• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Trevor Cahill

3 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

And there’s good reason to have some faith that Harvey is going to be much better then he was last year.  If Cahill is healthy he’ll probably give us his career norms.  Which are fine for a back end starter.  

We got 16 starts and 76.1 ip from GR with a 3.66 era last year.  His FIP was 4.13.  

Cahill made starts 20 starts and pitched 110 innings with a 3.76 era and an FIP of 3.54.  The hope is that he can repeat those numbers over the entire season.  

Harvey is the real wild card.  

46 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I don’t disagree with anything you posted.  Like you I am patient.  I am also a realist and looked at free agency and I don’t really think there  was a realistic pathway to make us contenders.  If you squint and think that signing Keuchel and Corbin puts us in the same class as Houston, ok.  I just don’t think it is reasonable to think this gets solved through free agency.  

Yep. I agree with your free agency comment. I would rather spend on free agents when our farm is ready and we’re closer to being contenders. And by this time, Albert will be put to pasture. I don’t have all that much interest in Keuchel. Corbin is more attractive to me but also more expensive and I really think Skaggs can be a Corbin type pitcher if he stays healthy. Not saying 2 Corbins wouldn’t be better than one, but again, it’s about the near future. 

3 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I think this is the key that people need to understand.  There was a path to make us contenders if you include both free agency and trades, but that would likely have required spending way more than they had allocated as well as giving up prospects from the top of our farm system.  

It's Eppler's job to decide the best bath to winning and he has chosen a path that could potentially work whether Trout extends or not.  There's no sense in trading for a Realmuto if you're going to have Cahill and Harvey as one year stop gaps in your rotation or Justin Bour as a platoon partner with Pujols, or hope that Calhoun rebounds in RF or Cozart at 3b or a rookie/platoon at 2b (Fletcher/La Stella), or a untested pen or a ceiling on payroll that is well below the threshold.  

People complain about how hovering around mediocre puts us in limbo and that's not a good place to be.  But even worse than that is spending a bunch of money and more importantly,  most of your prospect resources to end up a little better than mediocre.  

And I think going into this off-season it was expected the Angels would improve and try to stay close enough to being a Wild Card contender as they could. If we stay in contention at the deadline, that is when the Angels can decide if they want to expend more resources to improve the team for a playoff run or not.

Basically floating out at sea but maintaining eyesight of land in case we need to pull into shore.

On 12/23/2018 at 9:06 AM, hangin n wangin said:

Yep. I agree with your free agency comment. I would rather spend on free agents when our farm is ready and we’re closer to being contenders. And by this time, Albert will be put to pasture. I don’t have all that much interest in Keuchel. Corbin is more attractive to me but also more expensive and I really think Skaggs can be a Corbin type pitcher if he stays healthy. Not saying 2 Corbins wouldn’t be better than one, but again, it’s about the near future. 

Anddd, make sure the FA signings are smart ones (aka no guys with questionable pasts like Hackilton or obvious health concerns due to years of exaggerated crouched stance while carrying too much weight like Pujols or total douches like Machado).

I always thought each offseason should have its own slogan. Like the year the Angels whiffed on Beltre and Crawford and instead traded for Vernon Wells, we could have called that offseason, "desperation." Or the year the Angels got Pujols and Wilson, " Operation: West Coast Yankees." And then the next offseason, "Double Down."

Last offseason I think was, "A New Hope" because obviously Ohtani, but also inking Cozart after he went from being a 2 win player to 5 wins in one year, and then the Angels supplemented their farm with Kevin Maitan and Livan Soto, and a former enemy who simply had a down year fell into the Angels lap in Ian Kinsler. And we finally had a middle of the order bat extended in Justin Upton, LF was finally solved.  

This offseason, I'd probably title it, "Hail Mary". Basically taking a chance on a low cost collection of players that likely won't work out, but if it does, it will be a touchdown. Absolutely magical. Highlight worthy. 

8 hours ago, Second Base said:

I always thought each offseason should have its own slogan. Like the year the Angels whiffed on Beltre and Crawford and instead traded for Vernon Wells, we could have called that offseason, "desperation." Or the year the Angels got Pujols and Wilson, " Operation: West Coast Yankees." And then the next offseason, "Double Down."

