• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Trevor Cahill

I saw this elsewhere, but if you think about it, it is spot-on. 

Billy was hoping to spend $20 million/incentives on Corbin, but that went away. So he put $11 million/incentives on Harvey and $9 million/incentives on Cahill. Corbin went 14-13 in 2018. Harvey (7-9) and Cahill (7-4) went 14-13 in 2018. $20 million for 14-13. Billy did a Buzzy Bavasi!!!

5 hours ago, NorCal Halo said:

FWIW

Baseball Reference Projections for 2019 (Is this a new feature? I haven't seen it before):

Trevor Cahill:  4.05 ERA  109 IP  1.312 WHIP

Matt Harvey:  5.00 ERA  144IP  1.382 WHIP

I'm doubling down on my statement that the Angels need to hit better to even maintain 2018's winning percentage.

i'll make a cash bet that if harvey gets to 145 innings he has a better ERA than that.

21 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

UPGRADE tho!!!

Dude if you can’t look at last years team and understand that Cahill and Harvey are upgrades over Despange and McGuire then that is entirely on you.  If you can’t read the stats that have been posted numerous times on what our 5 spot in the rotation provided us last year and understand that we have indeed upgraded I am not sure what to tell you.  What I do know is there is a small part of me that will feel guilty taking your money.  However with every post like this, I smirk and look forward to whatever excuse you come up with to not pay me.  

9 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Dude if you can’t look at last years team and understand that Cahill and Harvey are upgrades over Despange and McGuire then that is entirely on you.  If you can’t read the stats that have been posted numerous times on what our 5 spot in the rotation provided us last year and understand that we have indeed upgraded I am not sure what to tell you.  What I do know is there is a small part of me that will feel guilty taking your money.  However with every post like this, I smirk and look forward to whatever excuse you come up with to not pay me.  

Well if the bar is Despaigne and McGuire..sure. There are those low expectations rearing their head again.

and I will actually pay you however much I owe you if I end up wrong. I know that’s the equivalent of saying I will actually get Giselle Bunchden to cheat on Tom brady for me since we are on the internet, but...

i see this as a 75 win team as currently constructed. Ohtani will be out until May, who is our catcher?. Team still needs bullpen help too I’d imagine. Granted, the offseason isn’t over 

13 minutes ago, Stradling said:

They’re upgrades and those are two pitchers that I wanted to sign. But realistically, it’s not enough to make us a contender. That’s what many posters are upset about. They want to compete for a title in 2019. That’s most likely not happening with the current signings, even if we sign a good catcher and some bullpen guys. It’s also probably an overzealous goal with Albert’s contract still there and then trying to budget money for Trout and build prospects for the future.

I do agree they should win over 80 games, but that’s not anything to brag about. It’s actually kind of pathetic. But again, I get what the Angels are doing and am more patient than others. But it has been ten years since this team has sniffed a playoff win and only one of those years we have made the playoffs. So I can’t blame people for questioning management either.

if the Angels can’t figure it out within the next few years when their prospects are ready and Pujols is off the books, there has to be accountability. At some point, enough would be enough. But Eppler has done a great job IMO, so far even though his major league signings have been questionable.

15 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

They’re upgrades and those are two pitchers that I wanted to sign. But realistically, it’s not enough to make us a contender. That’s what many posters are upset about. They want to compete for a title in 2019. That’s most likely not happening with the current signings, even if we sign a good catcher and some bullpen guys. It’s also probably an overzealous goal with Albert’s contract still there and then trying to budget money for Trout and build prospects for the future.

I do agree they should win over 80 games, but that’s not anything to brag about. It’s actually kind of pathetic. But again, I get what the Angels are doing and am more patient than others. But it has been ten years since this team has sniffed a playoff win and only one of those years we have made the playoffs. So I can’t blame people for questioning management either.

if the Angels can’t figure it out within the next few years when their prospects are ready and Pujols is off the books, there has to be accountability. At some point, enough would be enough. But Eppler has done a great job IMO, so far even though his major league signings have been questionable.

I don’t disagree with anything you posted.  Like you I am patient.  I am also a realist and looked at free agency and I don’t really think there  was a realistic pathway to make us contenders.  If you squint and think that signing Keuchel and Corbin puts us in the same class as Houston, ok.  I just don’t think it is reasonable to think this gets solved through free agency.  

7 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

If the Angels get 140+ innings each out of Harvey and Cahill then the Angels are probably in good shape for that wild card spot.

They actually would have a solid chance at it.  No one in the AL Central other than Cleveland is all that.   Tampa Bay is a regression candidate.  A’th are always a regression candidate after a strong season.

4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I don’t disagree with anything you posted.  Like you I am patient.  I am also a realist and looked at free agency and I don’t really think there  was a realistic pathway to make us contenders.  If you squint and think that signing Keuchel and Corbin puts us in the same class as Houston, ok.  I just don’t think it is reasonable to think this gets solved through free agency.  

I think this is the key that people need to understand.  There was a path to make us contenders if you include both free agency and trades, but that would likely have required spending way more than they had allocated as well as giving up prospects from the top of our farm system.  

It's Eppler's job to decide the best bath to winning and he has chosen a path that could potentially work whether Trout extends or not.  There's no sense in trading for a Realmuto if you're going to have Cahill and Harvey as one year stop gaps in your rotation or Justin Bour as a platoon partner with Pujols, or hope that Calhoun rebounds in RF or Cozart at 3b or a rookie/platoon at 2b (Fletcher/La Stella), or a untested pen or a ceiling on payroll that is well below the threshold.  

People complain about how hovering around mediocre puts us in limbo and that's not a good place to be.  But even worse than that is spending a bunch of money and more importantly,  most of your prospect resources to end up a little better than mediocre.