• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jose Fernandez killed in boating accident

Oz27

it's a fishing boat, i wonder if they were out early predawn to fish and seemingly just didn't see the jetty. i'm sure, because it's an athlete, a lot of people just naturally think they were out drunk. that may end up being the case, but this has the look of a standard issue boating accident. just going too fast near shore.

We have been down this road a couple of times with the Angels -- Lyman Bostock and Nick Adenhart. Three times if you count Jimmy Reese at a gas station in the desert.

I can only offer condolences to the family, friends, teammates and fans of Jose Fernandez.

Fernandez was originally supposed to be today's starter for Miami, but he got the day off so another pitcher coming off the DL could get a start. Life is fickle. If his start hadn't been pushed back, he would not have been on that boat last night.

Why the hell was he on a boat that small out in the ocean in the middle of the night? And why was the boat going full speed?

It just doesn't seem safe to me at all. Don't these guys consider what they're risking when they participate in these kinds of activities?

And then the dude driving doesn't even have the brains to avoid the jetty? 

This is just terrible. 

Rest in Peace Jose. Sorry buddy.

Absolutely terrible news (I just heard about it 20 minutes ago).

What I just don't understand is why the hell are you out boating at 3:30 AM when you have an afternoon game. I guess if you're a millionare, you do stupid things like that. Either way, tragic death and RIP. Sucks overall but it could have been avoided (unlike Adenhart's death).

RIP Jose Fernandez!  You were on course to be one of the greats!

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/mlb/miami-marlins/article104073926.html

I have actually been boating there from Miami around Star & Fisher Islands around Miami Beach & the Port.  Supposed to go slow in the waterway around there & the jetty.  Maybe it was high tide and jetty was submerged.

10 minutes ago, TooCool said:

Absolutely terrible news (I just heard about it 20 minutes ago).

What I just don't understand is why the hell are you out boating at 3:30 AM when you have an afternoon game. I guess if you're a millionare, you do stupid things like that. Either way, tragic death and RIP. Sucks overall but it could have been avoided (unlike Adenhart's death).

He was found at 3:30.  We don't know when the boat hit the rocks yet.  Also, he was a passenger in the boat

1 hour ago, TeemuTrout said:

Can you not politicize a tragedy? Have some respect.

He isn't politicizing anything. He was highlighting Fernandez's patriotism, optimism, and love of country, contrasted with another prominent athlete. There was nothing wrong with what he said. 

3 hours ago, eligrba4ever said:

We have been down this road a couple of times with the Angels -- Lyman Bostock and Nick Adenhart. Three times if you count Jimmy Reese at a gas station in the desert.

I can only offer condolences to the family, friends, teammates and fans of Jose Fernandez.

Fernandez was originally supposed to be today's starter for Miami, but he got the day off so another pitcher coming off the DL could get a start. Life is fickle. If his start hadn't been pushed back, he would not have been on that boat last night.

Preston Gomez

5 hours ago, ukyah said:

it's a fishing boat, i wonder if they were out early predawn to fish and seemingly just didn't see the jetty. i'm sure, because it's an athlete, a lot of people just naturally think they were out drunk. that may end up being the case, but this has the look of a standard issue boating accident. just going too fast near shore.

With a boat that side, you cut the engines, and it will stop quickly.  Probably faster than a car can stop. 

So either they didn't see the jetty.  Which seems strange, because even at night, unless there was fog, you should be able to see the lights that are placed at the edge of the jetties.  And if there was fog, you wouldn't be going fast, since fog and fast don't go well together.

So I'm thinking mechanical failure?  If it was a hydraulic system, and they had hydraulic failure.  Maybe they couldn't turn, and with inexperience, didn't throttle down (or that was even busted)?

Failos,  

Your image clearly shows a red buoy & the rule is red buoy is supposed to be on your right when returning from sea ( red right returning).  Heading South in Atlantic their boat was to the right of the red buoy hitting the North jetty to make right turn which is incorrect.  Not wearing life preservers & not using GPS, no ship to shore mayday.

There are only a handful of players outside of the Angels that I follow regularly and Jose was one of them. He was incredible on the mound, but his personality was contagious. He always seemed to not only live, but love life to the fullest. Here are some great interviews that shows who he was as a person. Man, I'm going to really miss him.

2013: http://m.mlb.com/wsh/video/topic/17396516/v30123797/jose-fernandez-joins-chris-and-kevin-on-it

2014: http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/17396516/v32494537/jose-fernandez-chats-with-intentional-talk

2015: http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/17396516/v195602483/jose-fernandez-joins-intentional-talk

9 hours ago, m0nkey said:

He was found at 3:30.  We don't know when the boat hit the rocks yet.  Also, he was a passenger in the boat

This. For all we know, that boat could have hit hours earlier and was just found in the am.

I'll say this, if anything, it really puts Tommy John surgeries in perspective. There's a lot worse things in the world...