• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Pujols has been terrible

55 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I don't take offense. I understand that you're frustrated with Pujols and want him to quit. 

But if you read that USA Today story, then you already know how he feels about his career and that he's not retiring anytime soon. 

I can't make him change his mind by badgering him. 

I don't "want him to quit". . .I am a huge Pujols fan.  I simply think it is obviously time to start learning where he is mentally on his plan.  The performance this year is notable.  A fair FAN of both him and the team has this subject surging in their brain right now.

15 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Are we not allowed to point this out because it would make Calzone too happy?  

Good lord.  He's been just terrible.  

-1.0 WAR.  worst in the AL and 2nd worst in the majors.  He's got 270 plate appearances now for the season.  the highest K rate of his career.  The lowest bb rate.  

I know we don't want to feed the animals, but he's been just so awful.  Normally it was 'ok fine, he's not a #4 hitter, but who else would we put there'

Now,  He's literally unwatchable.  

And water is wet...

4 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

So you want them to bench him and play who instead?

Youll have to ask us this several times. Right now we want EYJ to learn first and replace him. Once he falls to earth and cron gets hot, we'll want cron. If revere gets hot for 9 days in july, well talk about him being a figgins type fast guy at the corner.

The only constant is that this is scioscias fault.

1 hour ago, mtangelsfan said:

You would shit your pants if you were ever face to face with Pujols mr. keyboard warrior 

Sorry to disappoint you but I had a whole career in sports communications in my twenties and spent plenty of time talking to future hall of gamers fave to face.  The main reason I left the business was money.  But one thing I learned that really disappointed me was the number of people in that business that were intimidated by the players or that very much seemed to care more about being accepted by the players than asking the hard question.

There was always that guy in the room or more than one.  It was pretty lame.

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

Oh please dude.  Jeff is in a business that carries accountability to his CUSTOMERS.  I doubt he is actually personally offended with a fan having a reasonable opinion that a huge subject at the center of an organization's plans going forward be directly prodded and addressed rather than passively ignoring it.  He's probably a big boy.

No it is not out of line to start asking direct questions to Pujols about when he will choose to retire.  It's not.

You might ask 100 times in a row until he answers, just like people asked potential presidential candidates if they are running or not for literally years until they finally answer.

If you don't care when Pujols retires, cool.

I care and want to know.  As soon as possible.  Wanting dude to ask isnt.put of line.  You are wrong.

You do know why those " media" members ask the same question 100 times, they have no real Journalism skills.

I think the real question is, to reframe @Jason from above, but add a bit more: How bad does Albert have to get while the Angels have a better option before Scioscia benches Albert in favor of that better option?

Right now Albert is bad, but not only is he hitting well in high leverage situations but the Angels don't have a better option. If Albert doesn't improve and Cron and/or Thaiss breakthrough, it becomes a serious question.

Let's assume a few things: Albert doesn't improve substantially, but doesn't get much worse for a few more years. Cron improves a bit, but only back to 2016 levels. Thaiss develops, but not to future star level; he looks like a .270, 20 HR type. First off, Albert's starting gig is secure in 2017. The only way that changes if Cron and Valbuena start murdering the ball. A similar situation might play out next year as well, and even for a year or two after that.

Remember, we have two slots for three players, so Albert only has to play better than one of the other two. Valbuena is only signed through 2018, so assuming the Angels don't trade Cron, Valbuena will be replaced by Thaiss.

So again, unless two of Valbuena, Cron, and Thaiss start killing the ball--and also assuming the Angels don't trade or sign a bigger bat for 1B--Albert probably starts 130-140+ games a year for the next few years. Unless, of course, he gets even worse. But the point is, it is a balancing act: how bad he gets, with how good others get. But he only has to out-play one other guy, and right now he's actually hitting better than both.

6 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Sorry to disappoint you but I had a whole career in sports communications in my twenties and spent plenty of time talking to future hall of gamers fave to face.  The main reason I left the business was money.  But one thing I learned that really disappointed me was the number of people in that business that were intimidated by the players or that very much seemed to care more about being accepted by the players than asking the hard question.

There was always that guy in the room or more than one.  It was pretty lame.

How about some examples of the "Tough questions" you asked and the answers you received during your 10 year career?

14 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

ATTENTION!!!!!

Forget about his current stats and the decline of a legend. Forget replacing him in the lineup because Sosh won't go there. 

The only way to get him out of here is to pay his full contract. 

Are we clear?

I'll still bet you whatever you want that he will retire before the end of his contract.  

Serious question, once you all have enough money to retire and live comfortably, by comfortable I mean you don't have to change your lifestyle, how much longer will you work?  I make pretty good money, I have a decent amount in my 401k.  By the time 58 or so, I won't have to work, and I won't.  

4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I'll still bet you whatever you want that he will retire before the end of his contract.  

I agree and this what I am talking about.  Smart people in the organization should probably be working on "helping" Albert decide an actual plan.  Like get your 3000 hits in 2018 and be on a farewell tour.

Just now, Dtwncbad said:

I agree and this what I am talking about.  Smart people in the organization should probably be working on "helping" Albert decide an actual plan.  Like get your 3000 hits in 2018 and be on a farewell tour.

Nope.  On a personal note I think this is what will happen, but it's Albert's call.  What the ones who want to see him go should hope for is he plays everyday, gets his 3000th hit while batting .200.  Then he can make the decision to retire. 

He'll reach 3,000 hits sometime in the middle of next year, and possibly could reach 2,000 RBI by the end of the year. If he's rebounded to 2016 form, I think he'll probably keep playing. If not, and if he's still struggling to slug .400, I think he might consider a phase out. But I would think we're going to have full-time Albert no matter what through 2018 at least.