• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ken Rosenthal: No more excuses for Eppler

Chuck

20 minutes ago, RBM said:

OK but this did not happen. Marsh was signed for his exact second round slotting bonus of $1,073,300. He did not get more. And both Matt Thaiss and Will Smith signed for less than their first round slotting bonus so I don't see how picking Smith instead of Thaiss would have affected our signing of Marsh.

They still spent that money elsewhere.   

Do you remember what else happened that spring?   Marsh was diagnosed with a stress reaction/fracture in his back and it drove his bonus down a bit.

Also... Gavin Lux signed for 2.3 mil, more than Thaiss did (2.1) despite being drafted afterwards.

Stop trying to rewrite history to support your position.

1 hour ago, RBM said:

Ok. Fair enough.  The Dodgers are very good at this but still, it pisses me off that they find Will Smith at #20 and Gavin Lux at #32 late but Eppler gives us Matt Thaiss with the 16th pick  

I’ve been a huge supporter of Eppler and I understand he inherited a dysfunctional franchise from  DiPoto and Reagins. But it’s been four years. My patience is gone. It is time to hold him accountable for his actions and looking back at the 2016 draft is fair game. 

it's been a little over 3 years.  

and there is all of 1 qualified position player from that draft playing in the majors.  

11 minutes ago, RBM said:

Yep. Williams and Rodriguez got more.

My point is it appears Will Smith would have signed for the same amount as Matt Thaiss so picking Thaiss over Smith was a preference and not based on money.

Smith was drafted 16 slots later.....  Do you think he would have signed for the same amount if taken 16th instead of 32nd?   If your answer is yes then fine.... I don't see it.

@RBM and @Inside Pitch you guys can go back and forth on this indefinitely. 

Doesn’t change the fact the staff in place in charge of the draft wasn’t very good and was replaced following the 2016 draft. They might have not even paid attention to Smith or Lux. 

The minor league development staff also didn’t compare to the Dodgers. Flip it around, and Thaiss might be OPSing .900 with LAD right now and Smith could be struggling to hit .200.

Edited by totdprods

1 hour ago, Sean-Regan said:

I'm not going to say Eppler's been perfect. He's made errors, but they've largely been extremely short term ones that don't cripple us going forward. This should be appreciated.

But it just feels like every single negative poster here doesn't grasp just how much of a hole Dipoto (and Arte, to whatever extent he stupidly enabled Dipoto) put us in. The fact that the Astros have (arguably) the best organization (at least top 2) in  baseball doesn't help. It just means there is a much bigger hole to climb out of to contend. 

So whenever I see people complaining about how bad things are, I just roll my eyes. Unless you grasp the long term effects of how Jerry screwed us over, you shouldn't even be commenting on the current situation. Most people apparently don't. 

I don't expect miracles. I really hope we contend next season, but I think there's a reasonable shot that we just miss a WC spot or get swept like 2014 again. I'm not putting that on Eppler. I'm putting that on Arte and Jerry.

I think its important to not forget reagins here as well. And who knows if sosh had a hand, arte, etc etc etc.

The reality, that so many are missing, is that there isnt one true cause. Dipoto did the most damage for sure... but he too was in a possession with a thin farm, and pressure to win after signing pujols.

We talk about trouts window, but there was definitely a pujols one as well... especially after signing wilson and hamilton.

So it was several years of bad mistakes, by multiple people, for multiple reasons. And as it took a few years to take a toll, it will take a few years to correct.

For some people posting on here, eppler would have had to make every move perfect to not have something to knock him for.

This ignores reality. Every current team better than us has made its own mistakes. The dodgers, as good as theyve been, still havent been able to win it all. The yankees had to rebuild for the most part. Boston is about to be in trouble. Etc etc. 

None had the pitching curse weve had, compounding all of the other issues.

Eppler has had amble time to do what a GM is suppose to do and has been Terrible in search of talent,I.E. not signing Petit(Oakland A's),Alvarez(Phillies)Parker(Twins) and instead wasting money on Luis Garcia,T.Cahill,L.Bard,J.Jewell.To say nothing of those released already,the Garbage that is Manager ASSMUS and pitching coach D.White tells me the Angels need to start from the beginning or we'll never get anyone like G.Cole.We need a G.M. like the Rays or A's have(Over Achievers,Not Under)We're Not the N.Y. Yankees,Stop hiring that type.

