• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Pujols has been terrible

25 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

This thread is gonna endure beyond even the Trump thread on the politics forum.  He's just going to get worse. 

140 million.  This dude is not going anywhere. 

If only MLB could make a rule change so the Angels could save money on Pujols in the next time he gets injured by putting him on Long Term injured reserve like the Ducks did with Simon Despres before buying him out after being medically cleared. MLB needs that rule. Or if Pujols could try steroids & get caught. Despres is headed to KHL.

Still Pujols contract is not as bad as when the Flyers gave Ilya Bryzgalov a 9 year deal.

19 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

You guys don't need me to tell you what the Angels should do or what I think they should do. 

All I do is try to explain to you what they think, based on my conversations with them. I spent a half hour in Scioscia's office in Seattle talking about Pujols.

If you disagree, that's OK. You aren't disagreeing with me, though. You're disagreeing with them. 

If you don't care what they think, that's OK too. 

I would be curious to know if, based on your conversations,  do you think Pujols would be back next year if he had only a six year contract?

On 8/26/2017 at 8:27 AM, yk9001 said:

Most of us here have followed the team for decades. We realized long ago that listening to Mike Scoscia is like listening to Baghdad Bob.  Mike may be willfully obtuse , or batshit crazy, I don't know which one. But the words that come out of his mouth are utterly useless.

Scioscia's words mean nothing. All we can go on are his actions.

On 8/26/2017 at 9:24 AM, beatlesrule said:

.257 is still terrible.  The Pujols contract is one of the worst ever. I don't know the exact math but Arte got a horrible return on his investment. Combine that with Scioscia or Pujols or both refusing to hit lower in the line-up and you have an anti winning combo. 

I think its clear to all of us that Albert is done. It's like that point in a relationship when you realize that it isn't going to work out but you don't know how / are too scared to break up because of everything you've invested.

The sad thing is, with 4 years left on the deal, Albert has the potential to undo everything he has contributed to the team in the first half of the contract. Let's be generous and say Albert has provided us with 10 war over his Angel career. He is now down 1.5 this year, with enough time to sink toward -2. If he continues to decline next year he'll see a -2.5, and -3 the year after that. By the end of the 2020 season he will have erased all of his contributions from the first 5 seasons.

If the team is too afraid to face the truth now, then when should we expect that they will?

45 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I think its clear to all of us that Albert is done. It's like that point in a relationship when you realize that it isn't going to work out but you don't know how / are too scared to break up because of everything you've invested.

That's what happens when one gets fat and won't do any of the housework.

• 3 months later...
On 7/28/2017 at 9:02 PM, Jeff Fletcher said:

Pujols was hot just before the ASB. I looked it up today and he hit about .300 over about 55 ABs prior to this 0-21. It's a bad 5 games. He's had a lot of bad ABs and a few good ones where they've caught the balls.

hes slumping but it's not anything out of the range of a normal MLB player slump. 

Yet. 

On 7/29/2017 at 8:22 AM, hangin n wangin said:

Will you just stop please? The guy fucking sucks.

How long into the season before Fletcher/Scioscia are defending Pujols? Maybe even Spring Training?

Albert will have a better year than he did last year.  It won't be a great year but we will all be like 'meh.  I guess if he does that again I won't complain'.  

something like .250/.310/.430.  With Kinsler, Trout and Upton in front of him he'll drive in 120 runs and Troll Daddy will slap the bass all season.  

A couple of random things about him that I've seen/read over the years.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/21/sports/baseball/billy-eppler-is-rebuilding-the-angels-but-on-a-fast-track.html

Everybody wears red around the Los Angeles Angels. It has been their primary color since 2002, when they won their only World Series. They often wear red jerseys with red numerals. Their executives wear red golf shirts. Their players wear red undershirts, sweatshirts and shorts. The 3-foot Darth Vader figurine in the middle of the locker room? He wears a red jersey, too.

