• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Joe Maddon and LA Angels agree to three-year deal to become next manager

rafibomb

Just now, tomsred said:
   2 hours ago,  krAbs said: 

I'm stoked about this, but I think a lot on here are going to Facking HATE him.

Why?

1.  Because they don't like people who wear black glasses.

2.  Because he doesn't give a crap about what his critics think.

3.  Because he likes Mike Scioscia and Arte Moreno.

4.  Because he likes wine, cigars and parties on yachts.

•  

Based on that I give him a timeline between 1-3 years to get it done or hes fired.

2 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Premium Memberships are for those who have paid either a one-year or lifetime ad-free subscription. 

Gold Memberships are for those who have contributed their time or donated to the website in one way or another. They see just our basic, non-intrusive advertisements (no videos, pop-ups, etc.)

What if you're like @tdawg87 and you like complicated, intrusive videos and "pop-ups"? 😄

Three years is the right number. Enough time to put his stamp on the team and have them legitimately in the  playoff mix. But that means a no nonsense approach.

He won't be around when new draftees and young prospects are ready to graduate to the big leagues. So trades and free agents are the quickest way to upgrade the roster. As well as coachng the best out of the current nucleus. 

You would think that he sees this as his final managerial job. Possibly it goes longer if everything clicks, but he probably would want to retire after this contract. It would be tremendous motivation to complete the career circle, riding out successfully where he began.

Regarding assistants, he probably has a large pool to draw from. Lots of trust and success in Tampa and Chicago, and a glowing reputation in baseball. I would totally trust his judgment. 

I do wonder though if he is giving thought to his successor? And maybe will bring in someone he sees having upside for that job when he retires. A good idea in theory, allowing for a smoother transition. 

2 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Awesome news. I do think this sets the stage for strong free agent action. Maddon has a great reputation, as far as I can tell. So consider yourself as a free agent: Trout, Ohtani, Simmons playing D, Maddon managing, a strong after-hour party scene.

Um Joe Maddon is our big splash.

About time. 

Also, Maddon isn’t anti-analytics. He was one of the early progressive managers. He’s ahead of Sosh in that regard (although Sosh also wasn’t as backwards as he was portrayed). But he also brings a fantastic culture to the team. Excited he’s here.

And can we quit with the “bring the old game back together bullshit”?

27 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Awesome news. I do think this sets the stage for strong free agent action. Maddon has a great reputation, as far as I can tell. So consider yourself as a free agent: Trout, Ohtani, Simmons playing D, Maddon managing, a strong after-hour party scene.

Dude, AJ.....

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

I am happy to have Maddon.  May I have one request though?  Can we all ignore and get over the fact that he wears that style of glasses?  No Maddon glasses night, don’t wear Maddon glasses to get on TV, and please Angel announcers, don’t pretend the glasses are interesting as a subject of discussion.

Lasagna