• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Pujols has been terrible

I think it is far too premature to discuss his retirement... but it is not too early to start talking about his lack of production. Is he hurting (more than normal)? Does he need some rest? His retirement is a long way off, so the team needs to be looking at just how they intend to get the most out of him going forward. At some point... before the 'retirement' talk happens, there will need to be a discussion about keeping him out of the lineup.

48 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

LOL this thread got interesting. In all seriousness, I wasn't serious about Jeff actually asking Pujols that question. Sorry if I came off like an ass. 

But let's not act like if there was someone playing better that Pujols would be out of the line up. 

When Trout comes back you can bet we'll see EY moved back to the bench. Whether or not EY is still hitting over .300 by then is the only real question.

43 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I don't "want him to quit". . .I am a huge Pujols fan.  I simply think it is obviously time to start learning where he is mentally on his plan.  The performance this year is notable.  A fair FAN of both him and the team has this subject surging in their brain right now.

If you have read anything he's said in the last few months -- the USA Today story was just one that I picked out quickly -- you know that already.

I don't think it changes with every 20 at-bats.

"Hey Albert, I know what you said 2 weeks ago, but you've gone 4-for-25 since then. What do you think now?"

"How about now?"

"What about now?"

There are natural points where you revisit this stuff, beginnings and endings of seasons, after extended slumps (not 2 weeks) or at times of injuries. This doesn't qualify as one of those times.

yeah, i don't know what the fuck that dude is rambling on about. plenty of shit has been posted where albert has given the same or consistent answer, what's badgering him with the same question going to do but make jeff look unprofessional and likely have him on the outs with the players?

not only that, but i'm 99.9% sure albert is not going to be persuaded to retire because a reporter asked him the question and planted some sort of seed.

this dude is just being ridiculous.

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

Yeah that was a mistake and I think I explained the context and subsequent post.  Not personal.  Should have worded differently to make it generic.  Lots of people in that business wont ask hard questions.  That's real.

I don't know Jeff.  I just would like the subject pushed.

What is your definition of pushed?

Albert has killed the team this year. His slash line is bad for any position, and horrendous for a DH. He is done. His numbers have trended down year over year, his body is old and broken, and he is too stubborn to make adjustments. 

But as long as he is on the payroll, the team will continue to trot him out there every game, batting third/fourth. We will hear lots of quotes about how productive Albert is when he is right, how he is a proven performer with a track record, and how he just needs to make a few minor adjustments to get back on track. 

2 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

What is your definition of pushed?

Fair question.

And quick disclaimer. . .I don't pay attention to everything 24 7 like I did years ago so it could be under.my nose and I dont see.it.  But here is my answer:

I think the subject of him managing his own exit from the game should be an openly discussed subject.  Asking pointed questions about how much he has considered how to do it and the timing and whether he would likely announce his last season or keep it to himself. . .all those respectful angles in the context of "what does the final chapter of this great book look like?"

As I said maybe those answers are there and my schedule and check in habits have kept me from seeing it.

I am just a fan more interested in knowing the answer now more than ever and that is almost entirely because his level of production has, for me, brought the subject into focus now.

35 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I'll still bet you whatever you want that he will retire before the end of his contract with every dime that Arte agreed to pay him. 

fixed 

All joking aside Strad, I really do think that Arte will have to buy him out at full cost. Don't kid yourself, Albert has a grandiose opinion of himself and believes that he's already earned the money and that it was a gift from God. Arte is just picking up the tab for his MLB past. He will claim that he needs the money to keep his foundation going. 

1 minute ago, CALZONE said:

fixed 

All joking aside Strad, I really do think that Arte will have to buy him out at full cost. Don't kid yourself, Albert has a grandiose opinion of himself and believes that he's already earned the money and that it was a gift from God. Arte is just picking up the tab for his MLB past. He will claim that he needs the money to keep his foundation going. 

My guess is this detail was covered long ago at the time of signing.

I would bet they have agreed he gets every penny regardless of exit year.