Albert Pujols is different. He wears a black undershirt around the clubhouse at Diablo Stadium. It distinguishes him from the crowd. One morning last week, while the Angels’ new general manager, Billy Eppler, spoke hopefully in a hallway about the team’s young core, Pujols strode by, silent and stern and purposeful.

“That guy’s just going to keep sitting in the middle of the order and doing his thing,” Eppler said. “He’s a pretty special guy.”

It seems small but just another case of Pujols not following the company line. Remember when he got pissed at Featherston for hitting his buddy Cano. I honestly think if the Angels got into a brawl Pujols would think of the hispanics over the team. 

https://www.mlb.com/news/angels-albert-pujols-has-consoled-erick-aybar/c-174522712

"He's been very positive," Pujols said in Spanish. "That's how he is. He's going to be just fine. You just have to let him play. It's just like when I came over from the American League; he's trying to get accustomed to the National League, getting to know the pitchers. People don't think that matters. It does. You have to get accustomed to the pitchers, see how they pitch you. That takes time, man."

Aybar is batting .134, drawing only a couple of walks, striking out 13 times and sporting a minus-3.4 Ultimate Zone Rating. A recent article in the Atlanta Journal Constitution called the Aybar acquisition "an unmitigated disaster" and said, "It's not an exaggeration to say Aybar has been arguably the worst position player in all of baseball."

"He's going to be fine," Pujols said. "But they have to play him. If they don't play him, that's when he's going to get frustrated. He's not somebody who's used to being on the bench."

Again it's almost like he thinks he's the GM. Lets say Cj Cron said: they have to play me, if not I'm going to be frustrated. I'm not somebody who's used to being on the bench." LOL. When Cron got sent down last year he said he wasn't frustrated, just going to get his at bats and improve to help the team. Pujols is literally soooooooo comfortable in his position, he thinks he's untouchable, almost like a 2nd coach.

I'm serious, the guy snaps at reporters, telling them it's none of their business when they ask about his hamstring, literally says he doesn't care about the media. Wasn't he supposed to come and mentor and improve the culture? Bring professionalism to the Angels, become the company man like his supposed 10 year services contract says he should be - a TRUE leader.

Kershaw took all the blame and said its always his fault. Pujols has literally done nothing but make excuses, create a negative energy for fans/media, doesn't hold himself accountable, he should be at the very minimum be a boost to the Angels brand by being a positive person for media/fans like Mauer, Votto, Wright. I can't even imagine those guys whining and making the excuses that this guy has. 

Wright, Mauer haven't been worth their contracts, but if they retired and put on a suit for the team they 'd still be respected by the fans for their behavior during their career. If Pujols tried to be a positive company man after he played I would literally laugh because it would be so phony. 

When he had a beef with Gerrit Cole he kind of went into the dugout fired up like he wanted some retaliation. Yet the dude won't even stand up for his own teammate like Featherston, Torii Hunter. He felt disrepected when Cole clapped, but he stares down his homeruns, doesn't run out ground balls, has zero self awareness, doesn't keep himself in shape. It's like everyone is forced to deny the truth and keep living as if the past is the present. 

I'm not saying he should give up money. That's not going to happen. But if he was released after another -2WAR season I think he'd complain to the media about no respect for what he's done for the game, blah blah. He literally says as long as he's having fun he wants to play BEYOND his contract to get to the HR record. He's so delusional, it hasn't even crossed his mind that he wouldn't even be wanted for anything other than a ST invite. He'd have to prove himself and that's a different mentality, like a rookie trying to battle for a spot anyway he can. He would probably quit rather than do that.

8 hours ago, IheartLA said:

How long into the season before Fletcher/Scioscia are defending Pujols? Maybe even Spring Training?

Apparently not as long as it took for people to start obsessing about Pujols being a disappointment.  December 14 of the off-season might be the new record.

In other news..... Water remains wet...