• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Trevor Cahill

1 minute ago, VariousCrap said:

I like this move as Cahill was one of the guys I thought made sense for the Angels, I just hope this doesn't mean the Angels are out on Kikuchi.

I get the sneaking suspicion that it does.  To me, this feels like a pivot from Kikuchi relative to his demands.  

44 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Absolutely, but also think I’d prefer simply signing Grandal and keeping Barria. 

Instead of buying another low/mid-tier arm, I think I’d see if Moose could be had for 1-2 years around $8-10m AAV. Adding the OBP that Bour, La Stella, and Grandal brings really negates Moose’s troubles there, and he’ll give you good defense, another lefty bat, and more power. Really well-rounded lineup. Lots of IF versatility. Lots of 1B depth. No long deals, no prospects lost. 

Would need to do something then with Cozart, since they already have Fletcher and Rengifo for 2B.   Trade Cozart plus half his salary for whatever, which would pretty much make it neutral by signing Moose?   One emerging concern, to go with the lower OBP, is that Moose seems to have declined defensively at 3B?

13 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Cozart will have a better 2019 slash than Moustakas. He won't have as many HR, but

BR has Moustakas at .253 / .311 / .469 with 27 2b and 28 HR.

They have Cozart at .251 /.325 / .431 for a .756 slash. 18 2B and 12 HR in 200 less AB's. (377 to 577).

I think the AB's is about right actually, as I see he, Ward, and Fletcher basically splitting the starts at 2nd and 3rd. I don't see LaStella getting a lot of playing time after the first two months.

I dont think Cozart comes close to those numbers. His big year was a fluke. 

I'm rather indifferent about Kikuchi. Mostly I think he's just the new and shiny bauble that people want; from what I've ready he's no better than a #3-4, which is nice, but he comes with some risk. Cahill and Harvey can also be #3-4s and are only commited to for a year.

I like what Eppler is doing: adding some interesting pieces that could yield some upside, but aren't blocking Ohtani or Canning. Plus with their depth, they can trade Barria, Suarez, or Sandoval for hitting.

2 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I get the sneaking suspicion that it does.  To me, this feels like a pivot from Kikuchi relative to his demands.  

That was exactly my first thought when I read this news.  My guess is Kikuchi's price has gotten too high and Cahill was a single season fall back option.  Hopefully we are wrong, but I don't think we are.

Now we need a catcher and maybe sign one of the buy lower pitcher options that can go back and forth between SP and RP?

31 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Grandal/Cody Allen would be ideal pickups. If they could move cozart and scoop up Moustakas for 3b on top of that i'd be very happy. 

With the Cahill and Harvey signings, does that mean that Grandal is too pricey now? 

While Allen still generates the high Ks total (80 in 69 innings in 2018), he has gotten more wild (33 BBs) and has become susceptible to the long ball (11 HRs).

Still possible to sign Robertson?   He might be the perfect addition for a younger pen.   They now have at least six starters in Heaney, Skaggs, Barria, Cahill, Harvey, and F. Pena; plus Canning, Suarez, and Sandoval aren't too far away.   Robertson is now more needed than an additional starter.  

15 minutes ago, Hubs said:

I'd rather have a 6 man rotation where they pitch 24-30 starts each and pitch 6+ IP. Basically I want to see them get through the lineup 3 times. One of the Angels big problems last year was a lack of depth from the rotation. Our starters only went 800 IP or so for the entire year, which is less than 5 innings per start. The Astros went over 1000 innings from their starters. Which is over 6 inning average.

While true, the bullpen was a huge reason for that failure in the first half to 2/3 of the season as well.  Our current pen will be much improved over that one i expect.   It was a double edged sword in my opinion. 

50 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I'd much rather have one year of Cahill at $9M than five years of Keuchel for $90M.

The Angels rotation isn't sexy, but its deep with solid starters with some upside:

Heaney, Skaggs, Harvey, Cahill, Barria, Tropeano, F Pena, Peters, Cole, Smith, Canning, Suarez, Ramirez. That's 13 guys who could contribute in 2019, 15 if you count Sandoval and L Pena.

