• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Trevor Cahill

Just now, Dochalo said:

I think the A's are going to have to get lucky again.  I have a hard time believing they'll repeat offensively. I would put them in a similar bucket as the halos right now.  

They might be solid offensively still, but their pitching staff was basically a miracle last season. 

I actually think Seattle is going to wind up being inexplicably better than many would think. Not really a contender, but good enough to be frustrating. Dipoto's high-floor approach will keep the team well-stocked enough from being a total floor mat. It's very low likelihood, but Houston is entering their season with the biggest 'risk factor' they've had in awhile. They may be down three of their five 2018 (Keuchel, Morton, McCullers) leaving a lot of reliance on a 38? year old Verlander and Gerrit Cole, who will be hard pressed to top last year's production. 

4 hours ago, totdprods said:

I still don't understand the notion that because the Angels didn't 'try to win' in 2019-2020 it will affect Trout's decision on whether or not to re-sign.
He was here when we 'tried to win' 2011-2015 and all it did was eff up 2016-2020 by clogging payroll and killing the farm. 

If we did that again now, what's to say it doesn't eff up 2020-25?

I'd think re-upping with an Angels team with a loaded farm, young core, and flexible payroll sometime in 19-20 to set the team up for 2020-25 would be a lot more appealing. 

A lot more appealing than a "bird in the hand" team like Boston or NYY or even the Dodgers, instead of our "two in the bush" team? 

Imagine having a lineup of Betts, Benintendi, Trout,  Martinez, Bogaets, Devers, and so on. Who could resist that for, money comparable to anything that Arte would offer?

Well, anyway, if all these prospects are as good as advertised, Trout will know before the end of 2020.

Honestly reading Angels fans  (and other dipshit baseball fans) comments the last couple of days on Twitter and like Reddit.  Man. People are stupid as fuc*k about baseball.  

Sort of don’t realize it since I spend most of my baseball time on AW.  A lot of good posters here. 

4 minutes ago, WeatherWonk said:

Imagine having a lineup of Betts, Benintendi, Trout,  Martinez, Bogaets, Devers, and so on. Who could resist that for, money comparable to anything that Arte would offer?

Half of those guys could be or will hit FA before Trout does. Boston probably couldn’t afford all of them extended anyways. And they have no farm - their window is pretty much right now up until 2021ish before things get murky again. 

The 2020-2030 Angels have as good a forecast as LAD, HOU, BOS, NYY, PHI, ATL, WAS, team for being competitive that decade, if not more so than some of those. 

Just now, Dochalo said:

Sanchez is equivalent to Harvey and Cahill imo.  It's also a lesson of what a guy can be if given the right situation.  Sanchez had a 5.67 era in 415.2 ip over his 2015-17 seasons and then put up a 2.83 era last year. 

And if he can turn things around, why can’t Harvey or Cahill?

I’m glad Eppler held at one-year.

32 minutes ago, WeatherWonk said:

A lot more appealing than a "bird in the hand" team like Boston or NYY or even the Dodgers, instead of our "two in the bush" team? 

Well, anyway, if all these prospects are as good as advertised, Trout will know before the end of 2020.

The only Red Sox players you listed that won't be free agents by the end of 2020 are Devers and Benintendi.   Bogaerts and Martinez (opt out), can hit the market after 2019, and Betts will be a FA, the same time Trout will.   

Imagine a fantasy world where Betts wouldn't wait out Trouts potential contract before being a bird in hand....

Edited by Inside Pitch

7 minutes ago, eligrba4ever said:

One-year deals for Harvey and Cahill mean both can be sent packing by midseason if they underperform with NO future commitments. It also serves to NOT BLOCK any young arms with possibly higher upsides.

Agreed. 

The Angels could be in a good situation if Canning/Suarez/Sandoval all stay healthy and have a productive first half. 

20 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

The only Red Sox players you listed that won't be free agents by the end of 2020 are Devers and Benintendi.   Bogaerts and Martinez (opt out), can hit the market after 2019, and Betts will be a FA, the same time Trout will.   

Imagine a fantasy world where Betts wouldn't wait out Trouts potential contract before being a bird in hand....

and the reason Boston currently has Betts, Bogaerts, Benintendi, and Devers is because they exercised the 'two in the bush' philosophy a few years back.  

extend Trout and Simmons and you've got 3 birds in the hand (along with Ohtani) and a bunch in the bush.  

Also, sometimes that bird in your hand takes a shit and then when it's turns 38 years old you've got to pay it 100 million dollars over the next three years while it limps around the bases and gets surgery every 12 months.  

3 hours ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

Love this signing! Better than the Harvey signing, which was also good.

Cahill has better 2018 stats, and career stats, than Skaggs and Heaney.

Agreed, Cahill was solid last year. With these 1 year deals i wonder if they will try and get Sale or Arrenando next year esp if they can move Cozarts contract after next year.

13 minutes ago, popo85 said:

Agreed, Cahill was solid last year. With these 1 year deals i wonder if they will try and get Sale or Arrenando next year esp if they can move Cozarts contract after next year.

Always a great FA next year.  Then they sign and we say that team overpaid but next year this guy is a FA.