• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Trevor Cahill

6 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

they won't be.  they're already not actually.  We've got some good players.  We just need the kids to replace the crappy ones.  Of course it's not going to be the perfect puzzle, but then once the cheap controllable talent starts to roll in, you supplement in other areas.  

The key component over the next couple years is finding out which young players are going to actually contribute.  

agreed 100%.  Though i have to think they have a pretty good idea who should barring someone really stepping up.  A year ago Regnifo wasnt really on that radar and he is now due to a breakout 18.  Someone hopefully will have an equally impressive 19.
I still think Jones is a complete sell high option in trade talks

15 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

Also, it is getting more and more evident that, with the pitchers we've acquired, Eppler intends to go with a 6-man rotation again.

I'm guessing Skaggs, Harvey, Cahill, Heaney, Pena and Barria Seth Rollins Tropeano...also likely means that we not re-signing Shoemaker after non-tendering him.

FIFY

Not a huge fan of this move, but I'm not completely opposed. 

Pros: Cahill's stuff has maintained, he's clearly a good for a 3.50 ERA and a lot of K's.  His signing probably doesn't eliminate the Angels from signing Yusei Kikuchi or even perhaps trading for Bauer or Kluber.  It's just a one year deal, so if he sucks, he won't haunt the Angels long term.  Harvey and Cahill together are a heck of a lot better than what the Angels got collectively from their #4 and #5 spots in the rotation last year. 

Cons: Let's face it, Billy Eppler said he wanted to get steady pitchers that can eat up innings, and he just spent 20 million on two pitchers with significant injury history.  Trevor Cahill hasn't thrown more than 110 innings in the last 5 fives.  He hasn't thrown 200 in seven years.  And if the Angels are looking for front of the rotation production to get them to the playoffs, this isn't it.  Not exactly sure how Mike Trout views these one year deals.  The Angels have money to spend, and yet they aren't spending it.  Not even sure if he wants to stay or not.  Maybe they're saving for his extension.  I don't know. 

Overall: These aren't the sort of moves that move the needle much, but if Skaggs and Heaney have the years they had last year, and the Angels upgrade their offense AND they land Kikuchi, then suddenly this is a playoff team.  It's doubtful they'll do it, but again, this is looking like an 80-85 win team.

LOL at the Harvey and Cahill signings.

It’s obvious that their priority isn’t competing this year and as a fan it’s tough to be anything other than pissed off.

Well that basically does it for the budget this offseason. Come the start of June we’ll already be talking about next years offseason. What a rush.

1 minute ago, CanadianHalo said:

It’s obvious that their priority isn’t competing this year and as a fan it’s tough to be anything other than pissed off.

Well that basically does it for the budget this offseason. Come the start of June we’ll already be talking about next years offseason. What a rush.

And, yet, as a fan, I'm not pissed off...

2 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Pros: Cahill's stuff has maintained, he's clearly a good for a 3.50 ERA

Here we go again with someone claiming an Angels pitcher is going to have  a 3.50 ERA.  Cahill has had an ERA below 3.76 as a starter exactly once in his career, in 2010.

1 minute ago, Second Base said:

Pros: Cahill's stuff has maintained, he's clearly a good for a 3.50 ERA and a lot of K's.  His signing probably doesn't eliminate the Angels from signing Yusei Kikuchi or even perhaps trading for Bauer or Kluber.  It's just a one year deal, so if he sucks, he won't haunt the Angels long term.  Harvey and Cahill together are a heck of a lot better than what the Angels got collectively from their #4 and #5 spots in the rotation last year. 

Cons: Let's face it, Billy Eppler said he wanted to get steady pitchers that can eat up innings, and he just spent 20 million on two pitchers with significant injury history.  Trevor Cahill hasn't thrown more than 110 innings in the last 5 fives.  He hasn't thrown 200 in seven years.  And if the Angels are looking for front of the rotation production to get them to the playoffs, this isn't it.  Not exactly sure how Mike Trout views these one year deals.  The Angels have money to spend, and yet they aren't spending it.  Not even sure if he wants to stay or not.  Maybe they're saving for his extension.  I don't know. 

Overall: These aren't the sort of moves that move the needle much, but if Skaggs and Heaney have the years they had last year, and the Angels upgrade their offense AND they land Kikuchi, then suddenly this is a playoff team.  It's doubtful they'll do it, but again, this is looking like an 80-85 win team.

I don't get saving for the Trout ext, wouldn't it be just adding additional 5-7 mil based on what he is making now?  

I think we end the offseason by signing Kikuchi and Grandal.  

5 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

Riveting. Tell me more.

Just now, mulwin444 said:

Also, if the Angels end up signing Kikuchi, your rotation is (likely):

Kikuchi, Skaggs, Harvey, Heaney, Cahill and Barria starting 2019 for a 3 LHP/3 RHP split with "long relievers" Pena and Tropeano available as depth and J.C. Ramirez coming back from Rehab

I like it!  Lock in Grandal at catcher and we are looking good.  

4 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I still don't understand the notion that because the Angels didn't 'try to win' in 2019-2020 it will affect Trout's decision on whether or not to re-sign.
He was here when we 'tried to win' 2011-2015 and all it did was eff up 2016-2020 by clogging payroll and killing the farm. 

If we did that again now, what's to say it doesn't eff up 2020-25?

I'd think re-upping with an Angels team with a loaded farm, young core, and flexible payroll sometime in 19-20 to set the team up for 2020-25 would be a lot more appealing. 

Well opinions vary on this one but the man himself has made it clear he wants to play meaningful baseball. 

I guess the simplest way to put this is if someone asks you to buy stock that has shown a loss in value for the last few years you are going to have a hard time justifying the investment in that as opposed to one whose value has been rising.    Weve spent the last 3 years in the red, we need to get back to the green.    I think winning a wild card would go along way to showing progress in that regard.

Oh and not to nitpick, but we arent exactly a loaded farm either.  WE have 1 legit possible star, a handful of very good guys and a lot of potentially average major leaguers.  Its going to take some outside influx regardless even assuming we keep the core intact.