• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Trevor Cahill

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

I still don't understand the notion that because the Angels didn't 'try to win' in 2019-2020 it will affect Trout's decision on whether or not to re-sign.
He was here when we 'tried to win' 2011-2015 and all it did was eff up 2016-2020 by clogging payroll and killing the farm. 

If we did that again now, what's to say it doesn't eff up 2020-25?

I'd think re-upping with an Angels team with a loaded farm, young core, and flexible payroll sometime in 19-20 to set the team up for 2020-25 would be a lot more appealing. 

You have a valid opinion ... no way of knowing if that rings true with Trout. We do know Trout wants to win now not later. My guess is that he doesn’t sign a extension this off season. 

1 hour ago, Hubs said:

If it took Barria, Marsh, and J. Jones/Thaiss plus a few lower level guys...it might be worth it. Because Grandal costs more money and a 2nd round pick.

So you'd give up Barria and the prospects, but you'd keep your 2nd round top 50 pick this year, which should bring a Marsh or Jones,  and you can use the 12M savings (Realmuto is likely to cost 15-16M in Arbitration, whereas Grandal will cost 12-13M per minimum) over the next two years to sign a quality reliever.

With the way Eppler is operating, it would seem he wants to retain our top minor leaguers instead of trading them.

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Would need to do something then with Cozart, since they already have Fletcher and Rengifo for 2B.   Trade Cozart plus half his salary for whatever, which would pretty much make it neutral by signing Moose?   One emerging concern, to go with the lower OBP, is that Moose seems to have declined defensively at 3B?

I'd just move Cozart to 2B, leave La Stella on the bench. Moose at 3B, Bour/Pujols at 1B. 
Moose had positive dWAR last season, up from negative in '17. He's still solid. Tulo could serve the same purpose for a lot less money, but a lot less certainty than Moose. 

Your starting AAA infield would be: 3B Ward, SS Fletcher, 2B Rengifo, 1B Thaiss - talk about having actual depth for once!

Odds are, someone on the starting infield or La Stella will get hurt or struggle - Fletcher is likely your first guy up then. 
If Pujols gets hurt, or if Ohtani is slow returning, or if Bour winds up sucking, Moose can play some 1B too. 

If the Angels need to trade for a SP upgrade midseason, they can pull from the infield prospect depth without hurting the MLB team. 
Things go south, it wouldn't be hard to move any of these vets midseason or 2020 deadline before they hit FA. 

A line-up of Calhoun, Simmons, Trout, Ohtani, Upton, Pujols, Grandal, Moustakas, Cozart is pretty solid.

2 hours ago, Tyler said:

Yikes. I won't state my opinion here to avoid getting hassled for having one, but this is another below expectation move. I just can't commit to seats in support of this... what a waste of a deposit. 

as long as you're not going to state your opinion. . . 

2 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I had actually heard there was pressure to get major league assets.  Which is why you hear them going after guys like Bellinger, Nimmo/Conforto, Rosario and Soto.  Of course they're not going to get that.  And while I don't think a package of Barria, Ward and like an Anderson or Buttrey would get it done, the concept is interesting.  

Things could certainly have changed for Miami since there Nationals ask. I actually think Barria and Ward would get it done without the MLB reliever attached.

8 minutes ago, ettin said:

Things could certainly have changed for Miami since there Nationals ask. I actually think Barria and Ward would get it done without the MLB reliever attached.

I think it would take more than Barria and Ward.

But Barria and Marsh could certainly be the centerpieces along with some lower level farm guys. I think teams are hesitant to trade their young guys but Realmuto is 28 next year, it's not like they are trading for a 33 year old star catcher.

26 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I'd just move Cozart to 2B, leave La Stella on the bench. Moose at 3B, Bour/Pujols at 1B. 
Moose had positive dWAR last season, up from negative in '17. He's still solid. Tulo could serve the same purpose for a lot less money, but a lot less certainty than Moose. 

