• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Trevor Cahill

1 minute ago, mulwin444 said:

And if I do and it's unrelated to the starting rotation?  Are willing to track this and give me updates on my performance?

Let me know, Chief

Yeps.

If this is our opening day rotation you’re good with it and I’m not. Obviously I hope I’m wrong but we’ll see how this one plays out.

6 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Trevor Cahill hasn't thrown more than 110 innings in the last 5

To be fair, a bulk of that is because he was slotted for the bullpen for the season, or was in the process of being stretched back out into a SP. That's also including his season in Arizona where it all fell apart. He has had a lot of here and there's still, so by no means am I declaring him a posterboy for durability.

2 minutes ago, floplag said:

Well opinions vary on this one but the man himself has made it clear he wants to play meaningful baseball. 

I guess the simplest way to put this is if someone asks you to buy stock that has shown a loss in value for the last few years you are going to have a hard time justifying the investment in that as opposed to one whose value has been rising.    Weve spent the last 3 years in the red, we need to get back to the green.    I think winning a wild card would go along way to showing progress in that regard.

Oh and not to nitpick, but we arent exactly a loaded farm either.  WE have 1 legit possible star, a handful of very good guys and a lot of potentially average major leaguers.  Its going to take some outside influx regardless even assuming we keep the core intact. 

I thought the way you make money in the stock market is to buy low before the price starts rising to maximize your return.

2 minutes ago, floplag said:

Well opinions vary on this one but the man himself has made it clear he wants to play meaningful baseball. 

I guess the simplest way to put this is if someone asks you to buy stock that has shown a loss in value for the last few years you are going to have a hard time justifying the investment in that as opposed to one whose value has been rising.    Weve spent the last 3 years in the red, we need to get back to the green.    I think winning a wild card would go along way to showing progress in that regard.

Oh and not to nitpick, but we arent exactly a loaded farm either.  WE have 1 legit possible star, a handful of very good guys and a lot of potentially average major leaguers.  Its going to take some outside influx regardless even assuming we keep the core intact. 

this is the opposite of what you should do.  Buy stock when the price is down and it's undervalued.  

9 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

Also, if the Angels end up signing Kikuchi, your rotation is (likely):

Kikuchi, Skaggs, Harvey, Heaney, Cahill and Barria starting 2019 for a 3 LHP/3 RHP split with "long relievers" Pena and Tropeano available as depth and J.C. Ramirez coming back from Rehab

Are we maintaining the 6 man rotation from last or are we going back to having a 5 man rotation? 

I actually like this signing a lot more than the Harvey signing.  Injury concerns aside here's my reasoning.

1) Last season, Cahill had better stats and better peripherals pitching in the AL West than Harvey did pitching in the weak NL central, albeit with less innings.

2) If Cahill falters as a starting pitcher, he has relief experience. 

3) He's cheaper than Harvey which makes him easier to trade if the Angels fall out of contention. 

5 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Here we go again with someone claiming an Angels pitcher is going to have  a 3.50 ERA.  Cahill has had an ERA below 3.76 as a starter exactly once in his career, in 2010.

Yes, but he's had an ERA under 4.00 4 out of 6 times that he's been a full time starter in his career. There were two years where he switched between a starting role and bullpen role.  So he's capable of pitching to an ERA in the 3.75 - 3.99 range, which is more than fine. I know it's not flashy, but Eppler is building for something bigger down the road. He wants to have a contender by the time Mike Trout is ready to sign an extension. These one year deals show that.

Interesting, signing. I've just never been in love with former A's pitchers due to their ability to pitch outstanding at home with those large foul territory areas. And completely average to meh on the road. There has been more than a few reclamation projects who have gone to Oakland succeeded and went on to sign larger contracts. Cahill made 1.5M last year and he just received a 9M 1 year deal? I think that's a huge over pay. As long as we win more than we lose next year. I guess, I will wait to see the entire roster build for next season. Can't wait to watch SPT.

Cahill's ex. from last year 2018.

Home 5 1 .833 1.84
Away 2 3 .400 6.41
LAA-Angel Stad 1 0 1.000 4.15

vs.

2010 his 18-8 season

Home 11 3 .786 2.18
Away 7 5 .583 3.86
LAA-Angel Stad 0 1 .000 3.86

2011 season

Home 6 8 .429 3.20
Away 6 6 .500 5.23
LAA-Angel Stad 0 1 .000 4.50

10 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

LOL at the Harvey and Cahill signings.

It’s obvious that their priority isn’t competing this year and as a fan it’s tough to be anything other than pissed off.

Well that basically does it for the budget this offseason. Come the start of June we’ll already be talking about next years offseason. What a rush.

Ive been as vocal as anyone in regard to this, but i disagree.  
If they were just looking for warm bodies they could have done it very differently. 
They went with 2 guys that could in fact be much better than what they were paid even though both were in my opinion overpays to one degree or another.   
You look for example at what Happ got, then you look at these, and they look a lot better.  
The job isnt done, but if Epp can somehow fit a Grandal in the mix or make a deal for a C option hat doesnt hurt the top guys, well be right in the WC mix perhaps even the favorites for it.  

49 minutes ago, floplag said:

Of coiurse, but were going to need more than the kids though is what i mean. 
Its not worse at all, possibly better than either of those 2.  

Good thing they will have payroll space to add guys again next year when they might be closer, and the kids are further along.

Edited by Inside Pitch

2 minutes ago, Barrett said:

Are we maintaining the 6 man rotation from last or are we going back to having a 5 man rotation? 

My belief, since Eppler hasn't come out and said it, is we will either do a solid 6 man or quasi-6-man rotation where a swing starter pitches on off days although I think a solid 6-man would be likely give you more consistent performances.

If guys can stay healthy into June, maybe it goes to a 5 man but there are a lot of bodies to spread the innings around with on the roster right now.

50 minutes ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

WAR the last 5 years:

2014:  -1.6

2015: -0.3

2016: 1.0

2017: 0.3

2018: 1.3

9 Million dollars doesn't buy you what it used to. Does this mean we're not going after Kikuchi anymore? Our starting pitching acquisitions are Facking Matt Harvey and Trevor Cahill?

I’d rather put Cahill in the pen

Just now, Dochalo said:

If we sign Kikuchi, would people be on board with making Barria the centerpiece of a Realmuto trade?  

i would

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Good thing they will have to payroll space to add guys again next year when they might be closer, and the kids are further along.

of course, would just be nice to have some of those questions answered sooner rather than later is all.  But you are obviously correct. 

6 minutes ago, aznhockeyguy said:

I actually like this signing a lot more than the Harvey signing.  Injury concerns aside here's my reasoning.

1) Last season, Cahill had better stats and better peripherals pitching in the AL West than Harvey did pitching in the weak NL central, albeit with less innings.

2) If Cahill falters as a starting pitcher, he has relief experience. 

3) He's cheaper than Harvey which makes him easier to trade if the Angels fall out of contention. 

To be fair to Harvey though, regarding #1, he pitched mainly in hitting friendly parks (Cincy, St. L., Milw., and Chicago).