• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Trevor Cahill

7 hours ago, mulwin444 said:

I'm guessing we find out soon after both Harper and Machado sign their deals.  

You really think Trout is waiting on those guys to sign an extension? 

Whether Trout signs an extension or not..... it will not be this off-season. And he certainly will not be waiting on other people to set the bar. They are not even comparable players to Trout.

6 minutes ago, Griffey's Corner said:

Whether Trout signs an extension or not..... it will not be this off-season. And he certainly will not be waiting on other people to set the bar. They are not even comparable players to Trout.

You are possibly the only one who thinks he won’t want to see what those two get before signing his extension.  

33 minutes ago, Griffey's Corner said:

best gif thumbs up GIF

Gotta say I like this move better than the Harvey signing. Say what you will about fantasy sites (and they are certainly flawed), but I've always had alot of respect for Matthew Pouliot over at rotoworld. In his September preview for 2019, he listed as the #67 SP, with Matt Harvey #94. The October Fangraphs ranking has Trevor at #80, Harvey not in the top 100.  

I guess I can see Cahill as a legit #3 SP, which I CAN'T see Harvey as. I mean, at one time Harvey was a quality pitcher; now, he's just who he is. l think in his case, perception is trailing reality. But in Cahill, you don't have to go back 'before he was injured', you can just look at what he did last year and see he's a solid #3; with a shot at being better, but a better shot of being injured.  

Final comment on Harvey; I think 'potential' carries alot of weight with a rookie who is just starting to put it all together; much less impressive when applied to a guy who, in his prime was very good, but now is a bit of a broken down husk.

4 hours ago, Pablo said:

Gotta say I like this move better than the Harvey signing. Say what you will about fantasy sites (and they are certainly flawed), but I've always had alot of respect for Matthew Pouliot over at rotoworld. In his September preview for 2019, he listed as the #67 SP, with Matt Harvey #94. The October Fangraphs ranking has Trevor at #80, Harvey not in the top 100.  

I guess I can see Cahill as a legit #3 SP, which I CAN'T see Harvey as. I mean, at one time Harvey was a quality pitcher; now, he's just who he is. l think in his case, perception is trailing reality. But in Cahill, you don't have to go back 'before he was injured', you can just look at what he did last year and see he's a solid #3; with a shot at being better, but a better shot of being injured.  

Final comment on Harvey; I think 'potential' carries alot of weight with a rookie who is just starting to put it all together; much less impressive when applied to a guy who, in his prime was very good, but now is a bit of a broken down husk.

as long as harvey is over his thoracic outlet and his other ailments that derailed his career, i think that there's a very decent shot that he rebounds into a new version of the dark knight. it's going to take him continuing on a growth path, but the most important factors are that he pitched a full season's worth of innings and his stuff returned to his norms.

he's no longer the broken down version of himself he had become. mlb is littered with the stories of comeback pitchers, i see more reasons why harvey will be included on that rebound list, than reasons why he'll fall away into obscurity.

lastly, do not discount the move to angel stadium, the AL west, and a stellar defense.

25 minutes ago, Randy Gradishar said:

Facebook comments are always depressing and uplifting at the same time. It's like watching Schindler's List and remembering your life isn't that bad.

Yeah there are always people asking why we aren’t getting Syndergaard and Degrom. These people have no idea how this shit works lol 

9 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Doesn’t look like it. 

I dont disapprove of the Harvey/Cahill moves, but they are completely contrary to Eppler's proclamation that he wanted to bring in durable arms. Harvey and Cahill are not durable, innings eaters. What do you think changed in that regard? 

16 minutes ago, wopphil said:

I dont disapprove of the Harvey/Cahill moves, but they are completely contrary to Eppler's proclamation that he wanted to bring in durable arms. Harvey and Cahill are not durable, innings eaters. What do you think changed in that regard? 

I think they have a lot of boxes on their checklist. You can’t get everything. They weigh all the pros and cons and costs of every pitcher and take the best they can get. 

When you buy a house they say take the 3 most important things you want, and if you find a house with 2 of 3, buy it. 

7 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I think they have a lot of boxes on their checklist. You can’t get everything. They weigh all the pros and cons and costs of every pitcher and take the best they can get. 

When you buy a house they say take the 3 most important things you want, and if you find a house with 2 of 3, buy it. 

Do you think they are still shopping Calhoun? Or did that ship sail at the winter meetings? 

13 hours ago, floplag said:

Hmm, not sure what to make of this one.  Over the last 2 years hes put up nice numbers, when hes put up numbers but certainly brings along poor durability and a lack of innings eating, seems counter the Eppler plan in that sense but definitely could have huge upside if he can actually stay on the mound.  AS noted by many feels like another overpay but at least its short term.

As noted by @mulwin444 it seems clear these are stop gap deals designed to let the players re-establish themselves and bridge the gap to our younger arms.   

Assuming we had about 24M left we now have about 15M left for a catcher which should fit in line with Grandal if we decide to go that direction and possibly a little wiggle room for a possible Tulo or something?  Not that i like that idea it just, fits.  Heck i almost wonder if they are even done pitching wise.  WE needed 2, we got one and a half.   wonder if they might still go after a Kukichi perhaps? 

Im still very disturbed that we seem completely uncommitted to the future aside from waiting on the kids but that appears to be the road were taking.   Right now they are setting themselves up for either life with Trout, or trading him, i find this not very comforting.

How is this guy better than shoemaker for about half the money?

Both have injury problems.  Both with a career ERA+ of 99

8 minutes ago, stormngt said:

it's a fair question with an obvious answer.  Not to be flippant, but they obviously had no confidence in his ability to contribute to the point that they paid a similar player twice as much.  

8 hours ago, stormngt said:

This is/was my first reaction as well, but the answer is pretty simply really, upside. 

Ill admit that the comparison is a bit of an exaggeration though honestly.  Last year Cahill put up a 3.76 ERA in 20 starts with a 1.1 WHIP., show gave us 4.94 and 1.2 in his few, not exactly apples to apples.   

It is completely conceivable that we will get the same production we would have gotten from Shoe.  Its also possible he could be much better.  We wont know in the end till the season is over.