Last offseason I think was, "A New Hope" because obviously Ohtani, but also inking Cozart after he went from being a 2 win player to 5 wins in one year, and then the Angels supplemented their farm with Kevin Maitan and Livan Soto, and a former enemy who simply had a down year fell into the Angels lap in Ian Kinsler. And we finally had a middle of the order bat extended in Justin Upton, LF was finally solved.  

This offseason, I'd probably title it, "Hail Mary". Basically taking a chance on a low cost collection of players that likely won't work out, but if it does, it will be a touchdown. Absolutely magical. Highlight worthy. 

I will give Eppler and his staff the benefit of waiting before assuming that past history continues unabated. I do think they have a plan for each player beyond hoping for the best. 

43 minutes ago, AngelStew43 said:

I keep thinking that Cahill is going to be our Pettit from a couple of seasons ago.  A guy who is called on to pitch maybe the 6th and 7th innings a couple of times a week, and get us to Buttrey or Bedrosian, or whoever the 8th and 9th inning people are.

Cahill is going to start.

1 hour ago, AngelStew43 said:

I keep thinking that Cahill is going to be our Pettit from a couple of seasons ago.  A guy who is called on to pitch maybe the 6th and 7th innings a couple of times a week, and get us to Buttrey or Bedrosian, or whoever the 8th and 9th inning people are.

I don't think there's any chance of this happening.

None. 

On 12/23/2018 at 8:58 AM, Dochalo said:

We got 16 starts and 76.1 ip from GR with a 3.66 era last year.  His FIP was 4.13.  

Cahill made starts 20 starts and pitched 110 innings with a 3.76 era and an FIP of 3.54.  The hope is that he can repeat those numbers over the entire season.  

Harvey is the real wild card.  

Harvey is a coin flip, indeed.

ViciousInsidiousGilamonster-size_restricted.gif

13 minutes ago, nando714 said:

Jw the realistic IP projection for Cahill is?

he barely reached 100 last season and before that he did last in 2014

That's a bit misleading. While he's always had some injury issues, most of the years can be attributed to the fact that he was simply either a reliever, or was trying to right his career.

In 2014, his career had virtually fallen apart, going 3-12 with a 5.61 ERA for Arizona. He was only 26. 
In 2015, Atlanta and the Cubs primarily used him as a reliever - because he wasn't doing much to earn a rotation spot. 
He pitched so well with the Cubs in the pen - 17 IP, 5 BB, 22 K, 2.12 ERA - that it was clear he had rediscovered himself as a reliever.
In 2016, he was used entirely in relief save one start and was solid all year long.
In 2017, San Diego was willing to offer him a rotation spot in '17, where he pitched well until he was dumped on Kansas City. 
In 2018, much like his career, he battled on and off injuries. 

I doubt we'll get 25 GS, 180 IP out of him - but 20 starts and 130 IP wouldn't be terrible, provided Suarez, Pena, and Canning can be counted on.

Signing reminds me a bit of the Jesse Chavez deal - we'll give him every opportunity to succeed as a SP, but not hard to envision him shifting towards a pen role as the season goes on, depending on how he's producing and how the teams' needs are faring. We gave Chavez a fairly stout ~$6m deal with quite a few incentives escalating on GS, if I recall.

On 12/26/2018 at 10:31 AM, AngelStew43 said:

Taylor Cole looked like that guy last year

37 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Taylor Cole looked like that guy last year

Exactly, he averaged 2 innings in his 18 appearances for the Halos, and aside from the two first inning blowups in August, he had the following numbers.

33.2 innings, 1 HR allowed, 35/9 Ks/BBs, 11/7 GBs/FBs, 1.34 ERA, 0.72 WHIP 

Yet, not many on here talk about Cole, as if he's a forgotten guy.

• 3 months later...
On December 20, 2018 at 4:46 PM, Griffey's Corner said:

You really think Trout is waiting on those guys to sign an extension? 

Whether Trout signs an extension or not..... it will not be this off-season. And he certainly will not be waiting on other people to set the bar. They are not even comparable players to Trout.

nailed it 

• 2 months later...