

"My arm hurts!!!"

"Come on, be a man and suck it up! We're not paying you millions to be a pussy. Just throw the damn ball and you'll feel better. I'm not running a day care operation here!"

15 minutes ago, jordan said:

Honestly, I can’t blame Arte for being pissed. I think the main thing saving Eppler thus far is his improvement in the minor league system and bringing on Ohtani. His free agent additions and manager addition have been underwhelming to say the least. But I still think Eppler can turn a corner this off season if he can land the big fish. 

He’s had no major errors like Pujols, Hamilton, or Wells. His worst was Cozart, and that was mostly covered by insurance since he was on the IL most of his two years so far. The other three pitchers this year were one year deals that caused no long term damage. Stratton was a good pick that apparently was not helped by White, because he went on and flourished elsewhere immediately.  

He resigned Trout, signed Ohtani, acquired quality assets like La Stella, Simmons, Buttrey, Robles, Sandoval, and Rengifo, and built a first class farm system that is already helping the roster despite being an absolute dump when he arrived and having no really high picks any season. 

He hasn’t been perfect, but he’s been pretty close.