• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Pujols has been terrible

56 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

A Fangraphs piece on Albert's limp to 3000 hits (didn't think another thread was necessary):

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/albert-pujols-and-the-crawl-to-3000-hits/

The bottom line: Combining the year of and before reaching 3000, Albert's is the weakest limp to the finish in major league history.

I personally don't think Scioscia will pull the plug this year, but that this is his last year as a regular. He'll platoon next year, and may even go into a "soft platoon" by the end of this year.

tenor.gif

Pujols ego won't allow that. This is the dude who said he was happy with his season last year because he got to 100 RBI

Pujols said he pushed himself to play following the December procedure on his right plantar fascia. He said during the season he was bothered in May by a sore hamstring and in early September by a knee he jammed on a slide into second, but he’s OK now.

Considering that, he said he’s satisfied with the numbers he produced, most specifically a 14th season of 100 RBIs, equaling Alex Rodriguez’s major league record.

While other teams may view him as still better than his 2017 stats indicate, there has still been a significant discussion in the media this season of his decline. His WAR (-1.6 on Baseball-Reference and -1.8 on Fangraphs) rank him among the worst players in baseball. Those numbers may be misleading because of the weight placed on fielding and baserunning, which are obviously weaknesses now for Pujols.

Pujols is clear on the negative reports about him.

“I (couldn’t) care less about you guys,” Pujols said, referring to the media. “I don’t play for you guys. I (couldn’t) care less about what you guys write. You can criticize whatever you want. One hundred RBIs … I’ll take that every time.”

I might retract my prediction that he doesn't start next year. Why? Because there's no one to really push him out of being the starter, unless Matt Thaiss actually starts looking like a first round draft pick, and/or the rest of the lineup doesn't compensate. But if the lineup is reasonably good and Thaiss continues being Thaiss, then Pujols probably retains his job for at least another year.