• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Pujols has been terrible

2 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Nothing would be better for the Halos than to find out Albert is 2 or 3 years older than his stated age.  If it were to give them a chance to void the last two years of the deal and the personal services contract, that would be huge.  

Or Arte and co. already knew which makes things worse.  

I understand how Albert retiring today would be good for the team, but why would voiding his personal services contract be "huge"? Will his FOOPS (Front Office OPS) be lackluster?

Wow, that seems pretty legit. 

Now if Albert was really born in 1977 and is 41, that means he'll be 42, 43, and 44 for the last three years of his contract. 

From 1901 on (the start of the AL and thus the two leagues), among players that qualify (502+ PA), there have been only four player seasons age 41 and older of over 2 fWAR, and only eleven player seasons of a positive fWAR.

Think about that: In 117 years, a 41+ year old has only ever had a positive fWAR eleven times! And Yaz accounts for two of the eleven.

As far as wRC+ goes, only seven player seasons are 100+.

One final thing: No 43-year old has ever had enough PA to qualify for the batting title. Calton Fisk had 2.2 fWAR in 1991 as a 43 year old in 501 PA - the only 2+ fWAR season of age 43 or older.

Interesting note: Of 44+ year olds, Julio Franco has five of the top eight fWAR seasons, ages 44-48.

On 4/9/2018 at 12:22 PM, SuperTroopers said:

Well he did talk to Ohtani about getting rid of the high leg kick.   

On 4/9/2018 at 12:37 PM, yk9001 said:

Link?

On 4/9/2018 at 2:25 PM, yk9001 said:

Not buying that Pujols is a jedi batting coach for superstars for one second.

On 4/9/2018 at 2:29 PM, SuperTroopers said:

So I made it up?  Cool story bro.  

It was Hinske.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/23298771/shohei-ohtani-made-one-small-step-way-mlb-success

Shortly after the Los Angeles Angels wrapped up spring training in Arizona, Hinske, in his first season as the team's hitting coach, asked Ohtani whether he would consider ditching his traditional high leg kick and replacing it with a subtle toe tap.

3 hours ago, LHalo said:

It was Hinske.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/23298771/shohei-ohtani-made-one-small-step-way-mlb-success

Shortly after the Los Angeles Angels wrapped up spring training in Arizona, Hinske, in his first season as the team's hitting coach, asked Ohtani whether he would consider ditching his traditional high leg kick and replacing it with a subtle toe tap.

Yep, like I said to someone else, I heard it from one of our guys, not sure if it was Gubi, Victor or maybe Roger Lodge.   My bad for trusting the local source.   

.258 OBP is just....putrid!   His XBH's (10 so far) are up from a year ago at this time, but that almost putrid .239 BA keeps the SLG% from being more than barely over .400.

I originally thought playing through 2019 would be fine, so he could pass Mays for 5th on career HRs list.   But with an OPS again under .700 so far, October/November 2018 retirement looks better every day.

It's back to Ghost Pujols again. 

A Fangraphs piece on Albert's limp to 3000 hits (didn't think another thread was necessary):

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/albert-pujols-and-the-crawl-to-3000-hits/

The bottom line: Combining the year of and before reaching 3000, Albert's is the weakest limp to the finish in major league history.

I personally don't think Scioscia will pull the plug this year, but that this is his last year as a regular. He'll platoon next year, and may even go into a "soft platoon" by the end of this year.