• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Trevor Cahill

33 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I still don't understand the notion that because the Angels didn't 'try to win' in 2019-2020 it will affect Trout's decision on whether or not to re-sign.
He was here when we 'tried to win' 2011-2015 and all it did was eff up 2016-2020 by clogging payroll and killing the farm. 

If we did that again now, what's to say it doesn't eff up 2020-25?

I'd think re-upping with an Angels team with a loaded farm, young core, and flexible payroll sometime in 19-20 to set the team up for 2020-25 would be a lot more appealing. 

the office thank you GIF

3 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

If we sign Kikuchi, would people be on board with making Barria the centerpiece of a Realmuto trade?  

I would...I'm not sure Barria gets any better 3.41 ERA 122 ERA+ 1.268 WHIP so we might be selling high on him in this trade using that club control to our advantage

3 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

If we sign Kikuchi, would people be on board with making Barria the centerpiece of a Realmuto trade?  

Id rather sign Grandal and keep Barria.  Giving up a 2nd pick would suck for the Grandal signing but I view Barria higher than that, plus add additional prospects on top of that...no thank you.

9 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

Yes, but he's had an ERA under 4.00 4 out of 6 times that he's been a full time starter in his career. There were two years where he switched between a starting role and bullpen role.  So he's capable of pitching to an ERA in the 3.75 - 3.99 range, which is more than fine. I know it's not flashy, but Eppler is building for something bigger down the road. He wants to have a contender by the time Mike Trout is ready to sign an extension. These one year deals show that.

My point is just that every time the Angels make a move or someone brings up one of their current pitchers on here, there are a few people who just assume it's a given that they're going to put up 3.20-3.50 ERAs.  It's hysterical.

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

I do.  An improved farm system.  So I'm buying now.  

improved yes, but as you yourself admitted the org as a whole will need help to realize that potential.  No matter not the point of this thread dont want to go there again it will solve itself itn time 

3 minutes ago, floplag said:

improved yes, but as you yourself admitted the org as a whole will need help to realize that potential.  No matter not the point of this thread dont want to go there again it will solve itself itn time 

and they'll provide that help once the time is right.  Therefore, I'm buying now.  

Personally, I’m fine with this rotation, unless a big trade can be pulled off involving Heaney, Barria, or Skaggs as a key piece that brings back someone like Bauer, Kluber, deGrom, Greinke, etc. They have pieces to upgrade midseason if situation calls for it.

I’d love to see Grandal at 3/$36m, instead of Kikuchi, how about Moustakas at 2/$18m?? and several relievers on ST/low dollar deals - Carson Smith, Soria, Thornburg, Holland, Hudson, Randall Delgado, etc.

That’d be a very solid lineup, a flexible albeit risky bullpen, a rotation with some upside, and no prospects lost, save the comp pick for Grandal.

10 minutes ago, floplag said:

Well opinions vary on this one but the man himself has made it clear he wants to play meaningful baseball. 

I guess the simplest way to put this is if someone asks you to buy stock that has shown a loss in value for the last few years you are going to have a hard time justifying the investment in that as opposed to one whose value has been rising.    Weve spent the last 3 years in the red, we need to get back to the green.    I think winning a wild card would go along way to showing progress in that regard.

Oh and not to nitpick, but we arent exactly a loaded farm either.  WE have 1 legit possible star, a handful of very good guys and a lot of potentially average major leaguers.  Its going to take some outside influx regardless even assuming we keep the core intact. 

And despite the trainwrecks of our rotation injuries, we've been in at least the WC card late into the season in recent years, 2018 excluded. 

And the farm isn't quite loaded yet, but if Eppler continues to add to it and not touch it for another two seasons, gotta think it will be in great shape come 2020. 

As of this moment, the Angels team 2020 and beyond looks pretty appealing.

13 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

My point is just that every time the Angels make a move or someone brings up one of their current pitchers on here, there are a few people who just assume it's a given that they're going to put up 3.20-3.50 ERAs.  It's hysterical.

So I agree that expectations should be reined in here, I mean the guy did sign a 1-year, $9M deal, the expectation is that he will eat up innings as a back-end starter.

He is a high GB% pitcher so if the Angels have a high quality infield defense in place (which they should overall, still waiting to see what they decide to do at 3B)  that could get Cahill closer to his FIP from 2018 which was 3.54.

Just have to wait and see how this pans out. Eppler is gambling on high quality defense pairing with his GB% to obtain a mid-tier starter's production at a back-end starter's price. It's a value play but nothing is promised.

9 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I agree.  I was just curious of people's thoughts.  

It is possible Doc. Six years of a back of the rotation starter with a touch of upside isn't nothing. However based on the Marlins asks from other teams like the Nationals it really seems like they are leaning towards top-tier prospect talent, not MLB assets.

5 minutes ago, totdprods said:

And despite the trainwrecks of our rotation injuries, we've been in at least the WC card late into the season in recent years, 2018 excluded. 

And the farm isn't quite loaded yet, but if Eppler continues to add to it and not touch it for another two seasons, gotta think it will be in great shape come 2020. 

As of this moment, the Angels team 2020 and beyond looks pretty appealing.

a lot of places look appealing, i dont know i could be wrong i just feel we need to show some actual progress to convince the man, its just my opinion on how it would be if i were him, thats all. 

13 minutes ago, nando714 said:

Again? Lol 

will skaggs ever manage a full major league season . Just to name one 

You would think the best way to test out the theory would be to start with 6 guys who weren't all coming off injuries.... which the Angels haven't done...

But while you're laughing, consider this.... Skaggs reached a career high in MLB innings and games started... Also two of the other ouchie boys are gone.   Ohtani will still likely force them into  6 man rotation so they may as well tinker with it.  I have no clue if it will lead to fewer injuries but they have nothing to lose by giving it another look ....particularly if the plan is to return to the 6 man when Ohtani gets back on the mound... Hell, it might even be a selling card to Kikuchi.

1 minute ago, ettin said:

It is possible Doc. Six years of a back of the rotation starter with a touch of upside isn't nothing. However based on the Marlins asks from other teams like the Nationals it really seems like they are leaning towards top-tier prospect talent, not MLB assets.

I had actually heard there was pressure to get major league assets.  Which is why you hear them going after guys like Bellinger, Nimmo/Conforto, Rosario and Soto.  Of course they're not going to get that.  And while I don't think a package of Barria, Ward and like an Anderson or Buttrey would get it done, the concept is interesting.  

29 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Absolutely, but also think I’d prefer simply signing Grandal and keeping Barria. 

Instead of buying another low/mid-tier arm, I think I’d see if Moose could be had for 1-2 years around $8-10m AAV. Adding the OBP that Bour, La Stella, and Grandal brings really negates Moose’s troubles there, and he’ll give you good defense, another lefty bat, and more power. Really well-rounded lineup. Lots of IF versatility. Lots of 1B depth. No long deals, no prospects lost.