• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Joe Maddon and LA Angels agree to three-year deal to become next manager

rafibomb

Anyhow, Maddon will continue to be the oldest manager in MLB at 65, but he's not even closest to oldest ever. I looked up Connie Mack, and man: managed from 1894 to 1950, retiring at age 88. 50 years as the Phillies manager! (Imagine 30 more years of Scioscia for an equivalency).

Jack McKeon managed the Marlins in 2011 at age 80.

55 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Exactly. Just like every manager does.

That doesn't stop AW from freaking out when any manager says anything nice about someone you all hate.

Wait... Did Maddon compliment Justin Bour?  If so, that changes everything.

7 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Anyhow, Maddon will continue to be the oldest manager in MLB at 65, but he's not even closest to oldest ever. I looked up Connie Mack, and man: managed from 1894 to 1950, retiring at age 88. 50 years as the Phillies manager! (Imagine 30 more years of Scioscia for an equivalency).

Actually, it was the Philadelphia A's.

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

Mack managed the A’s when they were in Philadelphia not the Phillies. 

11 minutes ago, Hubs said:

If Cozart hits well he’d be a real nice asset. 

I’m secretly hoping he turns into a sort of Zobrist-lite. Not likely, but if he can scrap up .700-.750 OPS and find new life rotating around 5-6 positions, he starts to become a useful piece. Extreme wishful thinking though. 

So some things to think about (or not)... the Cubs lead the NL in outs on the base paths the last two years and made the second most amount of errors last year.  Listening to mlb network radio and an interview with some guy from ESPN Chicago - "accountability" became an issue for the Cubs in regards to Maddon. 

I thought it was interesting... doesn't change my opinion on this being a good hire for the Angels... but it was interesting to hear.

8 minutes ago, True Grich said:

So some things to think about (or not)... the Cubs lead the NL in outs on the base paths the last two years and made the second most amount of errors last year.  Listening to mlb network radio and an interview with some guy from ESPN Chicago - "accountability" became an issue for the Cubs in regards to Maddon. 

I thought it was interesting... doesn't change my opinion on this being a good hire for the Angels... but it was interesting to hear.

No manager is perfect. And even the ones who win titles people complain about. People as a whole complain. It’s in our nature. It’s one of the things we do best. 

2 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

No manager is perfect. And even the ones who win titles people complain about. People as a whole complain. It’s in our nature. It’s one of the things we do best. 

No one was complaining.

28 minutes ago, True Grich said:

Many of us have said it over and over and over again..   He is Mike Scioscia redux.   Fans here used to bitch and moan that MS didn't go off on guys that got thrown out -- they believed he was too kind to players etc etc..   Maddon is exactly the same way..   Oh, and for all the talk about how he was on the cutting edge of analytics -- no team shifted less than the Cubs last year.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/visuals/team-positioning

13 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Many of us have said it over and over and over again..   He is Mike Scioscia redux.   Fans here used to bitch and moan that MS didn't go off on guys that got thrown out -- they believed he was too kind to players etc etc..   Maddon is exactly the same way..   Oh, and for all the talk about how he was on the cutting edge of analytics -- no team shifted less than the Cubs last year.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/visuals/team-positioning

I think Sosh was caught in the “you’ve been here way too long so it’s time for change” moment. Bringing in Ausmus was a bump in the road. Joe Maddon may have the same game strategy as Sosh but his personality will be the difference maker. I think he’ll do a good job. 

Edited by Calzone 2

17 hours ago, Tank said:

i don't expect cozart to be in the lineup much at all next year.

i think you guys are stressing over nothing (something completely out of the ordinary on this forum).

I dont expect to see much of him because I don't believe he will be physically able to perform..   The reports at midseason where he couldnt bring his arm across the body didn't really paint of picture of someone who would be able to return to baseball activities.  He'll be our Prince FIelder, take up a roster spot until the season start and likely get put on the 60 day DL until his contract expires...