• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Trevor Cahill

By 2020, 7 main starters to choose 6 from should be Ohtani, Heaney, Barria, Skaggs, Canning, Suarez, and Sandoval.   Only Heaney will have not been originally with the Halos at the beginning of their pro careers.   

Does seem like Cahill pitches much better as a starter, vs as a reliever.    Going back into the rotation does seem to have righted the ship some for him, after a bad few seasons mostly out of the pen.   

3 minutes ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

WAR the last 5 years:

2014:  -1.6

2015: -0.3

2016: 1.0

2017: 0.3

2018: 1.3

9 Million dollars doesn't buy you what it used to. Does this mean we're not going after Kikuchi anymore? Our starting pitching acquisitions are Facking Matt Harvey and Trevor Cahill?

Maybe we’ll win 83 games instead of 79 this season

3 minutes ago, floplag said:

H@mulwin444
Im still very disturbed that we seem completely uncommitted to the future aside from waiting on the kids but that appears to be the road were taking.   Right now they are setting themselves up for either life with Trout, or trading him, i find this not very comforting.

Yeah, this is my concern, too.  I mean, I GUESS I get the logic of it from a certain standpoint, but it seems like they're putting an awful lot of eggs in the prospect basket.

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

I think that’s two guys I asked for.  The dollars are much higher than I expected.  

i was thinking the same thing when I first saw this.  Yet i think they were both in line for multi year deals.  Had we committed a 2nd year to each, I think the AAV comes down by 30%.  

Just now, Dochalo said:

would be a bummer if this took us out of the running for Kikuchi.  

i dont think it does assuming the estimate of 6-7 is accurate.  
If we had 24M, we now have about 15.  If we are talking to Grandal, thats probably a 12-13M per check, Kukichi at maybe 7... its about 5M over the budget.  not unreasonable. 

1 minute ago, floplag said:

Im still very disturbed that we seem completely uncommitted to the future aside from waiting on the kids but that appears to be the road were taking.   Right now they are setting themselves up for either life with Trout, or trading him, i find this not very comforting.

Waiting on the kids IS committing to the future...

Also, I am not seeing how this is worse than a 3 year deal to Lynn or 2 years+option to a late-30's Happ.

There are not many great fits in Free Agency right now so Eppler is finding the best deals that still fit within his plan.

As for Trout, there are more options "life without Trout" and "Trading Trout".

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

would be a bummer if this took us out of the running for Kikuchi.  

Agreed, although maybe they are hoping to stack depth in the SP department after what happened the last couple years. 

Stash Barria in AAA to start the season and roll with Skaggs, Kickuchi?, Heaney, Harvey and Cahill in the rotation.

AAA rotation would be Barria, Canning, Suarez, Peters, Cole/Smith, JC Ramirez etc 

Thats some solid depth, imo. 

Im sure Lou will find this post in 2019 and I agree the F*ck out of it 

2 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Yeah, this is my concern, too.  I mean, I GUESS I get the logic of it from a certain standpoint, but it seems like they're putting an awful lot of eggs in the prospect basket.

as has every team that is good right now.  once the prospects started to contribute, they supplemented with FA's and trades.  It's the one tried and true method of winning in baseball that has stayed the same among significant change otherwise.  

Just now, mulwin444 said:

Waiting on the kids IS committing to the future...

Also, I am not seeing how this is worse than a 3 year deal to Lynn or 2 years+option to a late-30's Happ.

There are not many great fits in Free Agency right now so Eppler is finding the best deals that still fit within his plan.

As for Trout, there are more options "life without Trout" and "Trading Trout".

Of coiurse, but were going to need more than the kids though is what i mean. 
Its not worse at all, possibly better than either of those 2.