Your starting AAA infield would be: 3B Ward, SS Fletcher, 2B Rengifo, 1B Thaiss - talk about having actual depth for once!

Odds are, someone on the starting infield or La Stella will get hurt or struggle - Fletcher is likely your first guy up then. 
If Pujols gets hurt, or if Ohtani is slow returning, or if Bour winds up sucking, Moose can play some 1B too. 

If the Angels need to trade for a SP upgrade midseason, they can pull from the infield prospect depth without hurting the MLB team. 
Things go south, it wouldn't be hard to move any of these vets midseason or 2020 deadline before they hit FA. 

A line-up of Calhoun, Simmons, Trout, Ohtani, Upton, Pujols, Grandal, Moustakas, Cozart is pretty solid.

Can they sign both Grandal and Moose though, as that would likely add another $20+ million, putting it at $43-$45+ million added to payroll? 

And they still haven't addressed having a reliable veteran in the pen. 

I figure the Angels had a budget of 35-40 million coming into the Winter because they cut ties with Shoe and Parker.  They've spent at most, 27.5 million, which would leave them with at minimum, 7.5 million left to spend just on 2019.  At the least, they've spent 22.5 million, and have at most, 17.5 million to spend. 

So between 7.5 and 17.5 million to spend. 

So depending on your view, they may only have enough to spend on a low cost catcher or they have enough to grab a hitter like Moustakas and a catcher, and maybe even a reliever. 

It's probably somewhere in the middle, like 12.5 million to spend.  So basically a low-cost catcher and since Eppler doesn't spend on the bullpen, maybe a Tulo type of splash.  

Pretty much the least exciting offseason ever, and more than likely an 85 win team. But that's kind of what Eppler was shooting for.  An 85 win team that if things break right, they have the freedom to upgrade at the deadline and end up winning 93 games and making the playoffs.  Or, if things don't go right, and Harvey sucks and/or is hurt and the same with Cahill, then the Angels end up being a 78 win team. 

I guess my biggest issue is that the A's are probably going to be infusing Jesus Lazardo and A.J. Puk into their rotation this season.  And for a team in need of pitching, adding two front end of the rotation arms like that, still makes them dangerous, and it isn't as if Houston is going away.  So basically the Angels have to get lucky and the A's and Rays have to be unlucky.  Not the best spot to be in. 

1 minute ago, Angel Oracle said:

Can they sign both Grandal and Moose though, as that would likely add another $20+ million, putting it at $43-$45+ million added to payroll? 

Moose would definitely put them over - but it wouldn't be by much, and presumably, my hope would be they get Grandal for 3 yrs and Moose for 2, so it wouldn't be anything too long to commit too. And it'd mean basically no additional moves for the pitching staff or 4th OF - which I'm nervously okay with. Throw some ST invites at relievers and hope they stick like Norris and Petit. It's such a minimal commitment it wouldn't be too far-fetched to think it's possible. 

They'd have to be had for something like...
Grandal: 3/$36m-45m
Moose: 2/$16-$20m 

Maybe that happens? Maybe not. Maybe they like Tulo for a lot less than Moose. I'm just looking at Moose's 2/$18m projection on MLBTR, recalling his interest last offseason, and the total lack of activity on the infielder market and seeing it as a great opportunity. 

Using BBRef's somewhat unrealistic projections:
SS Simmons - .275/.327/.403/.730 - 11 HR
CF Trout - .299/.429/.571/.999 - 30 HR
DH Ohtani - .273/.347/.510/.858 - 19 HR
LF Upton - .252/.334/.469/.803 - 27 HR
1B Pujols - .239/.290/.396/.686 - 19 HR or 1B Bour - .248/.339/.440/.780 - 21 HR
3B Moustakas - .253/.311/.469/.779 - 28 HR
C Grandal - .237/.326/.447/.773 - 23 HR
2B Cozart - .251/.325/.431/.756 - 12 HR
RF Calhoun - .235/.314/.388/.701 - 16 HR

It's a good blend of power and OBP and L/R mix and match.