• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Pujols has been terrible

2 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Hi, @Jeff Fletcher it's not about this season, it is moving forward with a guy that can no longer play the game. I get they have almost no one as a replacement player this season, or at least in a somewhat lost season there is no reason to rock the boat with a showdown with Pujols. 

But realistically they cannot pursue a pennant with Albert in the lineup, batting fourth, unable to run, unable to draw walks unable to hit for average. When is this conversation going to take place and why haven't the local writers addressed this? 

Is Pujols a subject that can't be held to the same scrutiny as other underperforming players on any other MLB roster? As someone pointed out before, Albert would be drawn and quartered by the east coast press at this stage of his career if he is playing on their teams. Here he seems to escape any questions about finally calling it a career. 

Your premise that Pujols "can no longer play the game" isn't true, as far as the Angels and Pujols are concerned. They have made that clear. 

So I, as a reporter, am somehow supposed to change their minds?

It doesn't matter what my opinion is.

5 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2017/06/04/albert-pujols-600-home-runs-future-home-run-record/102490006/

If you read this story, you won't have any questions about his plans, circa June 2017.

If a couple terrible months go by, or if he gets hurt, then it's worth asking again. 

Not now. 

We know the answer now. 

Thanks for being honest. As fans we've watched the decline and feel like no one is willing to the old war horse down. 

This isn't the player he should be at the end of his career, a shell of his former self. I have long respected his determination to play through pain, go through surgery and PT every off season to be ready in April. But he just has taken too many punches and putting him out there for another round seems wrong, even if he wants to keep going. 

Hey, I missed most of the thread responses and you covered this ground but I'd still like to see an end game. 

27 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

This is like saying "Why won't you go into Taco Bell and order an omelet? Are you afraid to ask?"

It's just a dumb question because you know the answer. 

I would be more afraid to eat a Taco Bell omelet.

22 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

This is like saying "Why won't you go into Taco Bell and order an omelet? Are you afraid to ask?"

It's just a dumb question because you know the answer. 

It's nothing like that.  But let me fix you example to make it accurate.

It would be like if everyone knows taco bell WILL at some point stop selling tacos and switch to omelets, and in the meantime the quality of their tacos became almost inedible.  Uh, people probably would start pushing for an answer when the switch to omelets was happening.

I  guess I ruffled a couple of feathers pushing.  Don't take offense.  I believe it is about time to push the subject and you disagree.  That's fine but I won't apologize for knowing there are lots and lots of people in your business that will avoid hard questions.  So if someone says this is a ridiculous question and I dont agree, then wondering out loud abput fear isnt unreasonable.

No personal offense intended, my belief is your profession carries organically some of this scrutiny.

25 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

@Jeff Fletcher

While you're at it could you please ask Pennington, Espinosa, Street, Scioscia, Roenicke when they'll be leaving also. Thanks. 

Would this be a good time to ask when you are leaving?  Personally I don't contribute to the success of the team, but I am not leaving.  Then again maybe I will if my computer breaks, or if I have to read more stupid posts like some found in this thread.  If you had a 10 year contract with four years left on your contract to post here and were owed $114M I doubt you would speculate on when you would retire.  You would laugh off the question.  Then again you might get pissed that we asked you such a personal question that implied you weren't contributing. 

10 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

It would be like if everyone knows taco bell WILL at some point stop selling tacos and switch to omelets, and in the meantime the quality of their tacos became almost inedible.  Uh, people probably would start pushing for an answer when the switch to omelets was happening.

I  guess I ruffled a couple of feathers pushing.  Don't take offense.  I believe it is about time to push the subject and you disagree.  That's fine but I won't apologize for knowing there are lots and lots of people in your business that will avoid hard questions.  So if someone says this is a ridiculous question and I dont agree, then wondering out loud abput fear isnt unreasonable.

No personal offense intended, my belief is your profession carries organically some of this scrutiny.

It isn't the medias job to push him out the door.  It isn't the medias job to hold him accountable for his performance.  If you don't like his performance stop watching, that's your voice.  

