• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Joe Maddon and LA Angels agree to three-year deal to become next manager

rafibomb

2 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Did you guys hear Maddon on the radio today. 

He talked about what a good player Zack Cozart is. 

The last Maddon saw Zack Cozart play on a baseball field was when he was on the Reds, a division rival who played his best baseball the season before we signed him. 

3 hours ago, Sean-Regan said:

He’s had no major errors like Pujols, Hamilton, or Wells. His worst was Cozart, and that was mostly covered by insurance since he was on the IL most of his two years so far. The other three pitchers this year were one year deals that caused no long term damage. Stratton was a good pick that apparently was not helped by White, because he went on and flourished elsewhere immediately.  

He resigned Trout, signed Ohtani, acquired quality assets like La Stella, Simmons, Buttrey, Robles, Sandoval, and Rengifo, and built a first class farm system that is already helping the roster despite being an absolute dump when he arrived and having no really high picks any season. 

He hasn’t been perfect, but he’s been pretty close. 

Teams do not take out insurance on every contract.  I really doubt they had a policy on Cozart.

12 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

I am happy to have Maddon.  May I have one request though?  Can we all ignore and get over the fact that he wears that style of glasses?  No Maddon glasses night, don’t wear Maddon glasses to get on TV, and please Angel announcers, don’t pretend the glasses are interesting as a subject of discussion.

All of which will now happen.

13 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Did you guys hear Maddon on the radio today. 

He talked about what a good player Zack Cozart is. 

Well to be fair, Cozart is almost certainly going to be on our roster this year barring a bad contract swap, so he kind of has to play him up a bit?

3 minutes ago, ettin said:

Well to be fair, Cozart is almost certainly going to be on our roster this year barring a bad contract swap, so he kind of has to play him up a bit?

He'll be starting at third base until the end of May when his .140 average will finally force the issue. By that time we'll be a good 10 games out of first place.

4 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

He'll be starting at third base until the end of May when his .140 average will finally force the issue. By that time we'll be a good 10 games out of first place.

Likely true on the first part, maybe a little less so on the middle part and doubtful on the last part but I get what your point was.

2 minutes ago, Mark68 said:

Just saw a blurb in MLBTR (https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/10/quick-hits-maddon-sasaki-red-sox.html) that referenced a Bleacher Report article on what was originally supposed to happen with Maddon in the 90s.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2858435-joe-maddons-long-strange-road-to-becoming-the-angels-manager?share=twitter

"

Meanwhile, a year earlier, a future Hall of Fame manager named Sparky Anderson had just ended a 17-year run with the Detroit Tigers. Sparky was a fixture at Angel Stadium, then called Anaheim Stadium, and a local. His home in Thousand Oaks, California, was just 65 or so miles from Anaheim.

Bavasi's idea: Convince Anderson to add one more chapter to his career. Anderson would manage the Angels for two seasons with Maddon as his bench coach. Maddon's education would continue under one of the grand old legends of the game, and by the time his apprenticeship was finished, Sparky would pass the torch and Joe would be seasoned and ready to take charge.

"I'd known Sparky since I was a kid, and I loved him, loved his work," says Bavasi, who now is senior director for MLB baseball and softball development and works under another former Angels GM, Tony Reagins. "I think at that time in life he could have still been really good."

It was the perfect plan and, quietly, Anderson, then 62, was on board. A lunch was arranged to discuss things further: Anderson, Bavasi and Tony Tavares, the Angels team president.

And then Sparky ordered soup.

As he drew his spoon from the bowl to his mouth, his arm shook and some soup splashed."

I always forget that Sparky Anderson wasn't as old as he looked. I was thinking he was about 98 by the late 90s.

2 hours ago, ettin said:

Exactly. Just like every manager does.

That doesn't stop AW from freaking out when any manager says anything nice about someone you all hate.