• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Trevor Cahill

5 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Yeah, this is my concern, too.  I mean, I GUESS I get the logic of it from a certain standpoint, but it seems like they're putting an awful lot of eggs in the prospect basket.

Its clear that the Angel way going forward, and thats fine we need a sustainable model.  But, the kids alone arent going to be enough even if they all pan out.   

Just now, mulwin444 said:

Also, it is getting more and more evident that, with the pitchers we've acquired, Eppler intends to go with a 6-man rotation again.

I'm guessing Skaggs, Harvey, Cahill, Heaney, Pena and Tropeano...also likely means that we not re-signing Shoemaker after non-tendering him.

There's no reason to go with a 6-man now that Ohtani is out of the rotation for 2019. That move was made just to accommodate Ohtani's rotation schedule while in Japan. 

I wouldn’t say this eliminates them from watching the SP market play out still. Not too hard to shift Barria to the AAA, or use him as the 6th man in a pseudo-rotation to control his innings. We need him healthy for the long-term.

If the Angels were to pursue a SP in trade, they could also offer Skaggs, Heaney, or Barria now as well. 

Pure conjecture, but being able to add Barria in a deal for say Bauer or Kluber or Robbie Ray wouldn’t be an awful outcome now, depending on the other players. Or perhaps they flip Skaggs for an IF/C and sign yet another SP still. Maybe Heaney interests the Marlins for Realmuto.

Just now, floplag said:

Its clear that the Angel way going forward, and thats fine we need a sustainable model.  But, the kids alone arent going to be enough even if they all pan out.   

they won't be.  they're already not actually.  We've got some good players.  We just need the kids to replace the crappy ones.  Of course it's not going to be the perfect puzzle, but then once the cheap controllable talent starts to roll in, you supplement in other areas.  

The key component over the next couple years is finding out which young players are going to actually contribute.  

2 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

There's no reason to go with a 6-man now that Ohtani is out of the rotation for 2019. That move was made just to accommodate Ohtani's rotation schedule while in Japan. 

I would be ok with keeping guys fresh if there's enough talent to do so.  If you sign Kikucki, I think you still consider it.  

Just now, Dochalo said:

I would be ok with keeping guys fresh if there's enough talent to do so.  If you sign Kikucki, I think you still consider it.  

True, if we sign Kikucki I'm sure they'll roll with the 6-man for sure since he'll be on regular rest. 

Maybe since we've already deployed the 6-man and Ohtani is coming back to it in '20 that is incentive for Kik to sign here.

Just now, Chuckster70 said:

There's no reason to go with a 6-man now that Ohtani is out of the rotation for 2019. 

The only guy out of those six that was able to pitch a full season was Heaney...

Skaggs missed time due to the abductor injuries

Harvey pitched 155 IP, his most since 2015, with some time out of the BP

Cahill only pitched 110 innings

Barria pitched 129 IP at age 21 and I can't imagine the Angels wanting to push it much beyond that

Tropeano had his season cut short by shoulder inflammation 

Pena had 92.2 IP, his most since 2015, and hasn't pitched much as a starter

With Ohtani coming back in 2020, no workhorses in the rotation, and with a combo of injury prevention, fatigue avoidance and protecting rookies arms, there is a certain logic to a 6-man rotation since they utilize one in 2020 anyway. 

I still don't understand the notion that because the Angels didn't 'try to win' in 2019-2020 it will affect Trout's decision on whether or not to re-sign.
He was here when we 'tried to win' 2011-2015 and all it did was eff up 2016-2020 by clogging payroll and killing the farm. 

If we did that again now, what's to say it doesn't eff up 2020-25?

I'd think re-upping with an Angels team with a loaded farm, young core, and flexible payroll sometime in 19-20 to set the team up for 2020-25 would be a lot more appealing.