8 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I don't take offense. I understand that you're frustrated with Pujols and want him to quit. 

But if you read that USA Today story, then you already know how he feels about his career and that he's not retiring anytime soon. 

I can't make him change his mind by badgering him. 

29 minutes ago, Jason said:

To be fair you did make a reference to his nads though. Those things are a bit personal 

Yeah that was a mistake and I think I explained the context and subsequent post.  Not personal.  Should have worded differently to make it generic.  Lots of people in that business wont ask hard questions.  That's real.

I don't know Jeff.  I just would like the subject pushed.

31 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2017/06/04/albert-pujols-600-home-runs-future-home-run-record/102490006/

If you read this story, you won't have any questions about his plans, circa June 2017.

If a couple terrible months go by, or if he gets hurt, then it's worth asking again. 

Not now. 

We know the answer now. 

“People ask me when I’ll retire, but as long as I’m still producing in this game, as long as I’m still competing, as long as I’m still having fun, why should I stop?

Do all three of these have to present? 

4 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

If he continues to struggle like this, at least move him out of the three or four-spot.

Since home run #600, he's been working a .422 OPS and a .156 batting average. Dreadful.

Once again, who do they put there? With 42 rbi, he is driving in runs and I don't see anyone else on the roster with potential to do that.

1 minute ago, Angelsjunky said:

What do you think "pushing the subject" will accomplish?

Dtwncbad: "Hey Albert, you suck. Have you checked your WAR and wRC+ lately? When are you going to retire?"

Albert: "Holy crap, you're right. I haven't checked my advanced metrics lately. I'm going to do the honorable thing and retire."

My biggest question is if he really keeps going downhill would the Angels consider less playing time come 2018?

Just now, Jason said:

My biggest question is if he really keeps going downhill would the Angels consider less playing time come 2018?

That is a legitimate question. I suppose it depends on how bad he got, and if someone else was ready to step up. Cron hasn't pushed the issue, neither has Valbuena. Matt Thaiss is looking like another dud first-rounder, but if he every starts hitting he could push the issue and take over first base, which would limit options for DH.

As I think someone said above, there simply aren't any better options right now. If Cron was killing the ball and Thaiss was ready, Albert--at this level of performance--would probably start losing starts, although it is hard to imagine Scioscia benching him. Albert might have to self-bench, and he won't do that until it is really clear he can't hit.

16 minutes ago, tomsred said:

Would this be a good time to ask when you are leaving?  Personally I don't contribute to the success of the team, but I am not leaving.  Then again maybe I will if my computer breaks, or if I have to read more stupid posts like some found in this thread.  If you had a 10 year contract with four years left on your contract to post here and were owed $114M I doubt you would speculate on when you would retire.  You would laugh off the question.  Then again you might get pissed that we asked you such a personal question that implied you weren't contributing. 

Well then you answered the question. At this point in Albert's career he's accomplished everything. MVP's, World Championships, Silver Sluggers, All Star teams and milestones. The only thing left to do now is to collect on his guaranteed contract. He won't leave without it.

14 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Are we not allowed to point this out because it would make Calzone too happy?  

Good lord.  He's been just terrible.  

-1.0 WAR.  worst in the AL and 2nd worst in the majors.  He's got 270 plate appearances now for the season.  the highest K rate of his career.  The lowest bb rate.  

I know we don't want to feed the animals, but he's been just so awful.  Normally it was 'ok fine, he's not a #4 hitter, but who else would we put there'

Now,  He's literally unwatchable.  

I brought this up a few nights ago in the EY thread and was reprimanded... 

Agreed, was thinking about it the last few days. You hope he finds his bat again, and i think he will to a certain point, but the certain point will be a few weeks of "pretty good", then drop again.

I know no one believes it, but inalmost guarantee he hangs it up soon. Likely not after this year, but for sire after the next. I think hes got an eye on a certain HR number and thats all he cares about right now. If he finishes say 5th all time, he'll walk away and start his 10 mill a year job as artes yacht first mate.

If theres any silver lining, that should coincide with the big FA class after next year.