There are only 6 names on that list that I want to see take the mound for the Angels in 2019.

I understand your point but I am not comforted with massive depth from just a volume of bodies.

Like if I am putting on a Victoria's secret fashion show, I want my premium models ready to go.  Having another 7 chubby chicks with bad teeth standing by ready to step in doesn't make me feel more comfortable.

9 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Would need to do something then with Cozart, since they already have Fletcher and Rengifo for 2B.   Trade Cozart plus half his salary for whatever, which would pretty much make it neutral by signing Moose?   One emerging concern, to go with the lower OBP, is that Moose seems to have declined defensively at 3B?

Isnt this all assuming that Regnifo is actually MLB ready?  Are we sure thats the case?  He had a breakout 18 for sure but id kinda like to see him keep that going before we make that assumption.   Put him in the 20 plan sure, 19... maybe not. 

We could easily slot in another 3B with Cozart at 2B and Fletcher at util and be better overall offensively.  Once Cozart proves healthy or gets displaced trade him for the final year of his deal to make room for whoever steps up. 

Just now, Stradling said:

Cool he won’t bitch if you will simply stop following the team since you have already given up on them.  Thanks in advance.  

Here comes Stradling to the rescue!

How dare anyone have a negative opinion on what’s happening this offseason or anything organization related for that matter!

Grow up dude.

2 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

Yep.  I'm still curious how Trout feels about this plan and how that impacts his long-term view of staying here. 

It's funny I never felt that Trout was waiting for the Angels to get "better" so he could stay. But I wonder what he's thinking about these current moves.

4 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

Here comes Stradling to the rescue!

How dare anyone have a negative opinion on what’s happening this offseason or anything organization related for that matter!

Grow up dude.

Says the guy who told another fan that he isn’t allowed to bitch because he doesn’t mind the moves the team has made.   Some fans aren’t whiny bitches, sorry.  As far as me growing up, if I need to be a twat to be a grown up, yea, I will enjoy my current state of maturity.  

9 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

There are only 6 names on that list that I want to see take the mound for the Angels in 2019.

I understand your point but I am not comforted with massive depth from just a volume of bodies.

Like if I am putting on a Victoria's secret fashion show, I want my premium models ready to go.  Having another 7 chubby chicks with bad teeth standing by ready to step in doesn't make me feel more comfortable.

I hear your point, but that issue is actually more with the major league rotation's lack of top-end talent than the depth of the AAA pitchers. None of the Angels starters are likely to be better than #3s, while they have a ton of guys who are at least solid #5s and could be good #4s. It is nice having half a dozen or more guys ready to provide league average innings, with a few of them with higher upside.

17 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

With the Cahill and Harvey signings, does that mean that Grandal is too pricey now? 

While Allen still generates the high Ks total (80 in 69 innings in 2018), he has gotten more wild (33 BBs) and has become susceptible to the long ball (11 HRs).

Still possible to sign Robertson?   He might be the perfect addition for a younger pen.   They now have at least six starters in Heaney, Skaggs, Barria, Cahill, Harvey, and F. Pena; plus Canning, Suarez, and Sandoval aren't too far away.   Robertson is now more needed than an additional starter.  

I think Robertson will get more than Allen. I'm assuming theres about 14-16M left to spend. Could see a 10-12M per for Grandal which leaves roughly 4m to spend on a reliever. I'd assume they could sign Allen or even Holland for that. Maybe not...

If they could trade Cozart and sign Mous with that i'd be more than happy with running Fletcher/La Stella out there at 2nd

6 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Says the guy who told another fan that he isn’t allowed to bitch because he doesn’t mind the moves the team has made.   Some fans aren’t whiny bitches, sorry.  As far as me growing up, if I need to be a twat to be a grown up, yea, I will enjoy my current state of maturity.  

Here you go again...

Going out of your way to turn every thread into your very own pissing match. 

Ain’t doing this with you today, have fun