That's my guess and it comes from believing there is no way on earth the Angels every believed he would be productive through age 42 and that length of contract was simply financing.

What's upsetting is that there's a lot of 1b and DH types that are at least league average out there and some how both positions are massive black holes for the Angels.  It's really hard to be enthusiastic about our near or even mid term prospects sometimes. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

3 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Fair question.

And quick disclaimer. . .I don't pay attention to everything 24 7 like I did years ago so it could be under.my nose and I dont see.it.  But here is my answer:

I think the subject of him managing his own exit from the game should be an openly discussed subject.  Asking pointed questions about how much he has considered how to do it and the timing and whether he would likely announce his last season or keep it to himself. . .all those respectful angles in the context of "what does the final chapter of this great book look like?"

As I said maybe those answers are there and my schedule and check in habits have kept me from seeing it.

I am just a fan more interested in knowing the answer now more than ever and that is almost entirely because his level of production has, for me, brought the subject into focus now.

Read the USA Today story.

2 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

My guess is this detail was covered long ago at the time of signing.

I would bet they have agreed he gets every penny regardless of exit year.

That's my guess and it comes from believing there is no way on earth the Angels every believed he would be productive through age 42 and that length of contract was simply financing.

I think when signed him to a guaranteed $240 million contract ... that was a pretty strong hint that they expected to pay him $240 million.

How about this? Give him about 40 M via NDA at end of 2017 and offer options for 3 yrs to become Latin czar of scouting.  Face of Latin baseball so to speak. Also throw in a couple of Mil to his charity. Think that could work?  Be gentle with me please.

Johndw

I don't really understand the notion of Fletch (and anyone else in the media) being responsible for asking Albert about his situation.  Who gives a fart what Albert tells the media at this point?  It's not Jeff's job to push Albert into quitting as much as it's not Albert's job to bail the team out of a bad contract.  

If I am Albert, my answer to any question in terms of retirement would be that I am going to keep going out there and give my best as long as my name keeps showing up in the lineup.  

Jeff's question about who would replace Albert is fair.   Considering that Albert is hitting below replacement level overall but driving in runs above and beyond what his numbers would indicate, it's a bit of a coin toss.  Couple that with Albert's track record and the fact that he tends to heat up as the year goes on, I am not sure there is a solid answer.  

My questions, which I think are fair would be:

1.  Is Albert hurt more so than usual? (personally, I think this question is a good one right now because it addresses the fact that he's clearly struggling and that everyone sees it but it's not directly offensive.  If they don't elaborate on the answer, then I'd let it go.)

2.  At what point do Albert's struggles warrant a conversation about him taking a couple days off or moving down in the lineup?  

Even now, the timing isn't all that appropriate for the 2nd question.  But if he's still struggling when Trout comes back, I think it's fair to ask any questions that specifically relates to the teams performance relative to any specific player.  I want to know what the plan is for this year.  I want to know how we're going to compete and win ball games in 2017.  As long as the questions are focused on the season in front of us, I think that's fair game.  

It's not Albert responsibility to take himself out of the lineup.  

1 hour ago, CALZONE said:

fixed 

Ok so you don't want to place a wager even though you are sure you are right?  Sounds about right for you, all talk.  

Pujols has said he would retire if his performance was bad enough to be almost embarrassing. The 600th home run earlier this year was a very fun experience and he deserved all the attention he received. With that said, his overall performance has been utterly terrible this year. A #4 hitter should not be hitting 27% worse than the league average hitter on a team that is trying to remain competitive. There's basically nobody to replace Pujols himself at DH but the question should be who can replace his spot in the current order?

Yeah, he's driving in runs but that's a complete byproduct of Mike Trout and Cameron Maybin getting the bulk of the at bats in front of him. When Trout returns, they seriously need to consider running a Maybin-Calhoun-Trout-Simmons top of the order and bump Pujols down to 5-6. This offseason, they need to add another legit bat to slot behind Trout and bump Pujols out of a productive lineup spot for good.