26 minutes ago, TC #27 said:

Eppler has had amble time to do what a GM is suppose to do and has been Terrible in search of talent,I.E. not signing Petit(Oakland A's),Alvarez(Phillies)Parker(Twins) and instead wasting money on Luis Garcia,T.Cahill,L.Bard,J.Jewell.To say nothing of those released already,the Garbage that is Manager ASSMUS and pitching coach D.White tells me the Angels need to start from the beginning or we'll never get anyone like G.Cole.We need a G.M. like the Rays or A's have(Over Achievers,Not Under)We're Not the N.Y. Yankees,Stop hiring that type.

Haha.  No he hasn’t been given ample time. 

6 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

While this is true, Eppler cannot use this excuse again this offseason. 

You hear all the time that a player would like to go here or there, but money talks. Eppler & Arte need to make it happen. I don't give a rats ass if Boras is their agent. 

In the case of Gerrit Cole, the Angels are in the room. They are the favorites. It doesn’t mean they’ll sign him, but they have a better chance than anyone else. 

7 hours ago, floplag said:

I understand, plus im on record for saying that there wasnt much that off season i was that fond of signing, but youre limiting the discussion to just that one scope of last off seasons FAs and ignoring all other options that he may have had in recent years such as trades or upgrading other spots to make other guys expendable to shift the roster around.

This season was an absolute worst case scenario on almost every level.  Weve seen pics of your dog as much as weve seen highlights.   Last off season it was well maybe the WC or "being in the mix" this year if everything goes right, it didnt, it never does.  Now its well maybe the WC next year... its the same conversation.    This was my worst nightmare all along that the window just keeps getting pushed out.  

Honestly right now when do you see this club challenging? 

Between the players they have now and the players who are available and affordable, they could compete next year. 

I don’t have a crystal ball to tell who they will sign or how they will perform. 

5 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

In the case of Gerrit Cole, the Angels are in the room. They are the favorites. It doesn’t mean they’ll sign him, but they have a better chance than anyone else. 

Do you have some inside info or are you basing this off of that fact he was born in Newport Beach and wants to come home?  Regardless, the Angels need more than just Cole. Arte has never signed a pitcher to a contract that Cole will demand so I'm not getting my hopes up.

1 minute ago, beatlesrule said:

Do you have some inside info or are you basing this off of that fact he was born in Newport Beach and wants to come home?  Regardless, the Angels need more than just Cole. Arte has never signed a pitcher to a contract that Cole will demand so I'm not getting my hopes up.

I am basing this off talking to him. 

6 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I am basing this off talking to him. 

Well okay. I hope he gives the Angels a hometown discount then because they most likely won't be the top bidders. I mean, he has Boras as his agent and usually those guys are all about the money. Pay me the most and I'll play for you. I liked how honest Greinke was when he stated he will go to whatever team offers him the most money. That turned out to be the Dodgers and then D'backs. IIRC, the Dodgers outbid the Angels by 40 million.

1 hour ago, beatlesrule said:

Well okay. I hope he gives the Angels a hometown discount then because they most likely won't be the top bidders. I mean, he has Boras as his agent and usually those guys are all about the money. Pay me the most and I'll play for you. I liked how honest Greinke was when he stated he will go to whatever team offers him the most money. That turned out to be the Dodgers and then D'backs. IIRC, the Dodgers outbid the Angels by 40 million.

Why, because they weren’t for Eovaldi or Corbin? Arte is able to outbid the field. There’s a time to hold tight and a time to go big. Last season wasn’t the time to overspend. You do remember that they were basically even on some offers last offseason but guys wanted to stay back east.

And why would he give them a hometown discount? This is just pure negative juice with zero logic behind it. 

1 hour ago, beatlesrule said:

Cole hires Borass, not the other way around. Borass is a douche for how he manipulates the process but it is the player who determines the outcome.  Unless someone plays video games with him, or @Tank has an opening to meet with him, we will never know the underlying factors until Cole decides.

3 hours ago, TC #27 said:

Four Years and another year added on a option year with No playoffs.Yeah Amble time,Lets move on

1 hour ago, eligrba said:

Cole hires Borass, not the other way around. Borass is a douche for how he manipulates the process but it is the player who determines the outcome.  Unless someone plays video games with him, or @Tank has an opening to meet with him, we will never know the underlying factors until Cole decides.

I can’t officially do anything with him until the WS is over. Until then, however, there’s no reason we can’t bump into each other in the players parking lot, or the INO in Anaheim, or his favorite laundromat in garden grove.

3 hours ago, beatlesrule said:

HE WANTS TO HUG HIS MOM!

and cash big checks.